H9000 Feature Request: Stereo drag and drop

Home Forums Products Rackmount H9000 Feature Request: Stereo drag and drop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      joeydego
      Participant

Would be nice for a control+click and drag or similar to drag in stereo pairs in emote. Would really cut down routing to half the time. Or perhaps a “route only in stereo pairs” function on the algorithm page. That would rock. 

cyborgssc
      Participant

Yes, routing needs to be seriously improved, especially for cases where you have lots of I/O. I have both Dante and MADI cards, so there are about 100 inputs and 100 outputs available for both FX chain routing and direct routes. I would prefer the route creation options that a tool like Dante Controller offers, but multi-channel drag/drop would be better than nothing. Here’s feedback I gave Patrick more than a year ago on the 1.1 beta:

When creating audio routes, being able to multi-select sources and then drag all of them to a set of destinations would save time. Even stereo pairs would be faster to create if I could grab 2 inputs and drag them to the inputs of an Algorithm (and/or outputs to outputs). Where this would really be handy is in the Direct I/O, say if I want to grab 8, 16 or 24 MADI inputs and direct route them to 8/16/24 Dante outputs. That part is quite tedious right now. Of course I will create template sessions that have all of the I/O setup correctly, so this is more of a time saver for FX Chain/algorithm I/O manipulation.

ndoe22
      Participant
      joeydego wrote:

Would be nice for a control+click and drag or similar to drag in stereo pairs in emote. Would really cut down routing to half the time. Or perhaps a “route only in stereo pairs” function on the algorithm page. That would rock. 

Yes a faster method to do multiple ins/outs would be nice

tmoravan
      Participant

Drag and drop is very intuitive and can be great for lots of things.

However, something like setting up large routing configurations may be faster using an old-fashioned matrix with inputs across the top and outpts down the side or something.  Then you’d just click the boxes where the I and O intersected.  You could add intelligence to prevent illegal routings and such, but an approach like that might make setting up the initial config faster.  Then you could use the graphical drag approach for the special cases or to tweak it.once the base configuration is set.

cyborgssc
      Participant
      tmoravan wrote:

Drag and drop is very intuitive and can be great for lots of things.

However, something like setting up large routing configurations may be faster using an old-fashioned matrix with inputs across the top and outpts down the side or something.  Then you’d just click the boxes where the I and O intersected.  You could add intelligence to prevent illegal routings and such, but an approach like that might make setting up the initial config faster.  Then you could use the graphical drag approach for the special cases or to tweak it.once the base configuration is set.

This is what I meant by referencing Dante Controller above. The main route creation is exactly the matrix you describe. However, this gets tedious for cases where you just need MADI outputs 1-24 routed to DANTE inputs 1-24. For that, Dante Controller has a drag/drop interface in its Device view – you just multi-select the desired outputs and drag them onto a device’s inputs. They also have a full save/load preset system for routing that uses XML files.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.