H910 chromatic scale display

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H910 chromatic scale display

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

On the H910 setting I'm trying to just detune by a semitone. However the pitch display doesn't display a chromatic scale. I've tried using the scale/speed knob to select "chromatic" but the display still shows a decimal scale. Any advice please on how to set this up for a detuned semitone down? 

AAgnello
      Eventide Staff

The H910 alg is true to the primitive display and control of the original hardware. A semitone is 6% up or down from unity. So, 1.06 or 0.94.

Thanks very much!

Incidentally I'm looking to reproduce the drum sound used by Tony Visconti on David Bowie's "Low" album which I believe involved detuning the snare by a semitone and looping the output back into the harmoniser.

AAgnello
      Eventide Staff

I think Visconti describes this in his autobiography "Bowie, Bolan and the Brooklyn Boy"

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      I've tried using the scale/speed knob to select "chromatic" but the display still shows a decimal scale.

You may not need the MIDI control references here, but there are links to some pictures and original documentation that will give you a visual idea.

By the way, I think that you'll find that you can create the effect internally with feedback, without having to re-route the output.

Thanks very much, really helpful stuff. 

So I guess the original 910 didn't have any of its own feedback regeneration then? Useful if I can do this within the Pitchfactor, I'll be able to recreate the sound I want live.

AAgnello
      Eventide Staff

It has a feedback control. Here's a video that someone posted last year playing with the original hardware. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r1NZuKJyKI

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      Incidentally I'm looking to reproduce the drum sound used by Tony Visconti on David Bowie's "Low" album … if I can do this within the Pitchfactor, I'll be able to recreate the sound I want live.

The guy from Eventide answering all of your questions above is certainly more qualified that I am here.  He invented it.  But this should get you started:

BreakingGlass

Mix = WET:50

Pitch Mix = A10+B10

Pitch A = A: 0.944

Pitch B = B: 0.944

Delay A = 30 ms.

Delay B = 30 ms.

(encoder) = 910/949/ TMP OFF

Depth / Key = H910

Speed / Scale = CHROMTC

Xnob = FBK-A:  80

Ynob = FBK-B:  80

This uses both pitch shifters set up identically; you may only need one.  Adjust the Pitch or Delay knob slightly in one of the pitch shifters to get a thicker sound.  General rule of thumb for this kind of effect:  Longer delay time – less feedback level.

If you want to remain 'authentic', keep the Depth/Key knob on H910, and have your Delay set close to an increment of 7.5, 15, 30, and 60 ms. [the original switch selections – up to 112.5 ms.].  Of course, a setting of MODERN with any number of milliseconds is fair game, and noticeably cleaner.

The PitchFactor makes it easy to switch between downshifting and upwards pitch shifts with an aux switch, expression pedal, or over MIDI.  Move the Mix knob higher for more effect with less of the original signal.

Thanks, I was playing with this setting and it's excellent, really appreciate the help I've had!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.