Harmadillo One Step Closer To A Univibe?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Harmadillo One Step Closer To A Univibe?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      apalazzolo
      Participant

Hi all!  Please let me know if you have any thoughts at all on the following crazy idea.  Thanks!

I’m a big fan of Harmadillo and I’m currently using it as a Univibe substitute.  It sounds pretty close and I could remain happy as it is.  However, I wonder if I can get even closer by applying an LFO to one or more of the Harmadillo parameters.

I’ve recently added a Morningstar midi controller which has a signal generator (a sine, triangle, or square LFO) that can be assigned to various H9 parameters.  My approach is to add some randomness/irregularity/complexity to the throb of the Harmadillo oscillator thereby suggest some phase cancellation.   I wonder if that could be achieved by applying a midi LFO to one or more of the SHAPE, DEPTH, DRIVE, X-OVER, or X-OVERLAP parameters.  If SHAPE, that parameter might swing from sine to fat sine to phat sine to triangle and back.  The midi LFO rate might be close to the RATE parameter of Harmadillo.

I’m guessing here so I’d love to hear any thoughts you may have.

apalazzolo
      Participant

Relatedly, does anyone know if Harmadillo outputs different right and left signals when both outs are connected to a stereo rig?  If so, how do these signals differ?  Possibly, the signal below the crossover point is sent to one output and the signal above to the other?

All thoughts appreciated.

brock
      Participant

… I wonder if I can get even closer by applying an LFO to one or more of the Harmadillo parameters. I’ve recently added a Morningstar midi controller which has a signal generator (a sine, triangle, or square LFO) that can be assigned to various H9 parameters …

Congratulations.  External controllers ‘create’ new H9 parameters.  They’re incredible additions to all kinds of H9 situations, as long as you don’t overload it with CC messages.  For example, LFOs modifying detune depths in MicroPitch (astounding surprise), or ‘time modulation’ in any DELAY algorithm (I use that with those XFADE presets to great effect).  Loop switchers, he SA Reflex, MIDI keyboards & step sequencers, expression pedal ramp triggers, … there are many cool options to tap out there now.

For UniVibe, I modify at the source most often, as opposed to the destination.  I’ll use the LFO ‘skew’ in an MPX-1, or an 8 Step Program sequence with some Glide.  Then mirror the front panel of a Korg NuVibe as a waveform template.  But that doesn’t mean you can’t approach similar results shaping at the destination.  You can often come close enough by mixing two internal SHAPE/ MOD SOURCE in ModFactor algos.

I haven’t given Harmadillo as much exploration time as perhaps I should have.  My 1st thought was possibly having a common LFO waveform controlling a smaller range of the 0-100 SLOPE (in SHAPE).  My 2nd thought was that it might be more accurate to control multiple parameters by targeting the Expression Pedal programming with the LFO.  In my mind’s ear, that has potential to get the characteristic growl.

Interesting concept to explore.  I’m going to try out a few things later on (after the NFL playoff games).  As for your 2nd question … my hunch is that the HIGH / LOW bands are partially mixed – not strictly split – in a stereo field, but I could be wrong there.  I’ll confirm that, as well.  My 3rd thought was – if you have this luxury – a 2nd H9 in series could get you ‘spectral panning’ with the Sculpt algorithm.

apalazzolo
      Participant

Excellent input.  “Apply the LFO to the ribbon controller parameter.”  Wow!  Mind blown!

I’m hearing a wah-like component to a Univibe throb that is missing from Harmadillo.

So one thing I’ll try is to apply the LFO to the TONE parameter.   Alternatively, I’ll also try notching out the X-OVERLAP parameter and applying the LFO to the X-OVER parameter (to sweep the notch across the frequency spectrum).    This later approach seems similar to the difference between between a harmonic trem and a Univibe as described by Dan of That Pedal Show here:

https://youtu.be/Te97X_WBRyQ?t=1227

Thanks.

apalazzolo
      Participant

Incidentally, the Rotary algo has TONE and ROT/HRN MIX parameters that could be modulated with an LFO.  Doing so might possibly make Rotary a bit more vibey (by adding a little bit of wah) too.  Worth a try.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.