help choosing unit

Home Forums Products Stompboxes help choosing unit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      kinswood

I appreciate the advice. I’m an old-school guy  and get overwhelmed easily by technology. I’d like to buy the right thing the first time if possible. I’m looking for something for live performance, something to replace my chorus, flanger, delay pedals for example. Are the H9 pedals set up to easily switch between your favorite presets during live performance?  I’d love to find great, meat and potatoes sounds. Thank you!!

BMW-KTM
      Participant

Using a midi capable looper/switcher makes accessing different user presets pretty easy.

A less easy way would be to have an iPad mounted to your mic stand and switch using the H9 Control app.

You would need to change the setting to “Never” in the iPad’s AutoLock setting so the device doesn’t sleep on you in the middle of your performance.

If it sleeps you’ll need to reestablish the bluetooth connection.

The iPad route would be acceptable if you did not require switching during playing but were able to use one user preset per song and could change between songs.

If, for example, you were using Crush Station as your OD/Dist effect and you had one preset set up for your main tone and a second one set up for lead breaks or maybe a second tone for a bridge, it would require you to take your hands away from your guitar to make the change.

If you want to switch between settings via footswitch then you’ll want a midi looper/switcher.

I have the One Control Crocodile Tail Loop and it makes swicthing between my presets really easy.

gkellum
      Participant
      kinswood wrote:

I appreciate the advice. I'm an old-school guy  and get overwhelmed easily by technology. I'd like to buy the right thing the first time if possible. I'm looking for something for live performance, something to replace my chorus, flanger, delay pedals for example. Are the H9 pedals set up to easily switch between your favorite presets during live performance?  I'd love to find great, meat and potatoes sounds. Thank you!!

BMW-KTM gave some great tips above.  I thought it would be good to explain how preset loading on the H9 itself works.

The H9 has two footswitches.  The right footswitch advances up through the presets.  A preset is in pending mode until you press the left footswitch to activate it.  You can press the big, black wheel in the center of the H9 to flip the right footswitch from incrementing to decrementing.  So, you can use that to go down in a list.

You can also use your hands to press the preset switch on the H9 and use the big, black wheel to scroll to any arbitrary preset.

You can limit the preset range of the H9 as well.  If you're only using half a dozen presets, you can set it to scroll through only these half a dozen presets.  So, when you get to the last preset it will wrap around and come to the first preset again.

Some people are perfectly happy with just using the footswitches on the H9 to load presets, but the more content you have on the H9 the more you might want to consider other options that allow you to easily go up or down or to load specific presets.  BMW-KTM already talked a bit about how MIDI or an iPad are good options for loading presets.  Another option would be to use an aux switch.  You can get a 3 button DigiTech FS3X for around $40, and you can easily set that up to increment and decrement through a preset list.  Barn 3 also makes a really nice 2 button aux switch that sits flush against the H9: http://www.barn3.com/shop/ox9

gkellum
      Participant
      kinswood wrote:

I'm looking for something for live performance, something to replace my chorus, flanger, delay pedals for example.  I'd love to find great, meat and potatoes sounds. 

With regards to the H9s audio effects, we've been working on creating pages where you can listen to audio samples of each algorithm and explore what their knobs do.  Unfortunately, some of the algorithms only have a single audio sample at the moment, but we're working on recording more samples for those the last few weeks and will post them asap:

https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/algorithms/index

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.