Help! Communication Error

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Help! Communication Error

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      PBS
      Participant

Since the last iOS update, I’m unable to use both of my pedals at the same time. Max & Core.
      H9 Control
      Version 2.9.3

mistercharlie
      Participant

Same for me, iPad Pro running the beta of iOS 11.2. I know, it’s a beta, but I thought I’d let you know. I get the error until I force-quit the H9 Control app, and relaunch it. Then everything is fine until the next time I connect the pedal.

gkellum
      Participant
      PBS wrote:
      Since the last iOS update, I’m unable to use both of my pedals at the same time. Max & Core. H9 Control Version 2.9.3

Well we just updated H9 Control yesterday to version 2.9.3.  Did this just start after updating H9 Control, or was it occurring before?  I guess I'm trying to understand if this is due to a small change we made in the latest version of the app or due to the changes in iOS 11.

Also, if I were you, I'd try the following.  I'd reset the system settings on my H9s by restarting them with the right footswitch and the HotKnob switch pressed (the switch in the upper left hand corner of the H9).  And I'd try resetting the network settings of my iOS device by going into the Settings app, going to General and going to Reset.  If you wouldn't mind giving this a try, could you let us know if that helps?

mistercharlie
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:

Well we just updated H9 Control yesterday to version 2.9.3.  Did this just start after updating H9 Control, or was it occurring before?  I guess I'm trying to understand if this is due to a small change we made in the latest version of the app or due to the changes in iOS 11.

For me, it happened right after the update.

mistercharlie
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:

For me, it happened right after the 2.9.3 update. It’s been fine in iOS 11 up until now.

gkellum
        Participant
        mistercharlie wrote:
        For me, it happened right after the 2.9.3 update. It’s been fine in iOS 11 up until now.

Ok, so you wrote, "I get the error until I force-quit the H9 Control app, and relaunch it. Then everything is fine until the next time I connect the pedal."

So, you get the same connection error that PBS posted above or does something else happen?

I also don't understand what you meant by everything is fine until the next time I connect the pedal.  Do you mean that if your iOS device goes out of range of your H9 and then comes back into range and you reconnect via Bluetooth then you have to fore quit the app to get it to connect to the pedal?

PBS
        Participant

It happened right after updating H9 Control. It wasn’t occurring before.
        Now I’m on iOS 11.1
        I did the iOS network and the pedals resetting . It didn’t help.
        Both pedals won’t work at the same time.
        With one pedal, the problem occur also right after I check my email.

gkellum
      Participant

In the last release the only thing we changed was allowing the app to run in the background instead of forcing it to exit if you switched to a different app.  Since iOS 11 is supposed to support multi-tasking we know a lot of people found it annoying that the app would quit when it was no longer in the foreground.  But the reason we hadn't done this in the past is we learned that putting the app in the background could cause unreliable Bluetooth behavior.  When we were testing the Bluetooth behavior on devices in house we didn't see any problems though.  So, we thought that Apple must have fixed the Bluetooth problems that occurred in earlier releases when you put an app in the background.

I've been reading a bit more about the problem though, and it seems like quite a lot of apps that use Bluetooth are having the same problem that we are on iOS 11.  And the problems become especially severe if you let your app go into the background:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/87451

So, I think we're going to undo that change for now and force H9 Control to quit again when it's not in the foreground.  

Would you guys mind collecting some diagnostic information that we can send to Apple though to look at?  We would like them to fix this problem.  I'd like to open a bug report with them, but they're going to request diagnostic logs that show the problem.  The following pdf explains how to collect such a log.

http://ftp.eventide.com/ljdl/misc/Bluetooth_Logging_Instructions.pdf

http://ftp.eventide.com/jdl/misc/iOSBluetoothLogging.mobileconfig

If you do collect one, I'd appreciate it if you could send it to me.  My email address is my user name plus @eventide.com.

peterfrequency
      Participant

This is happening to me too. Haven’t read the whole thread yet. I’m on the latest iOS, latest H9 control, both released in the last few days. Using one Max and one Core. I have an iPaid Pro 10.5 and an Air 2 and it’s happening with both. This is probably affecting a lot of people.

peterfrequency
      Participant

Can’t seem to successfully communicate with either pedal now.

Tried installing the Bluetooth logging profile to my iPad but following the directions took me to signing up for a developer account – I did it – and I assumed it would then let me download and install the profile but unfortunately it’s not working for me here.

gkellum
        Participant
        peterfrequency wrote:

Tried installing the Bluetooth logging profile to my iPad but following the directions took me to signing up for a developer account – I did it – and I assumed it would then let me download and install the profile but unfortunately it's not working for me here.

Well, that's annoying.  Thank you for trying.  

We're submitting a new release to Apple now that rolls back the change we made in the last release.  It was only a one line change to allow the app to go into the background instead of exiting when it's moved to the background, but that change seemed to cause a lot of problems for some people.

gkellum
      Participant

Have you guys tried the latest version of H9 Control that was released earlier this week, i.e. v2.9.4?  From what we've heard, it's fixed other users connectivity issues.

mistercharlie
      Participant

Fixed for me! Such a shame it didn’t work. I really liked being able to switch back and forth between apps without H9 control resetting itself.

markus.hagen

I also get communication errors with iOS 11.1.2 and control app 2.9.4. I have tried all resets possible. After connecting via Bluetooth and starting the control app the app seems to work for some time but then the attached error message comes up. Distance between H9 and iOS device (iPhone 6 or iPad Air) max. 2 meters.

markus.hagen
        markus.hagen wrote:

I also get communication errors with iOS 11.1.2 and control app 2.9.4. I have tried all resets possible. After connecting via Bluetooth and starting the control app the app seems to work for some time but then the attached error message comes up. Distance between H9 and iOS device (iPhone 6 or iPad Air) max. 2 meters.

25 Nov. 2017: I have tried my old iPhone 4 with iOS 7.1.2 and H9 app version 2.9.4 – same connectivity problem. This iPhone worked fine before. I believe that something is wrong with the iOS app.

gkellum
        Participant
        markus.hagen wrote:

Well, does the connection between the app and the H9 continue working despite seeing that communication error message, or does it stop working altogether and you have to do something to your iOS device or your H9 to fix the problem?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.