Help getting Helix preset to load H9 preset in a patch by either CC or PC

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Help getting Helix preset to load H9 preset in a patch by either CC or PC

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      glorioso

Can anyone please help me. All I get is how easy it is, but I can’t get anyone to help me figure this out. I am a MIDI novice.

ALL I want to do is have a H9 preset call up when I open a helix preset. i don’t want to scroll H9 presets, I simply want to have a H9 preset load into a footswitch just like any other effect. In this photo I have the FX loop that holds the H9, MIDI in is set to CC98 but it doesn’t load CC98. In fact it doesn’t load or change anything on the H9.

If I can load H9 presets into my patches or snap shots with CC or PC commands, then it’s useless to me, but everyone raves about the H9 working so seamlessly  with Helix. I don’t find this to be true.

Please don’t send me the youtube video where the guy gets the mix on the expression pedal to work. He leaves out a bunch of steps and I can’t get that to work either. My exp pedal only can do the default H9 settings at this point.

camn
      Participant

Use PC to call H9 presets, not CC. Program Change, Not Continuous Control. (Its so obvious in the names!)

The Default on the H9 is offset by 1…PC#0 calls preset #1…etc…but it can be re-assigned in H9 Control if it bothers you.

So Have the Helix send PC messages.

Some other guys have a Helix, and can maybe help youmore…if you need help getting the Helix to send certain messages.

And breathe easy- the H9 is very responsive to MIDI. 

You might need to spend some time learning a little bit more… but Your Helix will work just fine. Study for 10 minutes on the TYPES of MIDI messages, and make sure you understand MIDI Channels… and you will be well on your way.

glorioso

Thanks for your time, but still not remotely working. Now I don’t hear my guitar but hear the effect. I’ll keep at it…

camn
      Participant

What midi message, (and what channel) are you sending to your H9 to try and call a preset?

Still cc98? Cuz cc98 will never work. You cannot directly call presets on the H9 with CC. You could set cc98 to change other things.. or to scroll.. but not to directly call.

But if your H9 is still at default.. you should get a response from any PC message..0-98. You can confirm it in H9 control under 

pedal settings >> MIDI settings >> Program Change Recieve Map

While you are in MIDI settings , you can double check your channel setting.. and assign CC messages to many, many functions.

wilkinsi
      Participant

Use Bank/Prog in command centre to trigger your H9 to switch to a specific preset. I can give you step by step instructions, but it will cost you a Baked Alaska. Seriously, you can’t buy it in the UK anymore.

Paul2916
      Participant

Like Glorioso who started this thread, all I want to do is step on a Helix preset and have H9 recall a sound but I cannot seem to get the Helix to ‘talk’ to the H9 try as I might.

Is there a simple step-by-step guide anywhere? The Youtube videos assume knowledge (as does this thread) and I need something in simple steps.

I’m not new to midi. I use the Helix to change the amp channels on my Marshall JVM via midi per preset. The Marshall instantly responded to midi change signals being sent out by the Helix but the H9 does not. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

camn
      Participant

What midi message, (and what channel) are YOU sending to your H9 to try and call a preset, then?

I feel like this should be a required answer for all MIDI 🙂

camn
      Participant

That’s great!
      I try to ask questions that, by answering it, you solve the problem.

In re: Bypass… You can design the H9s Program Change (PC) map to respond with bypass to any particular PC message. Also remember, you can store an H9s preset in a bypassed state if you wanna have it ‘on standby’ when you open up a scene.

joeydego
      Participant

Speaking of the offset (0 is 1, 1 is 2 etc) can this possibly be addressed in a future firmware release? At least an option to make 1, 1? 

camn
      Participant

You can manually fix the offset, by re-assigning the map in H9 control.
      It’s a chore, but you only do it once and it ónly takes, like, 10 minutes.

Paul2916
      Participant
      camn wrote:
      What midi message, (and what channel) are YOU sending to your H9 to try and call a preset, then? I feel like this should be a required answer for all MIDI 🙂

Hi Camn,

That question got me thinking… In the Helix ‘Global Settings’ under ‘Midi/Tempo’ I found an option to change the ‘Midi PC Send’ to ‘Midi’. It looks like that has solved the problem as now when I step on a Helix preset, the H9 conjures up a preset and my Marshall changes channel too.

I have the Helix set to Midi Base Channel 1(Global Settings), the H9 set to Midi Receive Channel ‘Omni’ and the H9 Midi Output Mode to ‘Thru’. I think the Marshall is set to receive on ‘Omni’ too.

All I have to do now is find out how to put the required H9 presets into position so that when I recall a Helix preset it activates the required H9 preset (including summoning ‘Bypass’ as a preset if necessary) but I think that I have seen things about that in passing whilst I was trying to solve my midi conundrum.

Thank you for your help and support.

brock
      Participant

Glad you got it working.  Just a couple things to consider:

Paul2916 wrote:
      … I have the Helix set to Midi Base Channel 1(Global Settings), the H9 set to Midi Receive Channel ‘Omni’ and the H9 Midi Output Mode to ‘Thru’. I think the Marshall is set to receive on ‘Omni’ too …

Omni mode works, because it listens on all 16 MIDI Channels.  But it can also become problematic, because it will respond to anything coming in.  If your setup gets any more complicated, you might want to match each device to a single MIDI Channel; both the send/transmit and receive sides.

Paul2916 wrote:
      … All I have to do now is find out how to put the required H9 presets into position so that when I recall a Helix preset it activates the required H9 preset…

The H9’s Program Change Receive Map.  Match the incoming Program Change message to whatever preset is loaded in the H9.  Just be aware that some devices count Program Changes from 0-127; some start from 1 to 128.  And the H9 presets number from 1-99.  The “off-by-one trap” has been around since the dawn of MIDI.

Paul2916 wrote:
      … (including summoning ‘Bypass’ as a preset if necessary)…

You can save a preset in Bypass mode, and it’ll recall bypassed.  Or you can use PC or MIDI CC messages to trigger Active, Bypass, or toggle between Active & Bypass.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.