Help with bypass when “kill dry” selected

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Help with bypass when “kill dry” selected

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      boyce89976
      Participant

I would love to run my H9, Timfactor and Space in the effects loop of my amp, but when I select "kill dry" the bypass changes to "mute" and mutes the signal after the muted effect, including the dry signal from in front of he amp. I understand why you would want it this way in a wet/dry rig running parallel effects paths, but it's not useful at all for a serial effects loop.  

I could run everything at 100% mix, but that doesn't work either, as I want to have different mix levels per patch/song.  

Any ideas how to make this work?  Am I missing something?

Eventide, please change bypass for kill dry to bypass, not mute!

boyce89976
      Participant

So I guess Eventide doesn't have a solution for using Kill Dry with effects wired in series?  

This is really frustrating.  Kill dry doesn't allow effects to tail off when selecting bypass/mute.  It mutes the signal past the muted effect, so you lose everything.  How about allowing the user to select how the dry signal is handled when in Kill Dry mode, optimally, allowing the dry signal to pass throught the muted effect?

MarcoR
      Participant

Kill dry is not intended for
      a serial loop or serial connections between processors.

While there are certainly situations
      where you would want to send a 100% wet signal to the next processor in series
      (i.e. Flex Whammy effect to a delay or verb), in most situations it would not
      be ideal. For example if you were sending a delay at 100% wet to a Reverb (both
      with kildry enabled) in a series loop, the output would just be echoes with delay.

In my rig, I go from my
      preamp to a pitchfactor set to relay bypass so when it’s bypassed, a pure
      analog signal is sent through. From there, I split the signal three times and
      send the first split to a Timefactor, the second split to a Space and the third
      to the “dry Input” of a RJM mini line mixer. The stereo outputs from the
      Timefactor and Space are sent to the mini line mixer so that they are in
      parallel but still get the wet signal from the Pitchfactor when it is enabled.

The Timefactor and Space are
      both set to killdry in this scenario and the bypass mode is DSP+FX so when they
      are bypassed, the effects spill over.

I would find it completely
      undesirable to run these in series effectively cascading the A/D D/A
      conversions. 
      That said, it can still be done (just not in killdry), you
      would you the mix control to set you effect levels and the output levels on a
      preset basis to get the desired overall level. Set the bypass to bypass mode is DSP+FX to get spillover.

Hope that helps.

boyce89976
      Participant

Hey man, this is very helpful, thank you.  One question, though.  You say your TF and Space are set to killdry but the bypass mode is DSP+FX?  I can set mine like that, but I lose spill… it mutes instantly… possibly due to my serial effects loop?  

MarcoR
      Participant

boyce89976:

Hey man, this is very helpful, thank you.  One question, though.  You say your TF and Space are set to killdry but the bypass mode is DSP+FX?  I can set mine like that, but I lose spill… it mutes instantly… possibly due to my serial effects loop?  

The difference is series vs parallel routing. In serial routing as you have, when you bypass
      anything in the chain, the following effects are no longer receiving a signal when using [DSP+FX].

I would think if you had
      a delay last in the chain and you bypassed that effect, the result would be,
      the echoes trail off but the rest off your signal would be muted.

From the Timefactor
      manual:

When [DSP+FX] is selected,
      Bypass combines the audio at the DSP’s inputs with the DSP’s

outputs AND
      stops feeding any new input signal to the DSP Effects inputs
      . This is a
      handy

way to Bypass an Effect
      without abruptly killing the tail of the Effect that you’ve been using.

Try using DSP or Relay; you won't get trails but it will output to the next effect in the chain.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.