Help with Stomp box Bypass / Kill dry / effect signal is gone

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Help with Stomp box Bypass / Kill dry / effect signal is gone

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      culloa777

Hello All; i need some guidance please! I have a Marshall JVM410 that I’m currently using for our shows, using the Effects “Send” to a Pitch Factor / Mod Factor / Time factor then back to the amp…. I started to notice a “phasing” or flanger type difference in the sound when i would turn on the FX Loop in the amp, even though all 3 of the boxes where in bypass mode; All of the levers in the back of the stomp boxes are set to “IN LIne” so i guess i’m running the effects in Parallel mode; I did some research and read about using the Killdry on the settings menu; all of the 3 stomp boxes had the Killdry set to OFF. So, like magic, i turned on the Killdry function and the phasing noise went away, but now, even when i activate the effects, the only one that works is the last one on the chain (Timefactor) the only way to very slightly hear the other effects is when any effect is on in TimeFactor, then i can hear (again very faintly) the MF and the PF. I’m sure i’m just not doing some setting correctly? any help with this is greatly appreciated!!! thanks all. 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

If you have a parallel effect loop, you are correct to use killdry – that is what it is for.

But, you cannot have multiple chained effects. To understand this, think about what is happening: the first unit in the chain gets a dry signal at its input, and then its output is just the wet signal. With just one unit, this would be mixed with the loop dry signal, and all would be as it should.

But, if you then put another unit in series, this only gets the wet signal (which could be a very low level, depending on the first mix level), so this will not do what you want. Etc, etc.

There is no real solution – a parallel effects loop really only works for one effect, unless you feed them all together, and have a mixer to mix all the wet signals – too difficult.

You could try setting killdry OFF on all but the last unit in the chain, and then setting killdry ON for the last one. There may still be too much dry, but with adjustment of mix levels you may get a reasonable sound.

culloa777

Nick, that makes sense… And I thought of that… I set the kill dry off on the PF, then the MF and only turned it on only on the TM (last one on the chain) and still the same deal… The PF and MF only work when I enable any preset on the TM…. Would the bypass setting have something to do with it? I have all units set at DSP/FX to attempt “spillover”.
      I really really appreciate your help!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

It might depend on your wiring. But, try setting the last unit to DSP Bypass.

But, you may have to keep the TF enabled, as it will otherwise shut off any dry signal. Try creating a "do-nothing" very mild preset and use this if you don't want TF.

culloa777

Nick, thanks again for your help. I did a little more research and found that my Marshall JVM410H comes both with a parallel and serial effects loop. I also read that when you turn the mix knob to 100% the “parallel” loop basically becomes like a serial loop. So again I ran effects send to PF, MF and TF back to amp. I set all stomp boxes kill dry to the OFF position and the bypass function to DSP+FW for spill over. Everything works again like before. The Marshall comes with a built in FX on/off button that can be channel assigned. When I’m playing bypassing the FX loop, the amp sounds amazing… But when I engage the FX loop, even if no effects are on at all, I have a volume /presence/brightness drop.
      Not sure why routing the signal through the stomp boxes is causing this… Could it be the bypass selected?

culloa777

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have all rear switches on all boxes set to “in line” since they are going through the effects loop. The Marshall also has a +4db / -10db button on the FX loop, it recommends +4db on rack effects and -10db for stomp boxes…. Could my signal drop be due to this? If I set the rear button of the stomp boxes to “in line” are they now like a rack effect unit?

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      culloa777 wrote:
      Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have all rear switches on all boxes set to "in line" since they are going through the effects loop. The Marshall also has a +4db / -10db button on the FX loop, it recommends +4db on rack effects and -10db for stomp boxes…. Could my signal drop be due to this? If I set the rear button of the stomp boxes to "in line" are they now like a rack effect unit?

If you use the parallel loop, it wouldn't make sense to me if the volume drops.

Yeah you could try that.

culloa777
      bohan wrote:

culloa777 wrote:
      Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have all rear switches on all boxes set to “in line” since they are going through the effects loop. The Marshall also has a +4db / -10db button on the FX loop, it recommends +4db on rack effects and -10db for stomp boxes…. Could my signal drop be due to this? If I set the rear button of the stomp boxes to “in line” are they now like a rack effect unit?

If you use the parallel loop, it wouldn’t make sense to me if the volume drops.

Yeah you could try that.

So is putting the stomp boxes in “LINE” switch, will that basically make them like a rack effect? To clarify, I have all 3 of my stomp boxes set to In LVL to “LINE” and the Out LVL to “LINE”, and i have the Marshall parallel mix button set to -10db….because if using the stomp boxes in “LINE” mode makes them behave like a rack effect, I’m assuming i would need to set the Marshall parallel mix button to +4db ? 

thanks again for all the help. 

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      culloa777 wrote:

So is putting the stomp boxes in "LINE" switch, will that basically make them like a rack effect? To clarify, I have all 3 of my stomp boxes set to In LVL to "LINE" and the Out LVL to "LINE", and i have the Marshall parallel mix button set to -10db….because if using the stomp boxes in "LINE" mode makes them behave like a rack effect, I'm assuming i would need to set the Marshall parallel mix button to +4db ? 

Yes. You should try that.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.