Help with turning delay on or off within Women In Love preset

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Help with turning delay on or off within Women In Love preset

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      garbeaj
      Participant

Hello all! I’m a super novice H9 Core user and I’m an old guy (44) trying to navigate this incredibly complex pedal.

I’m attempting to figure out of there is a way to assign a button on the H9 stompbox to turn off the delay function in the H910/H949’s #3 preset Women In Love for Van Halen’s “Women In Love” song. The delay is only present in the harmonic tapping segment of the intro and then the delay is turned off and the rest of the intro is just straight picked arpeggios with no eighth note delay following each note.

How can I turn the eighth note delay on and off while still keeping all the parameters of the preset the same? I want to be able to turn off the delay for the straight picked arpeggios section of the intro and still have the lovely chorusing effect. There must be a way to do this, otherwise the preset is effectively useless at replicating the sound of the intro that the preset was created for! Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I’d like to try to do this in other presets eventually…THANKS IN ADVANCE!

gkellum
      Participant
      garbeaj wrote:

I'm attempting to figure out of there is a way to assign a button on the H9 stompbox to turn off the delay function in the H910/H949's #3 preset Women In Love for Van Halen's "Women In Love" song. The delay is only present in the harmonic tapping segment of the intro and then the delay is turned off and the rest of the intro is just straight picked arpeggios with no eighth note delay following each note.

Well, if you really want to do it with an H9 footswitch, you could create two different presets — one with delay and one without delay — and change from one preset to another, but there is a bit of a lag when changing presets.  And this might not work for you if this is supposed to happen in the middle of one part.

Another way to go about it would be to use an expression pedal.  You could assign the bit with delay to the heel expression pedal position and the part without delay to the toe expression pedal position (or vice versa).  If you're interested in going that route, there are tutorial videos on youtube about creating H9 expression pedal patches, and this is also covered in the H9 Control manual on pg 14 (https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.eventide.downloads/Product+Manuals/H9ControlManual.pdf).

garbeaj
      Participant

Thanks very much indeed! I figured this might be the case…I don’t have an expression pedal, but in the meantime before I get one I suppose I could follow the instructions to setup the wheel to work like an expression pedal if I can figure out how to select the right knob that the wheel will control. I can probably reach over and quickly dial the wheel down, but I can see that the expression pedal is the way to go…

It is quickly becoming evident that at least two H9’s and maybe an expression pedal for each are critical to even begin to really make practical use of the H9.

I hope to get a Max to go along with my Core and get a Mission expression pedal. I’m a rank amateur at digital effects…I’ve used no effects for almost 35 years even though I’ve collected and played with vintage effects for decades. I’ve never been able to practically use them in a live setting so I just go straight from guitar to amp. I’m lost with analog effects and I’m even more lost with algorithms and controllers and all that!

Thanks again for your help!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.