Hotswitch Wish List

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Hotswitch Wish List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      KCStratman
      Participant

The Hotswitch function, potentially one of the most powerful performance features of the H9, seems to leave many users including myself perplexed and frustrated.

Could Eventide staff please provide:

1. Clear, detailed instructions on how to correctly save new settings to knobs mapped to Hotswitch function in existing Presets.

2. How to create new mappings of parameter knobs to Hotswitch function in any Preset.

If this feature of mapping/unmapping parameter knobs to Hotswitch does not already exist (difficult to imagine) it should be by double clicking on parameter knobs just like MAP/UNMAP TO EXP PEDAL, MAP TO X Y Z SWITCH, etc. Thank you!

gkellum
      Participant

I just talked to a few of my colleagues about your query.  We're going to put together a video tutorial for creating and modifying HotSwitch mappings next week.  I considered just quickly putting together a screencast for you showing this, but it wasn't necessarily clear when I was clicking on a control.  

KCStratman
      Participant

Super, thanks so much! The Hotswitch is such a great feature, it would be great to be able to use it to its full potential.

KCStratman
      Participant

A video tutorial would be outstanding. Windows PC version please, no use for mac or iphone formats. Perhaps it is something lost in translation from an apple based system to windows? To be clear, shouldn’t it be possible to set up Hotswitch mappings in a Preset in Demo Mode and then load to H9 units later, or will Hotswitch mappings only lock in if an H9 is connected and the Preset loaded in the unit while being mapped from H9 Control? Thanks!

Flabzilla

Sounds good!

KCStratman
      Participant

Here is a video with an example of trying to save new hotswitch settings. Maybe I am missing something basic to correctly save changes?

https://youtu.be/7nOFS_27prU

gkellum
        Participant
        KCStratMan wrote:

Maybe I am missing something basic to correctly save changes?

Ah!  Thank you for posting that video.  So, there is one key piece of information that you are missing.  If you long press the HotSwitch button, then it will starts flashing to indicate that it has entered programming mode.  So, to take the preset you were working on in your video as an example, you would long press the HotSwitch until it starts flashing.  Then, you would change the HotSwitch mapping of Delay A parameter to 788 msec thereby overwriting the existing HotSwitch mapping with your new mapping.  Then, you would press the HotSwitch again to make it stop flashing and to exit programming mode.  And then, you should be able to go ahead and save your changes to the preset and have your new HotSwitch mapping take effect.

KCStratman
      Participant

So, how does this apply to programming Hotswitch mappings from within H9 Control? How does one “long-press” the Hotswitch within H9 Control? This begs my question, does an H9 unit need to be connected via Bluetooth or USB and have the Hotswitch engaged on the unit or can the Hotswitch mappings be programmed to a Preset in H9 Control regardless of an h9 unit being connected and then loaded from H9 Control? Why wouldn’t H9 Control lock in and store any Hotswitch mapping changes to any Preset and then load them to any H9 as part of a Preset List? Perhaps most importantly, how to create new Hotswitch mappings to parameter knobs previously unmapped in existing presets? Shouldn’t it be as simple as double clicking on a parameter knob and selecting MAP TO HOTSWITCH, just exactly the same as MAP/UNMAP TO EXP PEDAL or MAP TO X Y Z SWITCH? The function to assign new Hotswitch mappings seems to be completely missing.

gkellum
        Participant

I made a quick screen cast where I opened up a Room preset that has the Decay knob mapped to the HotSwitch.  Originally, the HotSwitch toggles between 0.59S and 1.83S.  In the screen cast I change it to toggle between 0.59S and 0.0S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GruBDOll9z4&feature=youtu.be

You'll see that long pressing the HotSwitch literally just means keeping your mouse pressed on the HotSwitch for a second or so.  That's a familiar gesture in the iOS world.  I suppose on the desktop it should also be possible to right click on the HotSwitch to do this, as that's a more familiar interaction in the desktop world.

You don't need to have an H9 connected to create or change a new HotSwitch mapping, and changes to the mappings always get saved with the preset.  

KCStratman
      Participant

Thank you so much, the problem is finally clear. I have not a clue what any ioapple gestures are. The long-press and flashing hotswitch note in the H9 Control Manual is so cryptic and incomplete that it is essentially meaningless without calling out “This is meaningless to Windows PC users who will need to keep hunting for what works”! The only thing that matters to me and the vast majority of people is what works in a Windows PC environment. It took several tries, but if you place your mouse cursor over the Hotswitch button in H9 for an undeterminate amount of time, sometimes it will get the Hotswitch button to start flashing – I have never been able to get that to occur before – and make it possible to change and save Hotswitch settings.

So, better, much more clear documentation of this function for Windows PC users would have solved this problem for me and numerous users many months ago. I can only assume that many users had simply given up on the Hotswitch feature as I had. (I have had numerous users ask me for help getting this feature to work who could not get it from the documentation.)

The most important functional question remains: how to create new Hotswitch mappings to previously unassigned parameter knobs? Surely the only logical way would be by right clicking on a parameter knob and clicking on MAP TO HOTSWITCH just exactly the same as MAP/UNMAP TO EXP PEDAL, MAP TO X Y Z SWITCH, etc.?

gkellum
        Participant
        KCStratMan wrote:

The most important functional question remains: how to create new Hotswitch mappings to previously unassigned parameter knobs? Surely the only logical way would be by right clicking on a parameter knob and clicking on MAP TO HOTSWITCH just exactly the same as MAP/UNMAP TO EXP PEDAL, MAP TO X Y Z SWITCH, etc.?

You create new Hotswitch mappings by dragging any of the knobs while the Hotswitch is in programming mode, i.e. the Hotswitch is flashing.  The position you drag them to while the Hotswitch is flashing is the position that they will go to when the Hotswitch is enabled.

I don't think right clicking on the parameter knob to add it to the Hotswitch mapping would work.  H9 Control needs to know the regular position of the knob and the position that it should have when the Hotswitch is enabled. If you right click on a knob to add it to the mapping, how would H9 Control know what the regular position of the knob should be and what the position of the knob should be when the Hotswitch is enabled?  When you are clicking on the knob to add it, it only has one value, but you need two…

That's why H9 Control enters a special mode when programming the Hotswitch.  Before you enter programming mode, you are modifying the regular knob values.  When you enter programming mode, you are modifying the values that the knobs will have when the Hotswitch is enabled.

KCStratman
      Participant

After reviewing all the information posted here and elsewhere the problem seems to lie in what I said previously “Windows PC version please, no use for iphone or mac formats. Perhaps it is something lost in translation from an apple based system to windows?” This seems to be precisely the problem is that the Hotswitch mapping function and its documentation were based solely on ioapple protocols and failed to consider the fact that the vast majority of computer owners and users are Windows PC based. “Long-press” means nothing to Windows PC users. Right clicking on the Hotswitch or parameter knobs does nothing, although it should as a proper function within a Windows app. For instance, it only makes sense that right clicking on a parameter knob would bring down the context sub-menu for MAP TO EXP PEDAL, but it does nothing instead requiring a double click (which is not standard Windows protocal to get a sub-menu, right-clicking is). So, it appears that this is actually an issue of poor Windows operating system support and documentation that has been mistaken for a control app issue for months, actually a couple of years, by numerous users. Neglect Windows and favor ioapple at your peril.

KCStratman
      Participant

That makes good sense as to why to emply double-clicking vs. right-clicking, etc. I think it all comes down to clarity of documentation for Windows users. Thank you very much for taking the time to clarify this issue!

KCStratman
      Participant

GK thanks again for getting this cleared up for Windows users. Sorry I lost my internet connection to the wind storm, I wanted to thank you for responding right away. but no cable out here in the country and my dish took flight. Here is a quick video of setting up Hotswitch finctions in Windows 8.1, I hope this will help other Windows users. I have already shared the secret of the Hotswitch programming with several other users who coudn’t figure it out either and were very appreciative, as am I. The barking dog is a free bonus.

Eventide H9 Control 2.6.0 Hotswitch Programming in WIndows 8.1

https://youtu.be/LZuSuFXlpt4

gkellum
        Participant
        KCStratMan wrote:

GK thanks again for getting this cleared up for Windows users. Sorry I lost my internet connection to the wind storm, I wanted to thank you for responding right away. but no cable out here in the country and my dish took flight. Here is a quick video of setting up Hotswitch finctions in Windows 8.1.

Awesome. Thanks for posting that.  I am sure that other people will find it helpful.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.