How many H9s on a Mac via Bluetooth?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes How many H9s on a Mac via Bluetooth?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      jm345
      Participant

The H9 Control manual says you can connect 3 H9s to via Bluetooth to an IOS device. Is it the same for Macs with Catalina via
      Bluetooth? Thanks

thefollower
      Participant

Good luck with that.  I can connect my IPad to both H9s but my iMac and MacBook will not connect. If I do get one H9 to connect it drops the connection within a few minutes.  Have never been able to solve this one.

jm345
      Participant

Yes, I can never get two H9s to work with H9 Control. I sometimes can get one attached to H9 Control on my 2019 MacBook Pro via a Roland USB midi adapter. And sometimes one on Bluetooth but never both at the same time. With Bluetooth I always have to go to H9 Control and connect manually. It is weird that there is so little support for using H9 Control with such a sophisticated pedal. I have 3 of the big Strymon pedals all connected at the same time to their Nixie software via the Roland USB midi adapter and it works great.

thefollower
      Participant

If I cable them up I can control both H9s; however, it cuts off MIDI to the five-pin DIN connector.  Thus I cannot use my Morningstar MC-8 while they are connected on the USB plug.  So, I manage my MC-8 via USB cable from the iMac and bluetooth to the H9s from my iPad.  Works but not optimal.

Keoki
      Participant

Interesting thread. I’m able to easily connect all three of my H9’s to H9 Control via Bluetooth on my MacMini, my MacBook Pro, and iPad Pro. I can connect all three via USB B cable on my MacMini and MacBook Pro using an Anker 4 port USB A Hub plugged into the USB A port those Macs. I do have to be sure that the H9’s are not connected to Bluetooth on my MacMini (“they” try to do that with fierce intensity) and when any one of them achieves that lofty peak of communication, problems start. I will say that with all three plugged into the port has been dicey. There are times when it seems rock solid and I can operate like Dr Frankenstein on the monsters, and then there are times when I’ll lose one and end up having to plug it in to another USB port away from the Hub to re-establish communication. Now THAT has been a bitch at times.

Interestingly enough when I have connected all three to Bluetooth w/cables plugged in (frowned upon by Eventide) they have seemed relatively stable. I  will generally, for the sake of NOT having to deal with a messed up box if one does drop communication, unplug the USB B cable.

So to really confuse the issue/question as posed by the OP there seems to be a mix and match for me but to really go rock solid I remove cables if I’m chatting  via BT and if I’m tethered, Bluetooth is either off and/or they are disconnected.

I’ve yet to try actually try turning off Bluetooth at the pedal itself when attached to cable…an experiment I’ll try at some point but as a newb to the whole H9 preset game and to MIDI control of the board I’m building (RJM PBC/6X & Mini Effect Gizmo X) I’ll just go with my most solid connection (cable in/BT off) while programming.

jm345
      Participant

Keoki – your experience is interesting. I gave up connecting one H9 to H9 Control via USB on my Mac because it created too much noise to record anything. So I went with bluetooth, which is a pain to connect but works ok most of the time. The only way I can connect bluetooth is to start H9 Control and manually go through several pages to where I can finally connect one of the units to bluetooth. Even after connecting it will say it is not connected and have to cancel out and then it will work. But I don’t see any options to add a second H9 via bluetooth to H9 Control.

Keoki
        Participant

Jm,

The lack of consistency here makes me wonder well,…wtf?, lol. My iPad is a Pro and the Mac i have them connected to is a newer MacMini both running current iOS and OSx. I have had issues with the inexpensive 4 Port Hub which resolved as soon as I connected to other USB ports either on the MacMini or my keyboard.  I suspect signal interference within the passive hub. I have powered USB version coming today from Monoprice which may help to keep signals properly directed. I will say that my USB A to USB B cords aren’t the snuggest fit in the H9’s. More than once I’ve lost connection(s) and found that the USB connector was either loose of not completely inserted. New USB B cables coming today as well!

I guess the end age here is find the way which works best and is most reliable…Maybe H9’s like to hang out in groups of three!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.