How to reset HotSwitch actions on H9?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes How to reset HotSwitch actions on H9?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      JCR
      Participant

On the Space and H9 algo’s one can program the HotSwitch knob to select a second set of settings for the selected preset. This works great, but resetting the programmed actions is a real pain. The HotKnob/Expression actions are easy to undo by dubble clicking an affected button and select “Undo from expression pedal”. So those actions are realy easy to undo, but for undoing HotSwitch actions there is no such action. Trying to set the affected parameters to the non HotSwitch settings does not work. If you leave the HotSwitch learn function the parameters does not have the values you just set, they have random values!

So how to reset the HotSwitch settings? It is not mentioned at all in the manual. It would be realy great if one can undo these settings the way expression settings are cleared, with a dubble click on the button in H9 Control. Can it be done from the H9 itself?

brock
      Participant

HotSwitch resets can get flaky sometimes.  When in Learn mode, I always swing far above & below the targeted value before dialing in the reset value.  It seems to improve the success rate for wiping out the stored value.  In other words:

• HotSwitch ON:  See which of the ten parameters have already been programmed (if any).  For example, MOD-LEVEL in the Hall algorithm is programmed to 50.
      • HotSwitch OFF:  Make note of the unswitched value of the same parameter.  MOD-LEVEL = 25.
      • HotSwitch Learn:  Turn the MOD-LEVEL parameter to the extremes (100 … 0) before landing on the unswitched value (25).  Press the CTRL key (or Mac equivalent) with the mouse action to help zoom in on exact values. 

At that point, HotSwitch OFF & ON should be reset to the same parameter values (no HotSwitch programming).  Occasionally, I’ll still see some kind of random HotSwitch action introduced, on a previously unaffected & untouched parameter.  Those are hard to shake, but persistence pays here.

I’ve gotten into the habit of “auto-saving” presets as I program them.  Then begin any expression pedal or HotSwitch programming as a final tweak.  It’s easier to revert back to a previous version if any HotSwitch programming starts getting stubborn.

JCR
      Participant

Thank you Brock for the comment. In the end I managed to undo the programmed HotSwitch actions, altough it took 9 or 10 times reprogramming the HotSwitch to undo two knob actions! What makes it realy hard to undo the programming is the delayed responce once the learning mode is ended on H9 Control. If I try the new HotSwitch setting the values of the reprogrammed knobs are all over the place, going up and down as if someone is turning the knobs. This goes on for several seconds and after setling the end value is not the one you just set.

I have found no way yet to undo the HotSwitch settings on the H9 itself as one can do with the HotKnob settings. It looks it is not possible.

Eventide: please fix this erratic behaviour and make it possible to easily reset HotSwitch settings on the H9 itself and H9 Control. Please add an double click action on H9 Control to “Undo from HotSwitch”.

JCR
      Participant

Hello Nickrose,

I am getting 3 mails so far with your reply, but they do not show up in this thread. I am not mistaken, I am talking about the HotSwitch, not the HotKnob! The HotSwitch is only briefly mentioned once in the manual, no mentioning of how to set and/or undo. The algorithm guide tells you how to set the HotSwitch, not how to undo its action.

Once the HotSwitch is set it has a life of its own if you try to undo its settings. This is why an action in the H9 and H9 Control would be very handy to get rid of this strange behaviour.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Apologies. I am also confused by the differences between HotKnob and HotSwitch and HotHot etc. It's all Hot.

So, I mistakenly replied to you, and at the point of posting realized my mistake. For unknown reasons, our new and barely understood Web Site sent it on to you.

Apologies again.

KCStratman
      Participant

The Hotswitch progamming function is extremely erratic and inconsistant, period. If it takes a master effects programmer such as Brock numerous attempts to get even partial results, something is seriously wrong with the whole execution of the hotswitch function.

Nick Rose has now posted more than once here that the Eventide staff themselves do not agree on or fully understand the hotswitch funtions, how to precisely program the hotswitch functions, or even how to completely and properly explain how to program the hotswitch functions without errors and inconsistancies.

I personally have twenty years of experience programming and using top of the line rack effects units as well as stompboxes and I simply gave up after a dozen attempts to get the hotswitch programming to cooperate. It is a shame that a potentially extremely useful fundamental feature of the H9 is virtually useless.

Again this points out the fact that there never seems to be a leader, a manager, a supervisor, a chief responsible for overseeing the development, production, support, and most importantly clear, non-defensive, non-sarcastic communication with the customer base regarding all aspects of owning and using the H9. What a shame it is that the whole management scheme – or lack of it – at Eventide consistantly serves to cripple what could be a truly great, instead of partially-executed almost-great, product. Having a talented team of designers and technicians is pointless unless there is a single sharp, highly skilled leader coordinating all efforts and ensuring continuity and completion of concept, execution, and customer support.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I am sorry. I believe that you misunderstand me. My post expressed a personal view that we have too many Hot functions, as demonstrated by the fact that I was foolish enought to confuse them.

That aside, it is certainly possible that there are flaws in the HotSwitch operation. But, since this first mention of the problem on the forum  was many years after the product was launched, my guess is that this is not troubling many people.

It would be helpful if you could give us a clear statement of the problems – this is the only way we can fix them, since we believe it works as specified. You are certainly not obliged to do this – if you paid for the product you can reasonably hope for its flaws to be fixed.

Mr Brock's thoughtful comments are helpful and will assist our developers to improve the product.

gkellum
      Participant

It would be realy great if one can undo these settings the way expression settings are cleared, with a dubble click on the button in H9 Control. 

This would be easy enough to add. The next release is already pending review with Apple. So, it probably won’t make it in until the following release.

JCR
      Participant

This would be easy enough to add. The next release is already pending review with Apple. So, it probably won’t make it in until the following release.

Great news! That should make clearing or changing values a lot easier.

KCStratman
      Participant

My experience with the Hotswitch feature of the H9 is very similar to that described by JCR and Brock: numerous attempts to clear the factory settings and enter new custom settings do not hold after trying to save according to the factory instructions. On several occaisions, only approximately once out of twenty attempts was I able to get new settings to save. This is with H9 connected to pc via USB cable. It was so time consuming with usually no results or inconsistent results that I simply gave up, and I do not give up easily on programming high end effects. Perhaps the staff could post a detailed procedure here confirming how to clear factory hotswitch settings and how to get new hotswitch parameter settings to save correctly. In fact a tutorial video demonstrating how to clear factory hotswitch settings and save new custom settings would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

P.28 of the Space UM has a paragraph starting "To clear HotSwitch programming…" 

Are people saying that this does not work, or are they looking for something different ?

Possibly you are asking for a way to reset individual values – this does not appear to be offered – the HotSwitch is more of a snapshot of the whole pedal.

JCR
      Participant

P.28 of the Space UM has a paragraph starting “To clear HotSwitch programming…”

Maybe this works for the Space, but I do not have the Space. I do have two H9’s and they are lacking the extended display and middle button from the Space which are needed for clearing the HotSwitch function on the Space. If a newly implemented H9 HotSwitch clearing function does clears all the knobs at once (in case it is indeed a snapshot function) or just clears individual knobs is not important as long as there is a fast and reliable way of clearing old values and setting new if needed, without the need to do it over and over again to get settings you can live with.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

As you point out, I was thinking Space. Since the H9 does not have enough buttons to add extra features, we need to find a way to do it with H9Control or an Aux switch. I'll look into it.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.