How to select algo preset from pedal?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes How to select algo preset from pedal?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      jas
      Participant

I had expected to be able to select an algorithm and then the presets within the alogorithm all from the pedal. Is this possible? I just seem to be stuck with the one list of H910H949-type presets. I have recently bought the Spacetime algorithm and simply want to scroll through its presets on the H9 unit itself, like you can with the H9 Control program. But how!?

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

It is not possible to access all the available presets from an algorithm directly from the pedal. You must pair your device to a mobile or desktop device in order to take advantage of the artist and factory presets for every algorithm. Then you may populate them to your liking in the 99 customizable preset slots on the pedal.

It sounds like you have Core unit, which starts out with only the H910/H949 algorithm. Others have H9 or H9 Max, which can access over 500 presets. Because the pedal only has 99 preset slots, this is the reason why you can’t access all the factory and artist presets from the pedal directly.

You can, however, access the algorithms individually by pressing the “Presets” button twice and turning the knob. You’ll surf through the available algorithms you have on the pedal, and you’ll be able to edit them to your liking. You can store your favorite settings from there.

jas
      Participant

Thank you for your prompt reply. I can see how to use the H9 knob to scroll through algorithms, but, for what purpose? I only seem to be able to do two things: scroll through presets (and in that way choose a preset to use) or scroll through algorithms – which seems to have no purpose. I had imagined that I could scroll to a certain algorithm, then view the list of presets and choose one. But, viewing the algorithms on the pedal seems pointless, but surely can’t be?

That said, all of the presets are from the 910949 algorithm, so maybe that is why that is the one and only present family I see. Perhaps what you have is a “view presets as long list” or “view by algorithm”? That’s only a guess. The manual seems to be very lacking in this area.

I understand that the storage in my (Core) model is limited, but 99 is enough for now. Supposing I want to use presets Spacetime-F1 and Spacetime-F2 in a live environment and want to set up the pedal to have these two preset, withough depending on the H9 Control app. How would I do this? 

Fender17
      Participant

Would be cool, if one may first choose algorithm and than be somehow able to scroll throught those presets that are loaded into a pedal.

I know, it is possible to do smething similar using computer/tablet/smartphone… But still, it would be comfortable to do it, without it. Would be handy for learning H9 Max and its 50 (or so) algorithms jus by playing with the pedal.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

I don’t disagree that it’s a great idea. It’s just that the 99 preset limit would make what you’re asking for impossible. What we have done is curated the H9 Max preset list to give users a great idea of what is possible with all the algorithms. In fact, with every algorithm release we’ve had, we’ve edited the onboard list to reflect the new possibilities; you can even download the older lists from the H9 site.

Fender17
      Participant

I know that it is somewhat limited. Maybe 2 presets per algorithm, if factory H9 Max preset list used. Or, so…

The thing is, that if I browse the preset list from H9, I know the name of preset, but not what algorithm it is. Also, if I know I want e.g. Blackhole’s presets, I would dial Blackhole and H9 would allow me to go throu Blackhole presets. And there could be also be Time/Delay/Mod groups which would show presets for this group.

I guess, it could be implemented, if there is some room left for code…..

I have many computers, but I prefer using H9 without it.

I am not complaining. Just thing that there is a room for a small enhancement for part of users. Maybe too small group, I do not know.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

These are great suggestions.

By the way, if you are on a preset and you want to know which algorithm it's using, just press the "Presets" button once. The display will show you the name of the algorithm. Press "Presets" again to return to the preset name.

Fender17
      Participant

Great to know. Thanks. I am one of those who read manual as the last resort. 🙁 

If you would do that after selecting algorithm (and I would add TIME/MOD/DELAY generic groups to the list of agorithms) one may select preset (or default values) from those loaded to pedal.

Or something like that. One would have to try out, what works well.

If I understand it well, there is not much to improve sonicaly, no room for new algos, so maybe slight polishing of user interface might make few users happy.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff
      jas wrote:
      I can see how to use the H9 knob to scroll through algorithms, but, for what purpose?

Once you access an algorithm, you are allowed to tweak the parameters using x,y,z and the knob. You may not be able to access an algorithm’s factory preset list, but at least you can still work with it directly off the front panel.

jas wrote:
      … all of the presets are from the 910949 algorithm, so maybe that is why that is the one and only present family I see.

At this point, you need to use H9 Control to start populating other memory slots within your pedal with presets from the new algorithms you buy. They won’t automatically appear on the pedal. The system wouldn’t know where to put them or which ones to overwrite, if you were using a different H9; so, it’s best to leave it up to the user.

jas wrote:
      I understand that the storage in my (Core) model is limited, but 99 is enough for now. Supposing I want to use presets Spacetime-F1 and Spacetime-F2 in a live environment and want to set up the pedal to have these two preset, withough depending on the H9 Control app. How would I do this?

This is easily accomplished using H9 Control, and there are various methods.
      1-Choose a preset you like on H9 Control, and when it appears on the pedal, you can store the preset to an onboard preset location using the front panel of the pedal.
      2-Upload the pedal’s preset list to H9 Control, and then edit that preset list with the effects you want to add. Then, download the list back to the pedal again.
      3-When you’re working with a preset in H9 Control, you can use the “SAVE” tab to store the preset directly to a preset slot on the pedal or the memory of the device running H9 Control.

I think you would benefit greatly from watching these H9 tutorials: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhT2MsSeKiDw6X56B_cfGPhD4GeBd3MA4

Videos 24-27 cover preset management very well.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.