How to tap tempo from an external midi controller to 2x H9’s ?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes How to tap tempo from an external midi controller to 2x H9’s ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      dedeman

I am using Rocktron Midimate as midi controller in my setup and it works fine so far, with any necessities that i had. However, since I got 2 H9’s, I would like to tap tempo on both, using a CC on/off button on the midi controller.

I assigned the same CC number on my both H9’s to tap tempo in Midi Settings, and I am using a button on the Midimate to transmit that CC number. I control both H9’s on the same midi channel.

However, the results are not ok, because the tempo is not what I am taping. I suspect is related to the Midimate, since it transmits the CC number with value for On and a value for Off, conecutively. I cannot set it to send just On or Off values. And it seems that tap tempo on H9 respond only to an On value (something between 0 and 63). Basically, the result is twice as slow than what I’m expecting 🙂 but is not really usable in live performance…

I wonder if there is a way to overcome this in the H9’s?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Not quite sure why you are having a problem. For MIDI TAP control, the H9 will accept a value between 64 and 127 as ON, and will ignore any value between 0 and 63. So, if your pedalboard is programmed to send 64 or above for ON (switch down), and 63 or below for OFF (switch up) it should work fine.

Maybe your pedalboard is viewing the switches as ON/OFF rather than momentary – this might be why the tempo is half what you expect. Many pedalboards will allow you to select momentary operation, but after looking throught the MidiMate's manual I am none the wiser – you should contact their support department for help.

The H9 expects momentary switches for all operations.

dedeman

No, I cannot make any settings in Midimate for the way the on/off button works. It just sends on then off messages consecutively (with the corresponding values)… I would say is useless to contact them; it would imply to modify the firmware somehow, which cannot be updated in any way on my board (maybe re-program their MCU, but that’s a very long shot).

Ignoring the off message does not get rid of me pushing the button, which is in between of usable messages. Is not practical. If I want to have a higher bpm then I would have to tap like crazy :))) NO, not practical when alternated messages are sent consecutively from a controller.

I was hoping for the EVENTIDE fast feedback resonse on this matter, but of course, that would imply a software update from you as well… I suppose the way to go would be another external momentary switch connected to one H9 and then use midi clock function to sunc the other, right? But then… it’s another switch, which I was hoping to avoid using.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sounds like you need a better controller ..

One option would be to use a single physical switch to drive both of the H9's in parallel, as long as you avoid ground loops.

dedeman

I dare to suggest though… You say the H9 would ignore OFF CC’s value 0-63. But what if it would take it in consideration as well, to make it compatible with taping on on/off functioning controllers? What would happen if you would open H9 to this kind of behavior? If some other programable controllers can set their own buttons to momentary, fine. But if others transmit consecutively 0-63 / 64-127 values, why not respond to this for TAP TEMPO setting ONLY? Would it interfere with something else?

Anyway, is just a suggestion, as it would easely help others not change an expensive piece of gear just for this one function; or add a dedicated physical momentary switch in their setup, when this can be achieved with midi.

I hope this gets some attention at EVENTIDE though… 🙂 I can anyway see that you are very supportive and responsive and willing to make H9 a real GEM. Not that it isn’t already. I really enjoy it’s sounds very much, same as thousands other users.

dedeman

Just discovered that activating Tuner through midi CC follows the same behaviour… I have to tap 4 times to activate and then deactivate it (instead of more usable and intuitive 2 times).

Maybe you could consider making H9 to respond to 0-63 values as well… i don’t think it would interfere with controlers that send only 64-127 values for CC numbers for momentary actions. Please consider suporting this function for other parameters as well in your next firmware update, if possible 🙂 Thank you in advance.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

This is a tough one. Basically, you are using a pedalboard that is designed to turn things ON or OFF when you hit a switch. This is really not compatible with a Tap Tempo control – you are using the wrong pedalboard for the application – my guess is that you would have the same problem with many other pedals, not just ours.

That said, we can consider an option to allow both an ON and an OFF to be treated as an ON. This would solve your problem. The counter argument is that it is (a) more work for our overworked software team, and (b) every option makes the pedal harder to use and require more support. Hence, consider, not promise.

dedeman

I understand. And I appreciate it.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.