I was just about to buy a H9 Max, but..

Home Forums Products Stompboxes I was just about to buy a H9 Max, but..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      oggietel

Hi

I live in the UK and was just about to buy a H9 MAX, but the price has gone up from GBP579 to GBP699 ($898) – a difference of GBP120, or $ 154, overnight. This has just killed my purchase decision. For me, it’s too much.

I already own a TimeFactor, a Space, and a H8000FW, so it’s not a question of loving Eventide quality, but of reasonable function vs price.

I work on Post Production audio but have a hobby as a guitarist and I’m just starting a jazz trio. I was going to use the H9 max on my guitar for a bit of reverb and maybe use the Space on my voice for vocals (it’s a little big for my humble pedalboard). Working in post I have a less is more philosophy so tend to turn reverbs up until you can just hear them and then take them down by one notch, etc. So my guitar/voice has only minimal effects, but simple quality tone.

I’m not going to pay the extra $154 dollars for a H9 MAX now and may resort to using my rackmount TC reverb for my vocal (via my Eventide MixLink), or buy a BigSky (simply for a bit of functional variation), or just use my Boogie reverb on guitar. However, I do have one last question that I thought I might just as well ask. Is it possible to buy a H9 non-max and download the Space and TimeFactor elements that I already own in thier respective pedals, without having to pay for them twice?

Yes I could gig with my H8000FW supplementing my TimeFactor and Space, but for a hobbyist that’s just silly.

Kind regards

David

P.S. suggested Eventide development feature for the future:

Functionality that allows the mix knob on your guitar effects pedal to fine tune SMALLER levels of effect with greater accuracy (at lower mix levels). If I just toutch the mix knob on the Space or TimeFactor it gets way too big, way too quickly. If you use guitar effects for timbre and sweetening up your sound the mix knob is the MOST IMPORTANT knob on an effect (without resorting to a cumbersome parallel setup). YES guitar tone is 99% in the fingers, but the real wonder is in the 1% of magic ingredient everyone comes up to you to ask about – “Wow! Just what exactly is that little extra special sound I hear in your guitar chain?”  

gkellum
      Participant
      oggietel wrote:

I live in the UK and was just about to buy a H9 MAX, but the price has gone up from GBP579 to GBP699 ($898) – a difference of GBP120, or $ 154, overnight. This has just killed my purchase decision. For me, it's too much.

Sorry to hear that;  presumably it's b/c of currency fluctuations in the value of the British pound.  

oggietel wrote:

Is it possible to buy a H9 non-max and download the Space and TimeFactor elements that I already own in thier respective pedals, without having to pay for them twice?

Well, we give people 2 coupons for H9 algorithms purchases for every Factor pedal they own.  So, in your case you'd have 4 coupons plus the coupon that comes with an H9.

oggietel wrote:

suggested Eventide development feature for the future:

Functionality that allows the mix knob on your guitar effects pedal to fine tune SMALLER levels of effect with greater accuracy (at lower mix levels). If I just toutch the mix knob on the Space or TimeFactor it gets way too big, way too quickly. 

On the H9 we do have a fine tune mode that let's you dial in precise pitch values and what not.  Currently on the mix knob I think all it does is space the values further apart on the wheel, but I suppose it could be a nice feature if it let you dial in smaller steps on this control.  But I should note that maybe the reason it's hard to dial in the values on Space or TimeFactor is b/c that's using knobs which go from their min to max value in a single rotation of the knob.  The H9 uses a wheel instead, and that goes from the min to the max value in 4 – 5 rotations of the wheel (depending on the wheel's speed).

shok7

Thanks a lot for creating this post oggie, the same thing happened to me !

I was going to buy the H9 Max at Thomann at 643€ and it rocketed to 799€ between July 11 and July 12 ! It was in my basket and hopefully I didn’t checkout !

I looked for other sellers, and the same thing happened for the french distributor Woodbrass, who sold it at 662€ and is now also aligned at 799€ !

I asked Thomann and they clearly answered :

Dear CustomerThank you for your email. Please note that prices are set by the manufacturer, and are subject to change without prior notice. Such changes are, therefore, beyond our control. Unfortunately the margin on this item does not permit us to sell it to you at the previous price.”

So the truth is that the new price seems to be coming from Eventide, not from some currency fluctuations or anything ! You’re lying !

And, same as you, I will not buy the H9 Max at this price. It killed my purchase as well !

I hope some day we’ll see this stompbox at a more reasonnable price, I will buy it instantly !

AAgnello
      Eventide Staff

We have not changed the price that we sell to our distributors for any of our current products since the day they were first sold. We can’t account for the discreptancy you encountered and we are sorry you’ve experienced this.

oggietel
        AAgnello wrote:
        We have not changed the price that we sell to our distributors for any of our current products since the day they were first sold. We can’t account for the discreptancy you encountered and we are sorry you’ve experienced this.

Thanks very much for that information AAgnello. It’s very significant. Since the price of a H9 Max has gone up by 21% across the board in Germany, France, and the UK – and fluctuations in the British pound are “not directly” tied to the Euro – I must conclude that it’s Eventides distributors who are profiteering and starting to harm Eventide’s sales in Europe.

I for one will remain very loyal to promoting the awesomeness of the Eventide sound – especially for post production audio. However, I will be buying no more Eventide product for the forseeable future. I’ve invested too-heavily in Eventide already, and if your distributors are currently profiteering anything I buy now is going to take a very SIGNIFICANT hit in its resale value in the not-too-distant future. 

Keep up the EXCELLENTLY FANTASTIC work over there in the US. I will be back immediately when things level out again.

What was that old Chinese proverb, or was it a curse? “..May you live in interesting times..??”

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.