iLok goes cloud

Home Forums Products Plug-Ins iLok goes cloud

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #114424
      chakkman
      Participant

      Hey guys,

       

      PACE is obviously offering a dongle free, cloud based copy protection scheme soon. See here, for more details: https://paceap.com/pace-ilok-cloud.html

       

      Wondering if Eventide consider this protection scheme. I’d be really happy, because i’d prefer it vastly to using a dongle, or using the software iLok, because you won’t need an additional software to be installed either, because the authorization is being done in the plugin. 

    • #147473
      DGillespie
      Moderator
      Eventide Staff
      chakkman wrote:

      Hey guys,

       

      PACE is obviously offering a dongle free, cloud based copy protection scheme soon. See here, for more details: https://paceap.com/pace-ilok-cloud.html

       

      Wondering if Eventide consider this protection scheme. I'd be really happy, because i'd prefer it vastly to using a dongle, or using the software iLok, because you won't need an additional software to be installed either, because the authorization is being done in the plugin. 

      Hi Chakkman,

      Show More...

      We really haven't discussed supporting it or not, so thanks for the request.

      Dan

      Show Less...
    • #147969
      chakkman
      Participant

      Thanks Dan. Just a quick reminder (even though you probably know it already): The Cloud protection is available in the iLok client for a couple of versions now. Would love to use my Eventide plugins soon with it.

       

      And a merry christmas to the Eventide staff, and the users here. πŸ™‚

      • #148276
        radioman521
        Participant
        chakkman wrote:

        Thanks Dan. Just a quick reminder (even though you probably know it already): The Cloud protection is available in the iLok client for a couple of versions now. Would love to use my Eventide plugins soon with it.

         

        And a merry christmas to the Eventide staff, and the users here. πŸ™‚

        Before this recent change you could not use the iLok cloud for actual use – you still had to have the license asset on a physical iLok connected to the computer in use. All you could previously use the Cloud for was to transfer a license asset from your iLok to the Cloud and then when you got to say another studio you’d download that license asset onto a physical iLok. Also keep in mind that not all developers are going to support the new functionality for the iLok Cloud.

    • #150038
      chakkman
      Participant

      McDSP now offers the iLok Cloud option:

    • #150095
      felipeabel
      Participant

      It seems to be fantastic!

      I hope all companies that are using iLok, soon switch to the cloud version.

      Guys, would not it be a good idea to make an topic with subscriptions on Geartlutz and KVR?

      • #150097
        radioman521
        Participant
        felipeabel wrote:

        It seems to be fantastic!

        I hope all companies that are using iLok, soon switch to the cloud version.

        Guys, would not it be a good idea to make an topic with subscriptions on Geartlutz and KVR?

        No, it would NOT be a good idea. Too many people having problems with Cloud iLok. Have an iffy internet connection and whatever you’re doing stops dead in the water. Every program that uses iLok polls the dongle at regular intervals. Ask yourself – would you want to be in the middle of a recording session, especially one that can’t be repeated, and the recoding comes to a halt? Wouldn’t want to deal with that mess.

         

        I love iLok and wish more companies would use it. But not the cloud version.

    • #150098
      chakkman
      Participant

      Companies can add the iLok cloud option to the other authorization options. It’s entirely optional, not a either/or case.

      • #150099
        radioman521
        Participant
        chakkman wrote:

        Companies can add the iLok cloud option to the other authorization options. It’s entirely optional, not a either/or case.

        Sure it’s an option but still a disaster for the reason(s) I wrote about. Why offer users something that is that? If it were my company and people asked for Cloud iLok I’d tell them I’m not offering it as I want my customers to have a great experience. Besides there’s the whole security thing with any cloud s/w. Too liable to be intercepted and hacked. Yes – iLok has been hacked before.

    • #150104
      chakkman
      Participant

      Where did you read that people have issues, though? I don’t know many companies who offer iLok cloud. Actually, i know of only two, Avid and McDSP.

      • #150105
        radioman521
        Participant
        chakkman wrote:

        Where did you read that people have issues, though? I don’t know many companies who offer iLok cloud. Actually, i know of only two, Avid and McDSP.

        On the DUC. Iffy internet whether wired or wireless, can’t open sessions, etc. Keep in mind when you lose the internet the session grinds to a halt and PT will refuse to work. PT needs to see iLok at all times.

    • #154362
      chakkman
      Participant

      Are there any news on this front? Has iLok Cloud been considered for the Eventide Audio plugins? As I said, I’d really be interested in this, and interested in getting rid of that iLok dongle.

    • #154363
      chakkman
      Participant

      I just realized that I actually have 2 activations for the Eventide plugins, so, might opt for iLok machine activation instead of the dongle…

    • #154879
      anacleto75
      Participant

      We need Ilok cloud please use it!

    • #154885
      anacleto75
      Participant

      You could use the hardware key,but ilok cloud is a good option.

    • #154891
      chakkman
      Participant

      Yeah, not sure why the arguing when the Cloud options is purely optional. πŸ™‚

    • #156710
      pascalhaux
      Member

      Bitte fΓΌgen Sie die Cloud hinzu, es ist sehr praktisch.

      Danke

    • #154368
      tlongabaugh
      Moderator
      Eventide Staff

      Hey chakkman-

      To be honest, this has been very low priority for us to look into, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. Like you say, you can use machine activation for one or both of the 2 activations that comes with the license, so hopefully this does the trick for you for now. No need to be using a physical dongle.

      -Tom

    • #154880
      anacleto75
      Participant
      chakkman wrote:

      Are there any news on this front? Has iLok Cloud been considered for the Eventide Audio plugins? As I said, I’d really be interested in this, and interested in getting rid of that iLok dongle.

    • #154881
      radioman521
      Participant
      anacleto75 wrote:
      We need Ilok cloud please use it!

      iLok cloud is only good if you have a stable internet connection. Once you lose that connection you’re screwed.

    • #154893
      radioman521
      Participant
      chakkman wrote:

      Yeah, not sure why the arguing when the Cloud options is purely optional. πŸ™‚

      No one is arguing – just pointing out the faults in relying on iLok Cloud. In a professional setting I would never rely on it. I have too much pride in my work to trust it.

    • #156711
      pascalhaux
      Member
      radioman521 wrote:

      anacleto75 wrote:
      We need Ilok cloud please use it!

      iLok cloud is only good if you have a stable internet connection. Once you lose that connection you’re screwed.

      yes we need the cloud

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.