iLok2 dongle – seriously?

Home Forums Products Plug-Ins iLok2 dongle – seriously?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      erikbojerik

Anyone using any of the native plug-ins onstage for live performance is using a laptop, and is NOT going to want to give up a USB port just for a stupid dongle.

Even though I already have an Eclipse, I was seriously thinking about buying the H3000 plug-in or at least holding out for an Eclipse plug-in.  But I've already maxed out the two USB ports on my MacBook Pro and rather than carry around (and figure out how to mount) a USB hub, I'll just carry along my Eclipse and save the money.

License authorizations don't weigh anything and they don't use up a USB port!  

neilhester
      Participant

Eventide plugins have always used ilok and id certainly prefer a portable auth to carry around and use on any machine i like rather than have to deal with irritating challenge response type auths and be limited to 1 or 2 installations and not be portable.
      I have over 150 auths for various plugins on my ilok it would take me hours to administrate if i had to deal with manual auth'ing them all.
      Perhaps offering a choice would be a better solution.

rastoutou

The question is :

Should we be forced to change our I loks every say 2 or 3 years because a new dongle with a different shape has been issued ? Why should I have to change my I lok1 for an I lok 2 ?

Why won't the H3000 plug in accept all the I-Lok 1 dongles ? there are millions used all over the world !

Waste of money, for me !

Mike

DGillespie
      Eventide Staff

Hi erikbojerik,

We realize the ilok is not ideal for everyone and that all these systems have drawbacks.  After careful consideration of several different options we felt that ilok2 was the best choice for us.  We're open to reconsidering this in the future, but for the moment we're going to stick with the ilok.

Thank you, however, for you feedback.  And have you considered using a usb hub on stage?  I can testify that the ilok works well with it.

Thanks,

Dan

DGillespie
      Eventide Staff

Hi Mike,

We understand your frustration with iLok2, truth be told, we wish we didn't have to use iLok at all.  It certainly isn't our intent to ask you to change your current iLok or to buy anything new, but we did feel the need to require iLok2 because of the superior protection it offers.  Anticipating the burden on our customers we created the option to purchase a plug-in bundle with an iLok2 for an extra $12 (http://www.eventidestore.com/h3naplildo.html).  This way Eventide is essentially splitting the cost of the iLok2 with you.  I hope this makes the proposition a bit more palatable.

Thanks,

Dan

michaelrempel
      Participant

They switched to 2 after the 1 version got hacked.

jfreak
      Participant

…and I'm personally so glad they did! The version one dongle was horrible, and you always had to have spares available. The version two that got rid of the SIM card reader is so much sturdier!

I only wish they would create a version three key that is even smaller and made of metal (and have a reinforced connector that would be virtually impossible to break — heck, I would rather break a USB port on my system compared to broken iLok key that holds my licenses).

But as for now, the version two key is great and I love it.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.