Impatience got the better of me

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Impatience got the better of me

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      wilkinsi
      Participant

I've lost so many  wars on ebay, I gave up on trying to win an Eclipse on ebay. I've just ordered an Eventide Space. It wasn't an easy decision to make, and I suspect I'll still wind up buying the Pitchfactor later. I went for the Space because I used to own a DSP7500, and "Blackhole2" was my favourite preset.

wilkinsi
      Participant

Aside from the usual brilliant pitchshifting, sweet reverbs and smooth modulations, I managed to turn this pedal into an Overdrive pedal! Amazing. I have 2 other Eventide pedals planned, I just gotta have more!

Imerkat
      Participant

Those are the two pedals i have!  I'm not sure the difference between those and the Eclipse

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Eclipse V4 has the TimeFactor and ModFactor algorithms and presets, it does not have PitchFactor and Space.

There are some things that PitchFactor has that Eclipse doesn't … H910/H949 for example. Eclipse does not have Shimmer.

However, eclipse is very muscular are you can create shimmer, if you know what you are doing… There are some third party libraries that contain shimmers.

If you stray away from the presets the eclipse gates very. Implicated to program, so you are best to find a prest and then tweak the preset to get what you are after.

Eclipse is a very deep and flexible box, I sold my TimeFactor, ModFactor and PitchFactor to fund an Eclipse and have no regrets, but I kept my factors in a rack, still do with my Space.

Imerkat
      Participant

You just sparked my interest- May i ask you, do any of the Algorigthms allow you to modulate with a Ramp Up waveForm? and how deep is the unit?

(I have a pedalgear.net pedal board on it's was an was wondering what would be the best rack to put in its space)

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Not tried to modulate ramp up personally, but a quick search gives me this…..

http://forum.eventide.com/cs/forums/p/7808/35078.aspx

Is that what you were looking for?

Size Inches: 1.75h x 19w x 10.5d
      CM: 4.5h x 48.3w x 26.7d

It really is a great unit and has that lovely Eventide Flavour that I love.

Must admit I don't do much programming on it, mainly tweaking of a given preset… There are just loads of great presets that I mix in with other effects, mainly use it for pads, crystals and reverbs with space… And the TimeFactor band delays…

wilkinsi
      Participant

That's just it – I think I'd just be choosing the Eclipse's presets and tweaking them, as opposed to making dramatic changes on my Boss GT-10, using a 3rd party editor (99% of their presets suck). If I were to successfully win a used Eclipse on ebay, I don't think I'd want to sell off my Space. I've made some user presets I really like. I've yet to custom make any pitch-shifting presets on the Space, most of mine involve flanging, with the exception of one which sounds like a beehive. Besides, I like the idea of being able to use the Space as a controller for the Eclipse.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

I am a BIG reverb guy, and the Eclipse and space work really well together sonically… No intention off selling either.

wilkinsi
      Participant

I haven't produced an album in 11 years+. At this rate, I'm never gonna record any songs. I can't stop switching, tweaking and saving. I've held off the Pitchfactor, as I really want an Eclipse. 

Imerkat
      Participant

badmelonfarmer:

Size Inches: 1.75h x 19w x 10.5d
      CM: 4.5h x 48.3w x 26.7d

Thanks for the Info!! went to check it in's and outs of this unit  and it's such a powerful unit. seems to replace  the TF and MF plus then some. (just wished it was less then 7.5 inches deep to fit in my pedal-rack)

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

No problem, happy to help.

The Eclipse is way more than TimeFactor and ModFactor… I bought mine to cover those bases, but I find myself using the Eclipse part way more than I thought I would.

I still use BandDelays on the TimeFactor presets because I have built a song around it and I have never found anything else to fit it as well as the "Guitars in Space" preset (tweaked a little)

wilkinsi
      Participant

I am of the firm mind of owning both the Eclipse and the Space. There is no mention of  "Modechoverb" in the Eclipse's algorithm manual. I have 4 user presets I made that I'm not prepared to lose. Whilst the Eclipse might be capable of producing similar/identical presets, I am not prepared to take the risk of having to spend donkeys years programming it fom scratch. I made that mistake when changing from one Boss GT FX to another.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

ModEchoVerb is based on things like "EchoSpace of God", "Choral Canyon" etc …. lots of goodies like that on Eclipse that sound great.

But I understand where you are coming from and for ease / speed of tweaking…..thats one of the reasons I use Space a lot

wilkinsi
      Participant

So the Eclipse does  the Space's algorithms, just named differently?

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

No, not exactly…just the way that the Eclipse is so modular it could in theory be made very close to Space.

For example, Eclipse does not have Shimmer….but I have a 3rd party library that contains a Shimmer preset as they made it from the ground up.

ModEchoVerb can be very similar to the Choral Canyon and Flange Canyon, EchoSpace Of God etc on the Eclipse.

It is a bit difficult to explain as the Eclipse approaches effects from a different way than traditional effects … IMHO.

Not sure if this is "Technically" correct, but the way I think of it is that ModEchoVerb on Space, for example, is made up of separate effects modules… Modulation and Echo and a Reverb…Eventide weave their magic and it ends up as a single Algorithm…on the Eclipse you have lots of separate effect modules that you can combine to make up an algorithm… but it is not that easy to do…. so mortals like me would find a preset that we like …say "EchoSpace of God" and tweak the components within that preset to make our own variation.

It is the same with Blackhole …on the Eclipse there is a preset called Blackhole 2 …. which gives you the Blackhole style sounds from Space….again Blackhole is made up of individual effect modules within the algorithm to make the overall effect.

Shimmer is the same, it is a combination of Delays, Pitchshifting, reverb and modulation, feedingback to give a cascading pitch effect …. all combined together to create Shimmer…. in theory you could do it with loads of separate stompboxes….but it would be very impractical.

Hope that helps, as I said… it may not be "Technically" correct…. but it is how a simple person like me thinks about it. 

wilkinsi
      Participant

I've found a used Eclipse! Big Smile If all goes well, it should be here in a week.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Congrats man!!

Exciting times!!

Now, in preparation to be able to get it up to version 4… Do you have CompactFlash card that can be formatted using FAT? (you need it to be FAT if if is earlier than 3.5 (?) )

Have fun!

wilkinsi
      Participant

V4 already installed.Cool

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.