Improvement of rotary algorithm request

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Improvement of rotary algorithm request

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      harmamusic

I recently compared the H9 rotary to the Neo Ventilator II and the Neo Mini Vent to the Axe Fx II, Mobius and Mini Vent. The Neo instrument pedals are top of the line for rotary simulation IMO. I did think that the H9 rotary algorithm was the best of the other pedals/multi-effectors so I would like to ask if Eventide would consider improving the algorithm? Possible additions/changes:

– Adding a drive control to get the tube like breakup like a real leslie (122)

– Improving the phasing/3D aspect of the rotary sound. I tried the Giant setting but for me it makes the HI (horn) seem too shimmery. 

– Improving the Fast/Slow ramping up/down and the Brake (stop)

Here are the video's I created for reference:

[View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8eOFRu2oBY&list=UUIMDyg6oYgNSI1SF8eHptSg:550:0%5D

[View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH_KPh3v_vE&list=UUIMDyg6oYgNSI1SF8eHptSg:550:0%5D

[View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG7-iKKA0oo&list=UUIMDyg6oYgNSI1SF8eHptSg:550:0%5D

harmamusic
      Bodde
      Participant

The links work Harry. Very good compare videos! Have to agree that the Neo beats them all.

harmamusic

Thanks bodde. It would be very cool if Eventide could improve the algorithm. 

sugabear2133
      Participant

I second this motion!

gkellum
      Participant

Thanks for posting those videos Harry. I sent them on to the DSP engineer that developed the Rotary algorithm for him to consider.

harmamusic

Thanks! 

Bodde
      Participant

Good news and thanks!

dimitris1179
      Participant

My Modfactor likes the idea of an updated algo (and my H9 too)! Cool

cbm
      Participant

I hope he/she is inspired. The Rotary is the rare Eventide algorithm that it good, but not great.

iliaspap

+1   An inproved (more 3D like Ventilator and Strymon Lex) rotary algo for the H9 would be awesome!

dimitris1179
      Participant

Is there anything new about this?

dimitris1179
      Participant

Ok, so it was perhaps a little politically incorrect to ask you about a new “feature” the day that you released an important firmware update. The question is still valid however, and even a small hint will be more than fine (working on it, considering it, frozen, low priority etc….).

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry – we really can't say (or even hint) anything about future releases until they are very close. (Too many variables, and endless abuse if things get delayed).

For now, all I can say is that the request has been noted.

iliaspap
        nickrose wrote:

For now, all I can say is that the request has been noted.

These are awesome news. H9 is killer in Delays, Reverbs, but the modfactor algos need some impovements, competitors are ahead in this section. Rotary is one of them, both Lex and Ventilator are more organic and 3Dimenional.

A real univibe would be great addition in the mod-factor algos also.

Thanks for the support and congrats for the latest update, great additions indeed!

Hi, please someone can me suggest how I have to setting rotary on mod-facor to obtain a guitar effect like that of David Gilmoure on breathe (dark side of the moon – rhitmic guitar)? I’m trying to do it, but I don’t be able….

Thanks in advance for your support,

Roberto

joinpobob

Roberto, here is what I use for Breathe (great song, btw).  I hope you like it.  I use the phaser algo, not the rotary.  

OP, I agree, the Rotary Algo could use an update.  I really like to use Rotary sounds when I can get it to sound good.  The best I have gotten so far is to use one H9 on rotary and one H9 on Comp/EQ “telephony” preset.  That gets me some of the Leslie-sounding distortion.  

Best, 

RS

roberto marini wrote:

Hi, please someone can me suggest how I have to setting rotary on mod-facor to obtain a guitar effect like that of David Gilmoure on breathe (dark side of the moon – rhitmic guitar)? I’m trying to do it, but I don’t be able….

Thanks in advance for your support,

Roberto

marcusm750
        joinpobob wrote:

The best I have gotten so far is to use one H9 on rotary and one H9 on Comp/EQ “telephony” preset.  That gets me some of the Leslie-sounding distortion.  

This is exactly what I do with my ModFactor and H9 to lo-fi the Rotary algo and remove some of the high-frequency sheen.  In fact, this also works well with Crystals and Shimmer to remove some of the down-right shrill at times (but for these I open up the low end in the telephony preset).

st.bede
      Participant

I also stack some algorithms to get a little deeper and more organic sounding univibe.

marcusm750
        st.bede wrote:

I also stack some algorithms to get a little deeper and more organic sounding univibe.

In my pursuit for a more lumpy, lopsided and hippy-trippy Uni-Vibe, I tried stacking an MXR Phase 45 into my ModFactor running the Lou-nivibe (12:2) preset.  The results were less than spectacular: when they swept together, it was awesome; but when they swept against each other, it quickly became a muddled mess.

Now that I also have an H9 with the Phaser algo, I should try stacking two Lou-nivibes with their tap tempos sync’ed via MIDI to see how this would work.

What algo(s) do you stack with the Lou-nivibe or your own Phaser preset to achieve a “more organic” Uni-Vibe?

st.bede
        Participant
        marcusm750 wrote:

st.bede wrote:

In my pursuit for a more lumpy, lopsided and hippy-trippy Uni-Vibe, I tried stacking an MXR Phase 45 into my ModFactor running the Lou-nivibe (12:2) preset.  The results were less than spectacular: when they swept together, it was awesome; but when they swept against each other, it quickly became a muddled mess.

Now that I also have an H9 with the Phaser algo, I should try stacking two Lou-nivibes with their tap tempos sync’ed via MIDI to see how this would work.

What algo(s) do you stack with the Lou-nivibe or your own Phaser preset to achieve a “more organic” Uni-Vibe?

It was a awhile ago and since then I have pulled off my board two of my factor pedals. Basically my board was crammed and I wanted to put a different pedal on. I was not going for a full univibe sound but i did get more depth and trippyness. I do not look at Eventide as a replacement of my fav pedals but more as a extremely functional and great sounding choice. Just like my PRS will never replace my Gibson and Fender guitars. My PRS has its own sound and that is why I have it. Having said all that I would like a better univibe sound. If I get a chance I will pull out my other eventide factors and see what I stacked.

st.bede
        Participant
        st.bede wrote:

marcusm750 wrote:

st.bede wrote:

It was a awhile ago and since then I have pulled off my board two of my factor pedals. Basically my board was crammed and I wanted to put a different pedal on. I was not going for a full univibe sound but i did get more depth and trippyness. I do not look at Eventide as a replacement of my fav pedals but more as a extremely functional and great sounding choice. Just like my PRS will never replace my Gibson and Fender guitars. My PRS has its own sound and that is why I have it. Having said all that I would like a better univibe sound. If I get a chance I will pull out my other eventide factors and see what I stacked.

I have not read or thought about this in a long time. I am again running my MF with  my TF. I will take a look.

air621
      Participant

Just trying to keep this alive. I wish the rotary effect had drive control similar to a Leslie.

rck
      Participant

I’ve spent quite a few hours working with the Rotary Algo on the H9, and while it is good, I have not been very successful addding “drive” to it (with clean boosts, EQ, Comp and OD pedals) to simulate that “throb” that some other Rotary pedals have.  

A little tweak to the exisitng Algo would be really, really useful (and very much appreciated) and would eliminate the need for another companies Rotary pedal.

Thanks Eventide for the consideration.

iliaspap

So.. no improvment in Rotary or any other Mod algorithm of H9 in 2.6.0 update.. 

dantahoua

I add my voice for the improvment of the Rotary algorithm… Everything that was said in the first post is exactly what it must be done! 🙂 Driver, better 3d, better ramping…

dagjonas

Just keeping this alive, waiting 🙂

llemtt
      Participant

Yesterday I bought the rotary algorithm… great!!

But it surely needs little improvements…

+1

lemonengine1
      Participant

+1 Would be great if you could assign the fast/slow “performance” switch functionality to one of the aux switches.

camn
      Participant

You can totally use the Aux switch as a performance switch. 

vseager
      Participant

Drive feature for true lesley tube breakup would be great! 

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.