Increased noise/hum when running Timefactor in stereo.

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Increased noise/hum when running Timefactor in stereo.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

For over two years, I've been running out of both Timefactor outputs (to a Fender HRD and a Traynor Bassmaster) for both live and recording. Over the past few months my setup has been getting noisier. The noise sounds like it's an octave below a single-coil's 60-cycle hum, but the noise doesn't go away when using a humbucker. I've even had sound guys complain to me at shows about how loud my Bassmaster hums when i'm not playing. But if i plug my guitar directly into the Bassmaster or into the Fender, the noise i'm talking about isn't there. So this weekend i tried troubleshooting my various pedals and cables and i found that:

This noise is only there when there are cables plugged into both outputs of the Timefactor. Regardless of whether the cable from output 2 is plugged into an amp or not and regardless of whether or not that amp is on, the noise dissapears from amp 1 when i unplug the cable from output 2. When i plug the cable back into output 2, that noise appears again.

Has anyone else experienced this? It wasn't always like this. It only started doing this a few months ago.

Thanks!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Do you get your problem when the cable into output 2 is unconnected at the other end ?

If no, it is some kind of ground loop. If yes … I've no idea.

Yes, i'm pretty sure I tried it both ways last night, and whether or not the output 2 cable was plugged into an amp or not, the noise appeared/disappeared when i plugged that cable into the Timefactor.

I will test again to make sure. If it does turn out to be a groundloop problem, is there a simple solution? I use the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 and use it's AC plug to power the TimeFactor. Then i Have my amps plugged into a different power strip. Could that be causing a problem?

Thanks!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sadly, ground loops cannot be diagnosed generically. They depend on many things….

I would certainly suggest that you plug ALL your gear into the same power strip (directly or indirectly) – if different power strips plug into different wall outlets, ground loops or worse are quite likely.

pearlsrock

Same issue here. Running Eventide last off my chain into a Vox AC30 and Blues Junior. All gear into same power strip. Persistent hum that has been noticed by sound guys…love that stereo sound but it ain't worth a hum that sacrifices the overall sound.

You must get this http://www.ebtechaudio.com/humxdes.html  !!!!!!

I should have posted about it before. This instantly solved my problem. I've even had sound guys see it and ask me about it saying they wish a bandmate had something like that for their rig. Everything is still grounded, but somehow this filters something and the super-annoying hum is gone. Instead of using it for your whole power supply, you just plug one amp into this. They're around $65, and it was totally worth it for me. The stereo sound of the Timefactor is a must!

pearlsrock

Thanks man! Going to Guitar Center tomorrow to pick it up! Big Smile

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.