iOS 9.3.1 and broken Bluetooth connectivity

Home Forums Products Stompboxes iOS 9.3.1 and broken Bluetooth connectivity

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      gkellum
      Participant

The iOS 9.3.1 update has made it impossible for some newer iOS devices to connect to the H9 via Bluetooth.  We've gotten reports from owners of the iPad Pro, iPhone 6 Plus, and iPhone 5C that after upgrading to iOS 9.3.1 they could no longer connect H9 Control to their H9s via Bluetooth, but they still were able to connect H9 Control to their H9s via Bluetooth with iOS devices not running iOS 9.3.1.  We saw this same behavior ourselves with an iPad Pro that we have in house.  It worked fine at first with the H9 but after upgrading it to iOS 9.3.1 it would pair with the H9 but H9 Control couldn't communicate with the H9.

We filed a bug report with Apple with a Bluetooth diagnostic log, and they closed our bug report as a duplicate of a previously reported bug report.  So, apparently, Apple is aware of the problem.

We've now filed a technical support request from Apple to get more information about the issue and are awaiting a response.  

At the moment, we are assuming that this is a bug in iOS 9.3.1, and there is nothing that we can do but wait for Apple to fix the issue, which given their release cycle may take 4 – 5 months.  So, if you have a newer iOS device that you use with H9 Control, please consider whether you really should upgrade your iOS device to the latest version of iOS before we have some sort of resolution of this problem.

gkellum
      Participant

We heard back from Apple regarding our technical support request.  Apple has fixed the problem in the iOS 9.3.2 beta release.  Unfortunately, only people with Apple developer accounts can access these beta releases (https://developer.apple.com/ios/download), but we downloaded and installed the iOS 9.3.2 beta release on an iPad Pro we have showing the same problem and it did indeed fix the problem.

We don't know when Apple will release iOS 9.3.2 to the general public.  Hopefully, they will do so soon.

guitardojo
      Participant

Apple release 9.3.2

guitardojo
      Participant

• Fixes an issue where some Bluetooth accessories could experience audio quality issues when paired to the iPhone SE
      • Fixes an issue where looking up dictionary definitions could fail
      • Addresses an issue that prevented typing email addresses when using the Japanese Kana keyboard in Mail and Messages
      • Fixes and issue for VoiceOver users using the Alex voice, where the device switches to a different voice to announce punctuation or spaces
      • Fixes an issue that prevented MDM servers from installing Custom B2B app

Some reports have come in that the update is bricking iPad Pros. Use caution

gkellum
        Participant
        guitardojo wrote:
        Some reports have come in that the update is bricking iPad Pros. Use caution

Jesus!

ChuckHanning

I still have been having problems with my iPhone I got in April connecting with my H9 using H9 control via iOS. The blue tooth connection always looses connection whenever I try to audition another program within an algorithm I have or a new algorithm I don’t have. I am able to do this using the camera adapter, which means I am not usng the bluetooth. While this wokable for now, I have debating buying an H9 core to load two agorithms, sinc I am slowly working on coverting the first to an H9 max.

I had updated my phone to iOS 9.3.2 and it still not solve the problem. Yesteray I then updated to 9.3.3 and it still didn’t work.

I still need to test the bluetooh using another device, but I don’t have anything else in my house to test. I will eventually buy a bluetooth adapter for my computer so that I can use the windows versions to test with H9 unit.

blcouch

I’m also having issues updating my H9max.  I haven’t used it in about a month and a half.  Went to update it with my Iphone 6s+.  No joy.  About 10 times.  Downloaded H9 control for my Macbook Pro.  Tried via bluetooth and usb.  No joy. About 10 times.  Tried every permutation of bluetooth on/off. Cable in/out. Either I get the “can not connect”, “too many tries” message or it gets to about 42% and it stops due to “device hasn’t responded in 5 tries” or something like that.  I updated any outstanding updates on my Macbook.  I have 9.3.3 on my 6s+.  Is it time to send it in to Eventide?  I purchased this new in March or April this year.

gkellum
        Participant
        blcouch wrote:

Is it time to send it in to Eventide?  I purchased this new in March or April this year.

Well, we have alternative updaters that you could try.  Quick question though: When you turn your H9 on, does the display light up immediately, or is there a 10 second delay before the display lights up?

blcouch
        gkellum wrote:
        blcouch wrote:

Is it time to send it in to Eventide?  I purchased this new in March or April this year.

Well, we have alternative updaters that you could try.  Quick question though: When you turn your H9 on, does the display light up immediately, or is there a 10 second delay before the display lights up?

Turns on immediately with “H9 Max v5.3.0. Now, sometimes when I tried the update there would be an “Update Bad” message. But aside from that it always starts normally.

gkellum
        Participant
        blcouch wrote:

Turns on immediately with "H9 Max v5.3.0. Now, sometimes when I tried the update there would be an "Update Bad" message. But aside from that it always starts normally.

Alright, that sounds promising.  It's a bit mystifying though that you're having trouble updating with USB as well.  We do hear from people having trouble updating via Bluetooth fairly often, but they are almost always able to update via USB.  

There's an alternative updater bundled into H9 Control called the Eventide Direct Updater.  It differs from the updater in H9 Control in that it writes an update directly to where it's supposed to be installed;  that means that unlike the H9 Control updater, if it fails while updating, you'll no longer be able to use the H9 b/c it will try to start from an only partially installed software update.  So, don't try updating this way if you have any important shows coming up.

When you open H9 Control, if you look at the Mac menu bar at the top of the screen and click on the Window menu, you'll see an option there labelled 'Open Eventide Direct Updater'.  This updater only works via USB, and you'll want to start your H9 into Update mode to use it.  You do this by turning it off and turning it on again with the HotKnob switch pressed (the switch in the upper left hand corner of the H9).  It should be self explanatory to use.

blcouch
        gkellum wrote:
        blcouch wrote:

Turns on immediately with "H9 Max v5.3.0. Now, sometimes when I tried the update there would be an "Update Bad" message. But aside from that it always starts normally.

Alright, that sounds promising.  It's a bit mystifying though that you're having trouble updating with USB as well.  We do hear from people having trouble updating via Bluetooth fairly often, but they are almost always able to update via USB.  

There's an alternative updater bundled into H9 Control called the Eventide Direct Updater.  It differs from the updater in H9 Control in that it writes an update directly to where it's supposed to be installed;  that means that unlike the H9 Control updater, if it fails while updating, you'll no longer be able to use the H9 b/c it will try to start from an only partially installed software update.  So, don't try updating this way if you have any important shows coming up.

When you open H9 Control, if you look at the Mac menu bar at the top of the screen and click on the Window menu, you'll see an option there labelled 'Open Eventide Direct Updater'.  This updater only works via USB, and you'll want to start your H9 into Update mode to use it.  You do this by turning it off and turning it on again with the HotKnob switch pressed (the switch in the upper left hand corner of the H9).  It should be self explanatory to use.

I tried that and it worked the first time!!! Thank you so much for the help and sorry if I hijacked the thread.

rodneyt58

I recently updated IOS on iPad to 9.3.4 Connection to H9Max Bluetooth connectivity drops and have to go back an re- establish a connection to the H9max. I’ve only had this unit 2 weeks. Help Please fix. The H9 Max has current update on all Algorithm.

gkellum
        Participant
        rodneyt58 wrote:
        I recently updated IOS on iPad to 9.3.4 Connection to H9Max Bluetooth connectivity drops and have to go back an re- establish a connection to the H9max. I've only had this unit 2 weeks. Help Please fix. The H9 Max has current update on all Algorithm.

Alright, here are a few questions.  What model iPad do you have (iPad Air, iPad Pro etc)?  Did this first start happening after your updated your iPad to iOS 9.3.4, and everything was working fine before?  Do you have any other iOS devices, and if so, does this happen with those devices?

When you say the Bluetooth connectivity drops, I think that means that you have to go into Apple's Settings app, go to Bluetooth Settings, and then reconnect the H9 via Bluetooth there.  This is what's happening?  Or are you seeing communication errors in the app?  Are you doing anything specifically before this happens, or does it seem to happen at random times?

rodneyt58
        gkellum wrote:
        rodneyt58 wrote:
        I recently updated IOS on iPad to 9.3.4 Connection to H9Max Bluetooth connectivity drops and have to go back an re- establish a connection to the H9max. I've only had this unit 2 weeks. Help Please fix. The H9 Max has current update on all Algorithm.

Alright, here are a few questions.  What model iPad do you have (iPad Air, iPad Pro etc)?  Did this first start happening after your updated your iPad to iOS 9.3.4, and everything was working fine before?  Do you have any other iOS devices, and if so, does this happen with those devices?

When you say the Bluetooth connectivity drops, I think that means that you have to go into Apple's Settings app, go to Bluetooth Settings, and then reconnect the H9 via Bluetooth there.  This is what's happening?  Or are you seeing communication errors in the app?  Are you doing anything specifically before this happens, or does it seem to happen at random times?

IPad Air 2, No started happening before IOS update on , No other IOS device, no communication error messages, I’m playing my guitar when it happens , I’m not going to be able to use this on stage at my church because , I can’t keep stopping to rest a Bluetooth connection.

gkellum
        Participant
        rodneyt58 wrote:
        IPad Air 2, No started happening before IOS update on , No other IOS device, no communication error messages, I'm playing my guitar when it happens , I'm not going to be able to use this on stage at my church because , I can't keep stopping to rest a Bluetooth connection.

That's a bit of a tough one.  We've never heard from someone with that specific problem before.  It could be a problem with the iPad or with the H9.  iPad Airs in particular have had flaky Bluetooth connectivity problems, but the problems we've heard of in the past applied to people trying to connect multiple H9s to an iPad Air.  There are a couple of different problems that can occur if an H9s Bluetooth chip isn't soldered correctly, but again, those problems typically have different symptoms than what you're describing.

You're powering the H9 with the Eventide power supply?  B/c under powering the H9 will usually affect the Bluetooth functionality before anything else…

If I were you, I'd probably do the following.  I'd reset the H9s system settings by turning it off and turning it on again with the right footswitch and the HotKnob switch pressed (the switch in the upper left hand corner of the H9), and I'd reset the iPads network settings by going into the iPad Settings app, then to General Settings, and then to Reset Settings.  And I'd check if the problem went away.

If you had another iOS device or another Bluetooth device to try with, that really could clear up what the source of the problem is.  Since you don't, it really becomes a matter of guessing what the more likely source of the problem is.  If my suggestions above didn't help, then I suppose you should consider either returning the H9 to the store you purchased it from, or sending it in to us to take a look.  To do the latter, you'd want to send an email to support@eventide.com with the serial number of your H9 and a link to this forum thread.

alinajetly

This problem was also on my iPhone, Then I found an in Google I a thread that had Solution, How to Fix Bluetooth not working in iOS and also read this new update iOS 11

glasgarten

Once I had a similar problem but it was a defect of my phone. However, it took me a lot of time and two services to find out the reason. From now on I first use this mobile device diagnostic software and only if it’s not enough I ask for professional help.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.