iOS app switcher and H9 Control

Home Forums Products Stompboxes iOS app switcher and H9 Control

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      skywriter
      Participant

So I’ve read the forum(s) here for a long time and never saw this subject mentioned. So here’s an observation, a request, and a follow up question:

Today when I switch apps, or even visit app switcher under iOS, H9 Control will apparently completely restart. This is literally the only app I’ve ever seen do this, and while I understand it might be necessary for back compatibility or to make the app simpler or handling the hardware easier, it doesn’t appear to be normal behavior for a modern tool chain component.

Please allow H9 Control to preserve (at least UI) state between app switches.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks!

mustafaicil
      Participant
      skywriter wrote:
      So I’ve read the forum(s) here for a long time and never saw this subject mentioned. So here’s an observation, a request, and a follow up question: Today when I switch apps, or even visit app switcher under iOS, H9 Control will apparently completely restart. This is literally the only app I’ve ever seen do this, and while I understand it might be necessary for back compatibility or to make the app simpler or handling the hardware easier, it doesn’t appear to be normal behavior for a modern tool chain component. Please allow H9 Control to preserve (at least UI) state between app switches. Am I missing something obvious here? Thanks!

Fully agree. At the middle of an algorithm edit job, if I switch to anything else on the phone, the app reopens and I have to start over. Very badly programmed multitasking. Also having to go to settings/blootooth every time to connect to H9 is a pain. No other bluetooth device needs that.

skywriter
      Participant

OK, so it’s not just me. Eventide: any chance to address this, or is this aspect of the architecture fixed?

Thanks!

skywriter
      Participant

Thank you eventide for making H9 Control run in the background! It updated last night sometime. Today when I went to switch back to H9 it came right up! I thought I was crazy for a second 🙂 nice work folks, thank you very much!

skywriter
      Participant

I never noticed the feature went away while I was in the studio. I have an iPad dedicated H9’s. But once I got into a less equipment rich environment, it really got to be a sore point. (Again) thanks for listening.

skywriter
      Participant

My iPad kept sapping the battery lately. Here’s the new problem related to H9 Control.
      1) using a “System Status” app for CPU usage. Steady State CPU during idle is 10%
      2) connect H9 via BT
      3) start H9 Control
      4) Steady State CPU 20%
      5) power cycle H9 (disconnecting H9 via BT System Preferences will also suffice)
      6) Steady State CPU 73%
      H9 Control will continue to consume 73% until H9 Control is killed and restarted. Reconnecting H9’s BT without quitting H9 Control doesn’t help.

skywriter
      Participant

Forgot png.

bohan
      Eventide Staff

Hi, I added some code to quit H9 Control when it's in background and loses Bluetooth connection. Could you please try this beta version? You can update H9 Control in TestFlight: https://testflight.apple.com/join/rTMrrvEQ

bohan
      Eventide Staff

There was an update released a few weeks ago that addressed this issue. You may download that version and see if that helps

skywriter
      Participant

Thank you! I figured someone would fix it. :0)

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      skywriter wrote:
      Thank you eventide for making H9 Control run in the background! It updated last night sometime. Today when I went to switch back to H9 it came right up! I thought I was crazy for a second 🙂 nice work folks, thank you very much!

No problem. Thank you for your feedback!

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      skywriter wrote:
      My iPad kept sapping the battery lately. Here's the new problem related to H9 Control. 1) using a "System Status" app for CPU usage. Steady State CPU during idle is 10% 2) connect H9 via BT 3) start H9 Control 4) Steady State CPU 20% 5) power cycle H9 (disconnecting H9 via BT System Preferences will also suffice) 6) Steady State CPU 73% H9 Control will continue to consume 73% until H9 Control is killed and restarted. Reconnecting H9's BT without quitting H9 Control doesn't help.

The way H9 Control used to work was it was killed whenever you switched out of the app. Now to make it work in the background, the H9 Control has to be active even if you are on other apps. By doing so it is possible to use 3rd party apps to send MIDI messages to H9 wirelessly through H9 Control. That's why the H9 Control is always active and consuming the battery. So now the app needs to be quit manually if you are not using it.

skywriter
      Participant

I get that. Here’s an attached annotated CPU plot, and descriptions of events.
      A) H9 control connected via BT running normally
      B) H9 power cycle
      C) reconnect H9 via BT in system preferences
      D) Same condition as A, but now with a 73% CPU time instead of 20%.
      Problem statement: After losing contact with H9 over BT, H9 control will enter a high CPU usage mode until killed and restarted.

Reconnecting the H9 without killing H9 Control, does not stop the problem. There are no other apps running starting from a power on of the iPad and H9.

skywriter
      Participant
      bohan wrote:

Hi, I added some code to quit H9 Control when it's in background and loses Bluetooth connection. Could you please try this beta version? You can update H9 Control in TestFlight: https://testflight.apple.com/join/rTMrrvEQ

Hi Bohan, I’ll give it a shot! Thank you!

skywriter
      Participant
      skywriter wrote:
      bohan wrote:

Hi Bohan, I’ll give it a shot! Thank you!

I’m sorry, I never got around to this. I’ve also left my iPad plugged in since then… :0)

I haven’t noticed if H9 control was updated since then either. Idk, was I the only one that saw this?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.