iPhone4 Can’t Type in Forum Description Field

Home Forums Products Stompboxes iPhone4 Can’t Type in Forum Description Field

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      ctc

iPhone4 Can't Type in Forum Description Field

This is a test to see if it can type in the HTML editor.

Apparently it can.

But it can't type directly into the description field.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Same on the iPad, I can't use the forum on my mobile devices.Crying

hywelg

This is more likely to be a browser issue than something specific to the site don't you think?

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Well yeah, but given that more and more people are using these types of devices to view the web I would have thought it would be in the interest of the companies to ensure their sites are compatible.

Look at youtube, for example, they recoded all their content with compatible codecs an then HTML5.

I guess Eventide will be more concerned about fixing the issue than apple would be.

ctc

Your post gave me an idea. I am replying using Apple's Safari browser on my PC. I believe the Apple iPhone uses the Safari browser. Apparently there is no problem with the Safari browser.

Remember all of that hype about the iPhone not supporting flash? I wonder if this is some other device limitation?

quintessence

Same scenario with my Droid X.  I can view the forum just fine… but can't type in the reply field.  

hywelg

But Safari on an iPhone and Safari on a Mac will not be the same code base. Just like IE on a Windows phone is not the same as IE on Win7.

Have you tried pressing the <tab> (I presume there is one on the iPhone keypad) key to go from the Title to the Description field?

hywelg

One other thing, I believe Eventide are using a proprietory forum software (I think its by IBM but not  sure) so it won't simply be a matter of a minor tweak, if indeed it is anything to do with the forum rather than your browser.

hywelg

The forum software is Tiny MCE an open source CMS add on. However it has problems with mobile browsers see here

http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=22209

ctc

Unfortunately I don't know how to open the iphone keypad without tapping into an editable field like Description.

I tried to type into the iPhone's notepad, copy the text, and then paste it into the Description field, however the tap paste function of the iPhone doesn't present itself in this instance either.

Something peculiar to note, the tap copy feature of the iphone will select the entire Description field for copying, however it is of course empty.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

hywelg:

The forum software is Tiny MCE an open source CMS add on. However it has problems with mobile browsers see here

http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=22209

Good find!

I would imagine there might be more luck with google fixing it than Apple.

Apple are more than a bit arrogant on these types of thing, unfortunately

Hopefully TinyMCE and or Apple will sort it out sooner rather than later.

I would have thought TinyMCE will be under pressure to add mobile support as others have.

ctc

Yes, unfortunately the link, on the page that you posted, to report a bug to Apple reports that it has been limited to developers only.

hywelg

I don't think its a case of tinyMCE being under pressure to add mobile support, its that those browsers don't fully support the whole javascript codebase properly. Its Google and Apple that will have to move to fix this. It seems Google have acknowledged the fault and think they have fixed it for Android 2.2 but infact its still broken. Apple, as always, are on a different planetBig Smile

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

it is still not fixed in android 2.3… just tried… same results.

I miss my eventide forum fix when out and about.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Test, does this work?

Test from iPad

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Ok, if you change the editor to plain text in the forum options rather than the default it seems to work!

Yay, can now use the forums on the move!

Tested on iPad 1, this is from the iPhone 4… Will try android tomorrow.

ctc

Show off! 😉

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

LOL

Just stumbled on the option and thought, "hmmm… I wonder"

To set it up…

Click on "Edit" next to your forum name on the top right of this screen.(NOT Edit Profile)

select "Site Options"
      then change "Content Editor" to "Plain Text"

that's it.

ctc

You are right! Nice find! From my iPhone.

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Glad we have a way to use the forums on the move, the formatting seems to get lost….but seems ok for quick replies etc

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Reply from an Android phone….test

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Test with IOS5 beta, seems to work with enhanced and standard editing modes too…..nice!Geeked

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

iPad with IOS5 works too, yay! Let's hope apple keep the bits that support this.

sjoplin

Great work. Typing this on iPad.
      Thanks
      Sean

sjoplin

Working here.

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.