Is this possible via midi with the Timefactor?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Is this possible via midi with the Timefactor?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      birthofahero
      Participant

Hey guys, just bought a Timefactor about a month ago and it is definitely one of my favorite pedals right now! So cool. 
      Anyway, I have a question regarding using the midi out on the Timefactor. I am using the Timefactor with an Adrenalinn and have it from: Timefactor midi out > Adrenalinn midi in. I have programmed the Timefactor to sync its clock with the Adrenalinn, so when I tap tempo they both change to the tapped tempo. My question is this, I dont use global tempo on the Timefactor so I can have it song specific and just jump to that song and its already locked in to the desired tempo. When I do this, the Timefactor changes but the Adrenalinn still is set to whatever tempo I tapped in. In other words, when I change presets on the Timefactor, the tempo doesnt change on the Adrenalinn. Is there a fix for this? I looked through the menus on the Timefactor but couldnt find anything. Thanks for any help.

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

Hi birthofahero,

What version of the firmware is your timefactor running?  This may be the result of an old bug that would be remedied by upgrading to the latest software.  

birthofahero
      Participant

I have the latest firmware. Beta 4 I believe.

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      This may be the result of an old bug that would be remedied by upgrading to the latest software.

Could very well be.  The AdrenaLinn III has a "feature" which shifts from external clock to the internal clock setting, after 100 ms. passes without receipt of a MIDI Timing Clock message.  I know that whenever I have a power glitch or similar, I have to "goose" the ADR III back into MID mode by varying my master clock BPM (not an Eventide device).

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

To be sure, lets check.  Here are the steps:

1. Go into the system menu by holding the encoder and right footswitch

2. Turn the encoder until the screen reads UTILITY, then press the encoder

3. Turn the encoder until the screen reads SW VER, then press the encoder

What version does it read?

birthofahero
      Participant

I am on 3.5.0[4]

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

The TF should be sending the correct MIDICLK OUT after a preset change and/or MIDI PC. I know this b/c another factor pedal correcty follows the change. I would check with the Adrenalinn guys to see if that box looks for MIDICLK data after a Program Change.  Does the Adrenallinn MIDICLK follow any other boxes after preset change?

birthofahero
      Participant

The only midi I have is from the timefactor to the adrenalinn. 

Worth noting: My Adrenalinn is the very first version and they are on V3 right now, so maybe its in an updated version?

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

I would check their documentation and see if it is something they fixed.  You could also just update it and see what happens.  You should contact Roger Linn Designs though if you have trouble. 

Good Luck!

birthofahero
      Participant

I would love to update the Adrenalinn but the replacement chip is 100$ that I just dont have right now.

Thanks for the help, I will contact Roger. 

Ihate100bees

I am having the same problem… But the order of the pedals that you have, is reversed in my set up. I use a Behringer FCB 1010 controller between both petals and select presets together so they move like one unit, but I have tried syncing the clock to be able to tap on only one of the units, and cannot get it to work. I think tapping and clock would be better on the Time Factor, but the adrenaline will also be fine if I can get it to work.

Ihate100bees

…just want to add that both units have the latest software.

brock
      Participant

To confirm the MIDI routing, is it  FCB-1010 –> AdrenaLinn III –> TimeFactor?

The ADR III System Sync (bottom row – second knob) should be Out or i-o.  The TF should have CLK In = On, and OUTPUT = THRU.  The AdrenaLinn will be the tempo master.

If the MIDI routing were FCB-1010 –> TimeFactor –> AdrenaLinn III, I can see where program changes and CC messages would pass [OUTPUT = THRU], but tap tempo wouldn't work.  That would require CLK Out = On, and OUTPUT = XMT for the Timefactor to be the tempo master.  The ADR III would follow the TF clock with a Sync setting of in or i-o.  Unfortunately, OUTPUT = XMT  would then block all MIDI messages coming from the FCB-1010. 

I have a similar routing for part of my MIDI chain.

–> External Clock source / tap tempo -> FCB-1010 (MIDI Merge On) –> PitchFactor (OUTPUT=THRU) –> ADR III (i-o) –>

That helps to get around the Factor pedal's "either-or" MIDI Implementation.  Either you transmit MIDI, or you can receive MIDI and pass it on through.  I'm not sure if any of this will help you out of your situation.

There are a few different routings to explore, and some of them involve compromises.  For example, you can use an FCB-1010 switch to tap tempo to the TimeFactor and/or AdrenaLinn.  And a few more settings in both devices that could be stopping you cold (PSt or dbt as a Tempo Source, rather than SYS in the AdrenaLinn, for example).  A few more details would help here.

BTW, my audio routing goes in the opposite direction.  The Adrenalinn III is the border between my mono signal / effects and the stereo ones that follow.

Ihate100bees

Hi, Thanks so much for your help. Yes, I have discovered most of what
      you shared was accurate and working for me. I have also been trying to come up
      with an easy midi routing to just use the Adrenalinn and Time Factor pedal, without the
      FCB1010 Controller. I did find that it worked well this way when setting the Time Factor PRG XMT
      set to ON, to control the Adrenalinn presets, but I was hoping to go
      opposite this… having the Adrenalinn presets (#1, #2,#3, etc…) move the Time Factor's
      banks 1.1, 1.2, 2.1, 2.2, etc…). Still working on that….and to use Time Factor
      TAP because it sets the tempo way sooner than Adrenalinn does.

Thanks again, and when I finalize a great routing, I will share it!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.