ISSUES, SPIKES, NOISES

Home Forums Products Stompboxes ISSUES, SPIKES, NOISES

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #112988
      verodario
      Participant

      Hey everybody at Eventide !

      Lot of issues, unfortunately.

       

      I REALLY NEED TO SOLVE AL OF THESE PROBLEM ASAP, BECAUSE I CAN’T WORK !!!

       

      Please !

       

      Show More...
      Thank you everybody.

       

      Have a nice day !

       

       

      Dario Vero

       

      Hi guys. This is Dario Vero from Rome, Italy. I’m writing you because unfortunately I am having lot of troubles with my pedals. I’ve already wrote to you during this summer, but you never answered to me. I have the 4 factor pedals. I always use my pedals in studio/television (not for live shows/gigs). No trips, no airplane. In a smoke free studio. I’ve updated my pedals to the last OS and….SPIKES, ISSUES, NOISES !!! The very first time was this summer during a very important session at Forward Studio. I also bought the power factor 2 ( at funky junk Italy, the authorized dealer, that is also one of the distributors I work for as a musician for demos). I tried to power this pedals with the original power supplies insead of the Power Fatcor 2. Everytime it’s the same. But the question is that I can’t work with all this spikes !! It’s impossible ! Alberto, Mario and all the guys from Funky Junky Italy said that the best is to write to you. Can you help me ? What I should do ? I have Eventide since I started as a pro. Now it’s more then 15 years with you, and I really don’t want to change and switch to Strymon, Boss or other brands. Believe me guys, I really like the way Eventide’s pedals/racks sounds. Now I need to solve my problem asap. I’ve lot of studio sessions and on January I’ll probably be in tour with an important european band. Do you have an official engineer/technician in Italy ? Rome ? Europe ? Or maybe I’ve to send you all my pedals ? How much is it ? What can I do here ? What you suggest me to do ?

      In these days I’m seriously thinking about the insane idea of buying an H9 Max just to work without noises for the studio sessions and stuff like that.

      Just to continue my work in studio. So, please let me know asap. Thank you in advance. Have a nice day. Dario Vero verodario@gmail.com

      Show Less...
    • #141372
      gkellum
      Participant

      Hi Dario,

      You need to give us a bit more detail about the problem(s) you've been having for us to be able to help you.  You wrote, "spikes, issues, noises".

      (1) By "spikes" I assume you mean volume spikes.  Is this when switching presets or at other times too?

      (2) Issues?  What issues specifically?

      (3) Noises.  Are you saying that you're hearing unexpected noises when playing?  This isn't normal, or something I can say we've heard about from other customers.  Could you try to isolate the problem to a particular unit?

      Generally speaking, if you could describe specific problems you're having with particular pedals (preferably that you can reliably reproduce), we should be able to help you a lot more at that point.  Sometimes making a quick cellphone video showing a problem is helpful too.

    • #141375
      verodario
      Participant

      Hi Dan. 2 Videos for you folks !!!

      this first one is from my iphone 4

      The second is from a Pro Tools’s bounce

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpU6WSjPyDU

      https://youtu.be/5DGDXzQvn68

    • #141380
      gkellum
      Participant

      Hi Dario,

      Yeah, I could clearly hear the scratchiness that you described after you enabled the TimeFactor.  I've heard that sort of scratchiness in two cases in the past.  (1) a unit has  bad memory or (2) after updating a device the update didn't install correctly.  Since you said that this problem only started happening after you installed the latest TimeFactor release, just reinstalling the release again might fix the problem.  When you turn your TimeFactor on, does the display come on immediately by the way, or is there a 10 second delay before the display comes on?  The reason that I ask is that there have been cases where the software that actually handles the installation of updates gets corrupted, and if it is corrupted, there's a 10 second delay before the display turns on.  That could be one reason why an update didn't install correctly.

      • #141381
        verodario
        Participant

        Hi Dan. Thank you for your time !
        No delays. Tomorrow I’ll try to install again the firmware.
        All my factor pedals were the very first pedal that you released for Europe. I had the entire Factor suite just in time for the italian preview.
        Are them a sort of beta version ?
        I say that because I can heard a some little issues also on the other pedals. Especially if I use the stompboxes for hours.
        Let me know asap. I can send you my pedalboard on monday (with Funky Junk Italy).

        gkellum wrote:

        Hi Dario,

        Yeah, I could clearly hear the scratchiness that you described after you enabled the TimeFactor.  I've heard that sort of scratchiness in two cases in the past.  (1) a unit has  bad memory or (2) after updating a device the update didn't install correctly.  Since you said that this problem only started happening after you installed the latest TimeFactor release, just reinstalling the release again might fix the problem.  When you turn your TimeFactor on, does the display come on immediately by the way, or is there a 10 second delay before the display comes on?  The reason that I ask is that there have been cases where the software that actually handles the installation of updates gets corrupted, and if it is corrupted, there's a 10 second delay before the display turns on.  That could be one reason why an update didn't install correctly.

    • #141382
      verodario
      Participant

      Hi Dan. Thank you for your time !
      No delays. Tomorrow I’ll try to install again the firmware.
      All my factor pedals were the very first pedal that you released for Europe. I had the entire Factor suite just in time for the italian preview.
      Are them a sort of beta version ?
      I say that because I can heard a some little issues also on the other pedals. Especially if I use the stompboxes for hours.
      Let me know asap. I can send you my pedalboard on monday (with Funky Junk Italy).

      • #141383
        gkellum
        Participant
        verodario wrote:
        Are they a sort of beta version ? I say that because I can heard a some little issues also on the other pedals.

        Yes, all of the current v5.2 releases are beta releases.  If you are seeing other "little issues" as you say, please let us know what they are or make a video showing them if you can.  If people don't tell us about what little issues they're seeing, they'll never get fixed.  If they're keeping you from working though, you can always reinstall the earlier official releases.

    • #141394
      verodario
      Participant

      Ok.

      But what I need to know is: what IF my issues, after reinstalling the firmware or downgrading the firmware, will still remain ?

      Do you change my stompboxes for free? Should I pay for this ? I don’t want to seem stingy, but after buying all this pedals, the racks, all the plug ins, and also the accessories (Ciocks) it would be really absurd to spend more money !! I’am an Eventide user since I was a pro…and, as I already said, I don’t want to change and switch to Tc, Strymon, Fractal and stuff like that. Both for the studio that for the live.

      then, WHY I have this noises ? And, about our topic on the “beta version”, I wasn’t talking about the firmware or the software…I’m talking about the hardware. Are my factor pedals a first release/beta version/prototype ?  

      Then, just in case, how is possible to damage all the memories chips of all this 4 pedals ?

      I always used this stompboxes in studio with their original power supplies. Then I’ve buyed the Coicks’s PF (the brand new one)

      So, please let me know. Tomorrow I’ll try with the downgrade and I’ll let you know.

      Thank you for your time !

      All the best in music.

      Show More...

      Dario Vero

      Show Less...
    • #141411
      verodario
      Participant

      Hi Dan !!!

      Just downgraded my Tf machine.

      Sounds better. But unfortunately clicks are still in the feedback. 

      It’s a sort of digital clpi (but is not !! on the Pt meters everything goes ok).

      Especially when I stroke hard. (every peak is a issue)

      Anyway, with this downgrade the noises are 50% less then when I’ve mouned the5.2  frimware. So:

      1)For years no issues…now issues because of a software !?!?! Is that a joke !? 

      2) ok now I have less clicks, but…they still are in the delays (and when the dsp is on). 

      3) I’d like to have an upgradable machine !!! 

      Show More...

      4) before this upgrade everything was perfect.

      5) I made a phone call to Funky Junk. They say that for a pedal only it’s about 230 € more or less (with shipping) !!!!!! I hope this charge and all the repair will be yours !!! 

      6) I’d like to know, now or after you will fix/change the pedal, if I’ll be able to upraade all the other pedals ! As I said, I really want a regular pedal; not a “beta hardware” that is not updatable !!!

      Tomorrow I’ll do another test. I’ll switch on all the pedals at 9 ‘o’clock. Then at 2 P.M. I’ll start playing.

      Let see what will happen. Anyway, now it’s seems like a problem of the Time Factor only, not the others.

      Thank you in advance.

      Please let me know because tomorrow (evening Italy time) I’ll have to send you the pedal/s from Funky Junk Italy-Rome.

       

      Have a nice day.

       

      Dario Vero

       

      Show Less...
      • #141412
        gkellum
        Participant
        verodario wrote:

        Just downgraded my Tf machine.

        Sounds better. But unfortunately clicks are still in the feedback. 

        It's a sort of digital clpi (but is not !! on the Pt meters everything goes ok).

        Especially when I stroke hard. (every peak is a issue)

        Well, it sounds like you're just clipping the signal when you go into the TimeFactor.  If so, you'll want to make sure that the TimeFactor is set to expect a line level signal if you're sending it a line level signal, and if that's set correctly, you'll want to see if you can reduce the gain of the signal going into the TimeFactor.  But of course without a video showing the problem, we can only guess what the problem actually is.

        If you do want to send your TimeFactor in for us to take a look at, you'll need to write support@eventide.com for an RMA, or you could take it to Funky Junk.  If your TimeFactor is still under warranty, repairs are covered by the warranty.  Otherwise, Eventide just like every other electronic manufacturer charges a repair fee; you can ask support@eventide.com or the distributor what the fee is.

        Show More...

        I would suggest that you make an effort to determine whether your TimeFactor is just clipping before you send it in, because sending it in will be a waste of time if it's just clipping.

         

         

        Show Less...
      • #141415
        verodario
        Participant

        I’ve already sent a mail to support@eventide.com

        It was august…the first time. I resent it 5 or 6 days ago. So, please Dan, could you tell me how much is it ? Or maybe you could copy paste this comments and explain the situation to a member of EventideAudio-Support ?

        I tell you that because I don’t want to waiste my time ! 

        Thank you for your work.

        Let me know, if is possible.

        Have a nice day.

         

        Dario

        gkellum wrote:

        verodario wrote:

        Show More...

        Just downgraded my Tf machine.

        Sounds better. But unfortunately clicks are still in the feedback. 

        It’s a sort of digital clpi (but is not !! on the Pt meters everything goes ok).

        Especially when I stroke hard. (every peak is a issue)

        Well, it sounds like you’re just clipping the signal when you go into the TimeFactor.  If so, you’ll want to make sure that the TimeFactor is set to expect a line level signal if you’re sending it a line level signal, and if that’s set correctly, you’ll want to see if you can reduce the gain of the signal going into the TimeFactor.  But of course without a video showing the problem, we can only guess what the problem actually is.

        If you do want to send your TimeFactor in for us to take a look at, you’ll need to write support@eventide.com for an RMA, or you could take it to Funky Junk.  If your TimeFactor is still under warranty, repairs are covered by the warranty.  Otherwise, Eventide just like every other electronic manufacturer charges a repair fee; you can ask support@eventide.com or the distributor what the fee is.

        I would suggest that you make an effort to determine whether your TimeFactor is just clipping before you send it in, because sending it in will be a waste of time if it’s just clipping.

         

         

        Show Less...
    • #141414
      verodario
      Participant

      I’ve already sent a mail to support@eventide.com

      It was august…the first time. I resent it 5 or 6 days ago. So, please Dan, could you tell me how much is it ? Or maybe you could copy paste this comments and explain the situation to a member of EventideAudio-Support ?

      I tell you that because I don’t want to waiste my time ! 

      Thank you for your work.

      Let me know, if is possible.

      Have a nice day.

       

      Dario 

       

      Show More...
      Show Less...
    • #141418
      nickrose
      Moderator
      Eventide Staff

      Dario – a couple of thoughts.

      1) If you have trouble following an upgrade, re-initialize the unit as described in the UM.

      2) These products are guitar pedals, and can easily be overdriven if connected to a DAW or suchlike. It is your responsibility if using it as anything other than a guitar pedal to make sure that the levels are correct.

      3) It sounds like you have a complex setup that may well have its own problems. I myself suspect that there is nothing wrong with the pedals, and that the problem may well be how they are being used. If this is the case there is no point spending your time and money returning them.

      4) If you believe that the pedals are indeed faulty, it would be good if you can set them up in a simple way to prove this. Example: guitar – pedal – amp. My concern is that you will go to all the trouble to send them to us and we will find nothing wrong.

    • #141419
      verodario
      Participant

      Listen to this and tell me what do you think, onestly.

      I also use this pedal in send and return in my amp ! same orrible cracks !

      this is the audio : 

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DGDXzQvn68

       

      • #141445
        gkellum
        Participant
        verodario wrote:

        Listen to this and tell me what do you think, honestly.

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DGDXzQvn68

        That sounds pretty bad.  Is that just a guitar running into the TimeFactor running into an amp?  That could potentially be a problem with your TimeFactor's converters or with its memory, but it could also potentially be a problem with your set-up.  If it is a problem with the TimeFactor's converters or its memory, the TimeFactors self tests should be able to confirm that.  

        If you want to run the TimeFactors self tests, what you would need to do is connect its audio inputs to its outputs so that input 1 is connected to output 1 and input 2 is connected to output 2 and you would need to connect its MIDI input to its MIDI output.  Then it will be able to test its converters by doing loopback tests.  To start the tests, you turn your TimeFactor off and then turn it on again with the left footswitch pressed.  The display will say 01 TEST and will scroll to say TEST ALL.  If you press the algorithm selection encoder, that will start the tests.  The screen initially will say P0E0T0.  P is the number of passes.  E is the number of errors on the current test and T is the total number of errors.  There are about 20 tests, and if you just leave the TimeFactor running it will run these same 20 tests over and over again.  If you don't mind doing this, please let us know what the display says after your let the tests run for an hour or so.

      • #152577
        maxigtr
        Member
        gkellum wrote:
        verodario wrote:

        Listen to this and tell me what do you think, honestly.

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DGDXzQvn68

        That sounds pretty bad.  Is that just a guitar running into the TimeFactor running into an amp?  That could potentially be a problem with your TimeFactor's converters or with its memory, but it could also potentially be a problem with your set-up.  If it is a problem with the TimeFactor's converters or its memory, the TimeFactors self tests should be able to confirm that.  

        If you want to run the TimeFactors self tests, what you would need to do is connect its audio inputs to its outputs so that input 1 is connected to output 1 and input 2 is connected to output 2 and you would need to connect its MIDI input to its MIDI output.  Then it will be able to test its converters by doing loopback tests.  To start the tests, you turn your TimeFactor off and then turn it on again with the left footswitch pressed.  The display will say 01 TEST and will scroll to say TEST ALL.  If you press the algorithm selection encoder, that will start the tests.  The screen initially will say P0E0T0.  P is the number of passes.  E is the number of errors on the current test and T is the total number of errors.  There are about 20 tests, and if you just leave the TimeFactor running it will run these same 20 tests over and over again.  If you don't mind doing this, please let us know what the display says after your let the tests run for an hour or so.

        Show More...

        I have a problem of volume (too low in output 1 and higuera in output 2, bit not a good mix. Always 1 cable yo input and 1 yo output. Can i finde the problem with this test?

        Show Less...
    • #151682
      JCMFF
      Member

      Hi! My name is Julio and I´m from Brazil.

      I have the same problem in my Eventide Timefactor. 

      I alredy send an email from Support and I restore my pedal and the spikes and scretching still there.

      Someone can get help-me, please?

      Thanks!

      • #151683
        bohan
        Moderator
        Eventide Staff
        JCMFF wrote:

        I have the same problem in my Eventide Timefactor. 

        I alredy send an email from Support and I restore my pedal and the spikes and scretching still there.

        Please read through this thread and see if there is any info helpful to you. If you're sure it is TimFactor's problem and restoring the unit or reinstalling the software couldn't fix it, you may need to send it back to your dealer or to us.

      • #151684
        JCMFF
        Member
        bohan wrote:

        JCMFF wrote:

        I have the same problem in my Eventide Timefactor. 

        I alredy send an email from Support and I restore my pedal and the spikes and scretching still there.

        Please read through this thread and see if there is any info helpful to you. If you’re sure it is TimFactor’s problem and restoring the unit or reinstalling the software couldn’t fix it, you may need to send it back to your dealer or to us.

        Show More...

         

        Hi! I read the informations. I restore my unit and reinstalling the software. So, the problem is the hardware of the unit? Do you know which the problem?

        I noticed that issue beggining after a time to on the unit, about 5 or 10 minutes played with him. The spike looks like a clip on the signal.

        My cable and guitar is ok. I had another unit and don´t have no problem.

        If you can help me, I apreciate that!

        Show Less...
    • #152610
      nickrose
      Moderator
      Eventide Staff
      maxigtr wrote:
      Can i finde the problem with this test?

      Probably not. My guess is that the problem is somewhere in your setup, which this test cannot see.

      Try something easy – connect guitar-TF-amp (nothing else) and see if you have the same problem. If you do, rotate the cables (use different ones at each position) and try again.

      If you still have the problem, it's worth trying the self-test.

       

       

       

       

      Show More...
      Show Less...
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.