Locking up

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Locking up

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Arby82
      Participant

My H90 keeps locking up. It freezes to the point that none of the knobs or switches work. The display and lights on the unit stay in the state they were in when the unit froze. I then pull the power (I’m using the power supply that came with it) and plug it back in and it will boot up again, but it freezes almost immediately as soon as I start trying to manipulate any of the controls. I don’t know if it’s passing any audio or not because I’m neither sending any audio to it, nor listening to what’s coming out of it. I was just trying to learn the UI.

The only seemingly extenuating circumstance at play here is the fact that the unit has been on for about 6 hours. I powered it up and briefly tinkered with it this afternoon, then left it on with the screensaver showing. I came back to it 6 hours later to try and actually use it, but that’s when it started freezing. I thought it might be the preset I was working on, but after trying again several times and changing the preset, that doesn’t seem to be the case.

I’m really hoping I don’t have to ship this thing to NJ.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Please email support@eventide.com and they will take care of you ASAP in the morning.

Arby82
      Participant

Will do. Thanks, Joe.

Arby82
      Participant

I just wanted to circle back on this to say thanks!
      The support I received on this issue was commensurate with your reputation, which is to say it was absolutely first rate!

Thanks again.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about it. Enjoy your H90!

Bevo
      Participant

Hi

I’m having the same issue – Is there a known fix for this please?

Cheers

Boynigel
        Participant

for me it was updating the firmware a 2nd time.  even though i was completely up to date w/firmware, when i recovered via Recovery Mode, H90 Edit said i needed to update the firmware.  my particular freeze-up kicked me back to the firmware version it shipped with.  Then, when updating to the first of five firmware versions, it locked up right after trying (1.1.4 i believe).  It did this 4 times, so on the 5th try i said “screw it” and started with the 2nd firmware update along with all the others sequentially until i was updated to the latest version.  It’s been about 4-5 days now, and no more freeze-ups.  I’ve also done a bunch of power cycles to keep pushing/testing it.  so far, so good.

to be clear, my lockups were happening upon power up though, not while attempting to manipulate knobs/settings, like the OP.

Cambo IV
      Participant

And me, too!

Bevo
      Participant

Thanks Boynigel

I’ve been trying that out – But brand new unit for me, no recovery.

Still very unstable…can’t get longer than 10 mins out of the unit and can’t sequentially update the firmware cause it keeps timing out during the process.

But I appreciate your post to try help out.

I’ve emailed support – Hopefully they can explain what’s happening.

Cheers

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff

For anybody experiencing issues similar to this, you should first try updating your H90 to the latest firmware using Recovery Mode. It is not necessary to sequentially update through every firmware release, you should always update to the latest release.

Instructions for Recovery Mode can be found here: https://cdn.eventideaudio.com/manuals/h90/1.5.2/content/appendix/startup.html#recovery-mode

If that doesn’t work, please email support@eventide.com and let them know what you’ve tried.

steveirish72
      Participant

Hi, I’m also having a problem with my H90 locking up. It just did it and made a high pitched tone when it did it.  It was working for a good period of time and has picked up in the frequency of the crashes.  I had previously had problems with the app and saw the threads in regards to that. I did the recovery and put on the last firmware twice.  Should I be factory resetting it?  I really do like it and hope that it is ok.

thanks

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

Sorry you are experiencing issues, steveirish72. Since you’ve already attempted the update in recovery mode, it’s best to email support@eventide.com to resolve this as quickly as possible. Let them know what you’ve tried.

Boynigel
        Participant

i was having problems w/mine locking up too (see my post above), and it did take a few update attempts but it finally settled in.  it’s been over two months now with not so much as a hiccup.  been using it for hours at a time almost every day.  rock solid.  tbskolund’s advice probably would have saved me a few initial (failed) attempts to fix it, but i got it figured out shortly before he posted.  i wouldn’t despair just yet.  seems once you get it debugged, it’ll stay that way.

shawnmh
      Participant

My H90 just locked up at startup, restarting it doesn’t do anything, it’s still locked.

I have only had this for a 10 days, and only used it for a few times, – very cautiously and curiously.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      shawnmh
      Participant

Factory Reset is not working, and Recovery is not working.

Windows 10 Pro is identifying the H90 as a drive now. It keeps popping up W10 messages during each recovery try.

There’s a very small window of opportunity/time I have to get the app to “see” my H90 in Recovery mode, and actually get to the point of seeing the firmware versions listed. The H90 Control app says it has “timed out” more often than not.

After trying 3 different firmware(s) to recover/reload, each time it cannot complete, due to not being able to back-up the installed firmware.

“H90 Control.exe-Corrupt File
                 The file or directory \h90-1.7.1.os is corrupt and unreadable.
                 Please run the Chkdsk utility.”

Not off to a very good or encouraging start with this product, though I had certainly thought so before it froze and bricked itself. My faith in its reliability, is already gone.

I have pressed the Reset and Recovery key patterns so many times my hand hurts by now, and of course it’s the weekend plus MLK Day holiday on Monday…

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
        tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Sorry to hear you are having issues. I just responded to your support ticket, we can troubleshoot the issue further there.

shawnmh
      Participant

Sorry to hear you are having issues. I just responded to your support ticket, we can troubleshoot the issue further there.

Thanks for the email and help on a Sunday, it has solved the issue.

It seems my antivirus/security suite may have had an effect on my earlier tries at recovery.

<span style=”font-size: inherit;”>I would have had no idea the H90 shows up as a drive in Windows/PC, if it wasn’t for the freeze-up issue. My Axe FX II doesn’t do that, and it has an app/preset storage etc.</span>

I had actually tried the scan-disk (H90) and repair before, but I just kept having a hard time getting the app to see the H90. And then when I finally did, I couldn’t get a (any) firmware to stick.

Anyhow, thanks again Tyler!

The recovery/firmware reinstall worked, so this is SOLVED.

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Thanks for the update! Happy to help.

mudderfish
      Participant

Hi, my H90 is all lite up and frozen now. Recovery is not working. I tried to put a ticket in too but that is not working for me either. grrrr

“H90 Control.exe-Corrupt File
      The file or directory \h90-1.7.1.os is corrupt and unreadable.

Please run the Chkdsk utility.”

mudderfish
      Participant

I think I was able to get a ticket submitted now.

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

I don’t see any support tickets from the email address associated with your account. After email support@eventide.com, you should receive a confirmation email from us. Please confirm if you’ve received this, and if not, please try emailing again. Perhaps try using a different email address.

mudderfish
      Participant

I did receive a confirmation email this time. Thank you!

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

You’re welcome. I see the ticket now. We’ll get this take care of ASAP.

Monkey Death Rocket
      Participant

Thanks for the email and help on a Sunday, it has solved the issue. It seems my antivirus/security suite may have had an effect on my earlier tries at recovery. <span style=”font-size: inherit;”>I would have had no idea the H90 shows up as a drive in Windows/PC, if it wasn’t for the freeze-up issue. My Axe FX II doesn’t do that, and it has an app/preset storage etc.</span> I had actually tried the scan-disk (H90) and repair before, but I just kept having a hard time getting the app to see the H90. And then when I finally did, I couldn’t get a (any) firmware to stick. Anyhow, thanks again Tyler! The recovery/firmware reinstall worked, so this is SOLVED.

This post, thank you, got mine working again.  I had the same issue, error checked and repaired the disk, back in action now!

joCCe
      Participant

Mine locked up too and none of the suggested methods of getting it fixed works… The unit is hardly used and never gigged.

I’ve tried to connect it to both a pc and mac and some times it gets connected, but looses the connection after a short time. Firmware update is not possible. It freezes during the backup of the unit firmware. Recovery mode acts identical.

Factory reset works sometimes, but the unit locks up again as soon as I press or rotate any knobs.

Since I bought it slightly used from a local guy, I don’t even have the chance to get it fixed under warranty, even if it’s still under warranty. Warranty only applies to the original buyer and does not follow the product.

Bummed

Monkey Death Rocket
        Participant

On a pc, while it is connected, are you able to see it as en external drive?  for me the trick was hitting properties then doing the check and repair option.  That is what allowed me to update.

joCCe
        Participant

Thanks for the tip

I do see it and I tried the check and repair, but it didn’t work. It disconnected after about 30 sec

RepairH90

Monkey Death Rocket
        Participant

Bummer.  sorry, hopefully someone else will have seen this before and be able to chime in.

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Sorry for the issues you are having. When you say “It freezes during the backup of the unit firmware.”, are you getting an error message in H90 Control?

Please carefully follow the directions below:

• Connect your H90 to your computer via USB
        • Boot the pedal into Recovery Mode
        • You should see a folder on your desktop labeled “H90 Pedal”
        • Delete the contents of that folder
        • Empty your computer’s trashcan
        • Open H90 Control and use Recovery Mode to update to the latest firmware version

Let me know what happens.

joCCe
      Participant

Sorry for the issues you are having. When you say “It freezes during the backup of the unit firmware.”, are you getting an error message in H90 Control? Please carefully follow the directions below:

• Connect your H90 to your computer via USB
      • Boot the pedal into Recovery Mode
      • You should see a folder on your desktop labeled “H90 Pedal”
      • Delete the contents of that folder
      • Empty your computer’s trashcan
      • Open H90 Control and use Recovery Mode to update to the latest firmware version

Let me know what happens.

Thanks for your reply

Regarding step #3 – You should see a folder on your desktop labeled “H90 Pedal”. I don’t see any folder on my desktop, however I can se the contents of the H90 as a drive. Should I delete these files and folders?

H90Drive

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Yes, by “folder” I meant a drive that shows up as “H90 Pedal”. Sorry for the confusion.

Please delete all those files, empty your computer’s trashcan, and try a recovery mode update again using H90 Control.

joCCe
      Participant

Yes, by “folder” I meant a drive that shows up as “H90 Pedal”. Sorry for the confusion. Please delete all those files, empty your computer’s trashcan, and try a recovery mode update again using H90 Control.

Thanks,

I followed your instructions and it all went well until the unit got stuck with the message “Finishing up…” on the display. While that message was diplaying, I saw that the H90 no longer was visible as a drive on my pc. I waited a couple of minutes and powered it off and on and I got the black screen with all knobs / switches lit.

Tried to connect it once more in recovery mode and I could see the newly installed firmware files on the H90 drive. I attempted to delete the files once more, to give it another go, but this time the connection broke while trying to delete them, so no luck on that one.

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Sorry to hear you are still having issues. Can you please email support@eventide.com and I can help you further there?

joCCe
      Participant

I’m just chiming in for an update on the issues I had with my H90.

Eventide support tried to resolve the issue with me, but concluded that the pedal had some issues that needed further investigations. So.. they decided to contact the distributor in my country to arrange for my pedal to be replaced with a new one. I did not expect that, but I’m very happy that they did. That saved me the hassle of sending it to US for a repair and a lot of customs paper work.

Kudos and lots of thanks to the excellent Eventide support team!

joCCe

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Thanks for following up. Sorry for the inconvenience with your unit that was having issues.

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.