Looking for help (chaining stompboxes)

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Looking for help (chaining stompboxes)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      hawkbyte

Hello, 

I am having trouble with something I probably shouldn’t be having trouble with. I’ve owned a Space stompbox for a while and a few days ago I added a TimeFactor. However, whenever I try to pass a signal from one box to the other I don’t get any sound/ouput.

Both boxes have been restored to factoy presets and then updated to the most recent firmware. I have verified that the cables I am using are in working order, and I have verified that the inputs and outputs of both boxes work. The second I run the output of one box through the input of the other box I stop getting sound. 

The signal path I am using is: signal from modular synth into TimeFactor Input 1 (mono), TimeFactor Output 1 (mono) into Space Input 1 (mono), Space Output 1 (mono) into desktop amp or audio interface. Again, I am using the same cables into and out of the boxes when I get sound, but the second I drop a second box into the order I no longer get sound.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Am I overlooking something simple? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

gkellum
      Participant

Well, one place where users sometimes go wrong is they go into input 2 of one of the stompboxes with a mono signal.  It would be worth double checking that you are really going into input 1 of both and out output 1.  That's the only thing that occurs to me offhand.

So, just to be sure, you've tested the Space alone in this set-up and the TimeFactor alone in this set-up, and both work alone?  It's only when you route one into the other?  If so, then that eliminates some other possibilities.

hawkbyte

Yes, using the same path (cables, signal source, final amplification) the two boxes work perfectly. It’s only when I drop a second pedal into the chain that I stop getting sound.

hawkbyte

Has anyone else experienced this? I am using mono cable for the entire signal path, and ensuring that I am using coordinating inputs and outputs (e.g. Input 1 and Output 1 to Input 1 and Output 1 of the second box).

Is it appropriate to route the signal from the first box directly to the second box? Does the signal need amplification at this point? What sort of amplification does that signal need once it has passed through two boxes? Could the amp that is driving the monitors be underpowered? I’m grasping at straws here.

The only thing left to consider is whether it has to do with the adapters I am using for the mono cables. I am using two 1/8″ to 1/4″ mono adapters becuase two of the cables are 1/8″ on one end and 1/4″ on the other. The cables and adapters are definitely mono (TS).

gkellum
        Participant
        hawkbyte wrote:

Is it appropriate to route the signal from the first box directly to the second box? Does the signal need amplification at this point? What sort of amplification does that signal need once it has passed through two boxes? Could the amp that is driving the monitors be underpowered? I'm grasping at straws here.

Yes, it's appropriate to route the signal from the first box directly to the second box.  People do this all the time, and you shouldn't need any sort of amplification or other signal alterations between the two boxes.

hawkbyte wrote:

The only thing left to consider is whether it has to do with the adapters I am using for the mono cables. I am using two 1/8" to 1/4" mono adapters becuase two of the cables are 1/8" on one end and 1/4" on the other. 

Oh, you should definitely try other cables.

hawkbyte

I’ll grab a set of new cables, but the thing that confuses me is these same cables produce good sound when used on one or the other box. I just can’t get a signal to pass through the second box for some reason. sad

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.