Looper dub quantize

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Looper dub quantize

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      cormallen
      Participant

Hi there.

I've just spent a very enjoyable couple of hours playing with the new H9 looper.  I'd love one small addition, though: quantised dubbing.

The dub mode control currently has LATCH, PUNCH, REPL-LATCH and REPL-PUNCH.  Quantised dub could be added by providing four more: QLATCH, QPUNCH and so forth.  Then the dub start and dub stop points would be quantised in the same manner as the other quantised functions.

(The mode I'm particularly interested in myself would QREPL-PUNCH: one quick tap of the footswitches would replace the next beat's worth of loop.  This would be a brilliant way of building up interesting or downright bizarre rhythmic loops).

Bodde
      Participant

Yes, great suggestion! 

That's one thing I would like to have in looper as well. dubbing/replace quantize in specific note lengths like 1/16, 1/8 or 1/4. That would really enhance the creative uses for the replace.

Also one thing I miss is punch record. This way you can make really short stutter loops like the Echoplex looper. I use this in Mobius

coirbidh_99
      Participant

By "punch record," are you talking about the EDP's RecordMode=SUS setting?  One way you could kinda/sorta mimic that effect is to preset the Looper's loop length to an extremely short time/tempo value in AP:LOOP mode, so that pressing Record captures a short snippet of audio.  I've actually been contemplating this approach as a way to mimic the granular-looping sounds of the Hexe Revolver.

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

Thanks guys, good suggestions!  

Regarding the punch record to make stutter loops.  You should be able to do this with punch dubbing.  Just record an initial silent section, play the silent loop, then quickly step on and off the left footswitch to dub (make sure it's in PUNCH mode).  This should give you some good stutters. 

Bodde
      Participant

@Coirbidh: yes that's exactly what I am talking about! The SUS record function of the Echoplex let's you record the initial loop only when you hold the switch. Which makes up for some ultra short stutter. Having the press the  switch twice is not working good for that.

Funny that you mention the Hexe Revolver. I also own that one and use it for that purpose. The short stutter loops.

Have replace quantize function would be very nice to get sequens type loops like like the Looperlative minilooper.

brock
      Participant

coirbidh_99:

By "punch record," are you talking about the EDP's RecordMode=SUS setting?  One way you could kinda/sorta mimic that effect is to preset the Looper's loop length to an extremely short time/tempo value in AP:LOOP mode, so that pressing Record captures a short snippet of audio.  I've actually been contemplating this approach as a way to mimic the granular-looping sounds of the Hexe Revolver.

That produces some nice effects in Play mode, too.  Record longer loops – trim with Play Start – then adjust the Play Length from stutters through amplitude modulation effects.  Insanely versatile when you start folding in some Playback Resolution and Speed changes.

coirbidh_99
      Participant

The solution that I suggested, using a preset very short loop length, only requires one button press – in AP:LOOP playback mode, the Looper will terminate recording and start looping automatically when it reaches the end of the loop length.  It obviously doesn't allow the same flexibility in loop length that the Echoplex's SUS feature does, but if you're glitching for effect then an arbitrarily-short loop length ought to suit.  If you need a tempo-locked glitch, use TEMPO mode and set it for a very small note value.  Quantized dubbing would be nice – I've asked for that feature before, in fact – but I think it logically follows the features we're already getting, so I'm not too stressed about not having it already.

Bodde
      Participant

Using a very short preset loop lenght with the H9 is quite different than the SUS rec in the Echoplex or the recording of the Hexe Revolver. Biggest difference is that the H9 will go into dub mode after you press the left footswitch when you are in play mode. You can not immediate record a new fresh loop like you can with the Hexe. You have to empty the loop first which makes it much less flexible and practical for those glitch loops.

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

bodde:

You can not immediate record a new fresh loop like you can with the Hexe. 

I have to point out that while the H9 button interface is admittedly limited (only 2 buttons), the H9 Looper is essentially the Timefactor Looper under the hood.  Thus, it does allow you to record a new loop at any time, even when not empty.  This functionality can easily be utilized on H9 via the H9 Control Record button, or an Aux Switch /  MIDI CC assigned to REC.  

Bodde
      Participant

Ok, good to know. I don't own an AUX switch. But will look into it. I think it is already very nice that you can do so much with the two knobs of the H9. But three knobs will obviously make it more versatile.

coirbidh_99
      Participant

You can get around the need to empty the loop if you set the Dubbing mode to REPL-P – just hold down the Record footswitch to overwrite the existing loop with new signal.  Again, it's not quite the SUS feature, but it's a tolerable approximation.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.