Lovin’ the new firmare!! Got an idea for next one!

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Lovin’ the new firmare!! Got an idea for next one!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      funkyfoe1
      Participant

Being able to name presets is great!! Can't wait for that software editor!!

It's so amazing to have a pedal that gets better and better! A lot  of other companies have the ability to create new sounds/features via firmware updates but never seem to actually do it. Thanks Eventide!!!!!!!!!!

So I was wondering….for a future update. The ability to change the footswitch function per patch would be so brilliant. Is there any possibility of this happening??

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Thanks for the kind words. But, ….

We're kind of reluctant to change things on a preset by preset basis, cos it then gets very hard to remember what's going to happen. I think it would be too confusing, on what is already a complex box. But, if thousands of people ask for it …

grozeil

Two persons now.. 998 left! 🙂

jazzgear
      Participant

He said thousand(s), not one thousand…so technically 1,998 to go (at a minimum)

jarred

I'm pumped about V3 also!  I think I might be even more pumped about that software editor though.  I need it really bad for what I am doing!

funkyfoe1
      Participant

Agreed, the editor will be really great for giggers…putting presets in setlist order! I've been waiting for this one! Has anyone said when it's coming?

stringrazor

ABSOLUTELY! I was sorely disappointed when I found the footswitch and aux pedal settings were global. They need to be customizable per patch. It's ridiculous to think that users who can learn the complexities of the effects structure and patch programming requirements of these pedals couldn't handle the additional flexibility of having the external switch settings be per patch. 

funkyfoe1
      Participant

Well put. I was thinking the same thing.

timothyhill

Just curious, but what would you guys use this for? I'm not trying to disrespect anyone's opinions or ideas, but for me, this wouldn't be very useful. The expression pedal is customizable per-preset and that gives me everything I need. I'm using the pedal switches in preset mode and the aux switches for the bank down, tap tempo (tuner on PF), and hold/flex/brake. Those are things I want to be global, and while I could see using an ext switch to toggle between 2 settings, that's what I use the exp pedal for.

Maybe if someone could suggest what they'd use this for, why they want it, maybe it would give ET a reason to look into this further.

Sorry I'm not on the popular side here, but (and no disrepect to anyone intended)… -1

funkyfoe1
      Participant

Well, right off the bat, lets say you have one of your presets set to looper. It would be nice to use the aux switches to control it, i.e., play/stop . If you have your switches set to 'bank down' and 'tap' it renders the looper useless (unless you take it out of preset mode). Maybe the exp. pedal could control these functions. I don't know, I don't use one….maybe I should. Also, I really like the 'hold' function and I can't use it with the way I have my footswitches set up ( 'bank down' and 'tap' ).On certain tunes it would be nice to say, for go the the 'tap' and use that switch for 'hold' instead'. Maybe all these issues could be solved if I just got an expression pedal…???

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Not sure that I understand. You can use the AUX switches to control the looper (UM p.33).  Maybe you are trying to use the switches for other functions which are incompatible with looper control- in this case you may need to go MIDI.

An expression pedal is a useful adjunct to our pedals, but may not help you in this particular situation.

timothyhill

Actually, on the TF, you can already set the aux switches to control play/stop/rec when using the looper and tap/hold/bank-down when using other effects. In this regard, the aux switches already do what you want them to do. How to set this up is on page 35 of the manual.

Are you using a single aux switch, or a double or triple? The Factors work with any of those combinations. With a triple switch, you can have hold and tap and bank-down, and play/stop/rec when using the looper.

Again, I'm not trying to be argumentative… just playing devil's advocate. It's entirely possible that I'm the one who's missing something here, and if so, finding out what that is might give me some new ideas.

And yeah, if you haven't tried an exp pedal with any of the Factor pedals, if you have a chance to, I'd highly recommend it. It triples the effective number of presets (saved setting, pedal down, and pedal up – for each preset) and all the effects are just so much more expressive, especially the PF & MF. Adding the exp pedal was what really got me addicted to the Factors, it's just so much better.

funkyfoe1
      Participant

Sorry for not being clear….I understand that the aux switches can perform a multitude of tasks. 

In live performances, I use the aux switches for 'bank down and 'tap'. If I go to a preset that is utilizing the looper function ,the aux switches are still 'bank down' and 'tap'. These functions are not at all useful with the looper. 

It would be nice if ,when I go to to a preset  utilizing the looper funtion, the function of the aux switches would change also. 

I suppose I could just bend down and switch it out of 'bank mode'. Its just that, in a live setting, it's not too cool to squat down and make adjustments on stage. IMO

Another example, let's say  on one tune I'm using the tap function. On the next tune I want to use the hold function. Again, It would be nice if the function could change with the preset…

Maybe I could fix all of these little issues if I just got a 3 button footswitch an expression pedal eh?

funkyfoe1
      Participant

Yeah, I guess that's what I need to do. Get a 3 button switch and a expression pedal. It sucks cause I already have 2 expls (M-audio and Moog) but neither work! What pedal are you using?

BTW ,thanks for you're input

brock
      Participant

I'm thinking of the knob assignments (KB0-KB9) in the context of the PitchFactor as I write this.  I use an expression pedal, 3-way aux switches, and various MIDI devices to control the PF.

With the variety of the algorithms available, global aux switch settings will rarely line up in a useful way across presets.  If the MIN VAL and MAX VAL limits are utilized, it can become even more problematic.  For example, KB8 & KB9 with control feedback in a Diatonic preset, and control intervals in a Quadravox algo.  Then kick in a Synthonizer preset, and …  you get the idea.

I would describe an expression pedal input like I would a fretboard glide or string bend.  Smooth, "analog", and hitting every intermediate value.  Using the aux switches is more like a hammer-on, or pulloff.  Discrete, "digital" (forgive the pun), with an immediate "snap" between values.  Both approaches have their strong points.

Again in the Pitchfactor, I find a lot of uses for that immediate snap-to-value.  Simulated chord changes / pedal steel, instant key / interval changes, instantaneous shift in delay values, jumping among Harpeggiator patterns, etc.  In these situations, gliding through several "in-between" values throws off the timing and desired effect.

Consider assigning multiple parameters to each available aux switch.  (I know, I know.  The manual states that " doing so is likely to cause confusion and is not recommended.").  Start at the lower parameters, toward KB0, and work up sequentially to KB9.  The highest parameter programmed is the one that will be displayed when you step on the multi-assigned aux switch.

Some parameters may have 7 intermediate values between "targets"; other two, or five. If an expression pedal is used, a halfway position between heel & toe will be different for each assigned parameter.  Sometimes, that's a good thing (morphing).  Other times, it may be more appropriate to jump all assignments straight to the destination values (chord changes).

All that said, I'm not a diehard advocate of per-preset assignments, especially if it burns up precious memory that can be utilized elsewhere.  My workaround has been to program companion presets in a MIDI switch/pedalboard, and send CC messages to accomplish the same goals.

Of course, if Eventide doesn't have another use for those "extra" 28 slots that are accessible via program changes, but not the front panel … Wink

timothyhill

You don't have to have a 3-button switch, specifically. You can still get a dual footswitch to control different functions in looper mode. Nick mentioned the section starts on UM p33 and the specific settings are at the top of p35. That's either the printed manual or the download PDF version in the documentation section of the TF page. All that being said, from what you've said, I think a 3-button footswitch would fit your needs better than your current 2-button. Just as long as the switches are momentary, not latched.

I'm using an Ernie Ball VP Jr. 25k, although I've used several others, including a dirt cheap plastic toy that I picked up new for $20 as an experiment 10 years ago. Most should work, though, and although I don't own them, I have seen others use both M-Audio and Moog volume pedals successfully.

Please note that they don't connect like most expression pedals. Instead, use a standard 1/4" mono guitar cable and connect to the instrument output on the volume pedal, not the input or a dedicated expression output. Eventide set it up this way because it works with almost any volume pedal, not just specialized expression pedals. Ideally, the volume pedal should be 25k, although I've seen 250k and 500k pedals work (the taper isn't as smooth though).

And you're welcome. I just hope that maybe some of this will help you get your TF working the way you want it to now, instead of having to talk ET into changing the way it works and then waiting for a software update.

timothyhill

brock, excellent points! I agree, if I were doing things like that, I would choose to have a setup similar to yours, using MIDI CC to change parameter values.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.