M Audio Expression pedal doesn’t work

Home Forums Products Stompboxes M Audio Expression pedal doesn’t work

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      dslee
      Participant

Hi, I have all four stompboxes, and went to some trouble to track down an M Audio Expression Pedal, the same as is featured in the YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFBefdw3Zss). It has a switch underneath saying “M audio <–> Other”. I have tried on ALL four stomboxes (software up to date) plugging in, powering up in either pedal switch setting (M Audio, Other). It doesn’t work. The input jack from the expression pedal is exactly the same as Alan Chaput can be seen plugging in, in the video, a TRS jack.

What I have noticed, is that if I gently withdraw the TRS jack some 3-4 mm, it starts to work, and the assigned parameter changes on the screen. The same happens on all four stompboxes. I have tried every combination in the system menu of assigning tip, ring, tip plus ring, deassigning. Nothing works. BUT, I can see that the pedal will change the assigned parameter if I gentlywithdraw the jack.

I’d love to know what I am doing wrong!! It is extremely frustrating.

Thanks, David

LA Keys
      Participant

First, the only thing you really have to do is to set “Use expression pedal, Aux switch, or both” to expression pedal. (Or “both”, if you’re using switches + pedal). This is under “general settings” in the “pedal” menu of the H9 control software.

Then the tip, ring, tip plus ring assigment has nothing to do with the expression pedal. It is for the auxiliary switches.

LA

dslee
      Participant

Thanks LA!!

I don’t have the H9, but have installed H9 controller software on Mac v5.0.0[4] and not really used it. OK, plugged Mac into ModFactor via USB. Software seems to control it, i.e. it ‘sees’ the stompbox and I can change the effects.

I go to ‘Pedal’ icon at next but one far bottom right corner; ‘General Settings’ is top bar and press that; what I see next is ‘Bypass’, ‘Bypass Mode’, ‘Kill Dry Audio’, Global Tempo’, ‘Pedal Lock’, “Pedal Calibration Disabled’, ‘Knob Mode’, ‘Source Instrument’, ‘Show LFO on Display’ and ‘Bank Range’

So I don’t see “Use expression pedal, Aux switch, or both”.. Sorry! Am in the wrong place?

best, David

LA Keys
      Participant

Humm, it appear that we don’t have the same menu items??? (Some are the same so you should be at the right place)…

I’m using H9 control software v 2.1.0  (Go to settings -> about). I didn’t update to the latest version (2.2) but maybe you have an older version ???

LA

dslee
      Participant

Thanks again!

I’m on a Mac – are you? Settings, About, gives me v2.1.1

best, David

LA Keys
      Participant

I’m on a PC, but I think this is not the problem.

I first tought that you had an H9… I’m not sure you have the same menu for the ModFactor since it has different features. I’ve had a look at the modfactor manual and saw that the procedure is explained at page 20. It says somewhere that “you must turn the knob to create the assigment”…

At this point I think you should download the modfactor manual and try with the procedure explained there. This doesn’t require the H9 Control software.

LA

LA Keys
      Participant

I’m thinking…

If you can change the parameters from the H9 Control software you may also be able to use it to “program” your expression pedal.

I suggest that you donload the H9 Control software manual and have a look at page 14. This does explain how to program the “light rings” for the knobs, thus how to set the range controlled by the expression pedal. This is probably much easier than setting this directly on the pedal.

LA

dslee
      Participant

Thanks LA…nope, no H9 hardware, ‘just’ the original stomboxes 🙂

I’m afraid, that’s where I started – in the manual. Unfortunately, the stuff on page 20 just doesn’t work, BUT, if I partially pull out the expression pedal jack, it all works (green light next to effect flashes, parameter values change). The M Audio pedal is new, and this happens on all of the stompboxes, so it’s not a hardware error. Trouble is, I can’t even leave the jack partially out (obviously unsatisfactory in itself), as it’s a delicate balance for the jack to be in exactly the right place. This is why I think it has to do with something over the TRS designations (tho take your point, I was previously fiddling with something that related to an external switch). I’m baffled. The expression pedal is exactly the same, even down to the TRS jack, as the one Alan C plugs into one in the YouTube tutorial…aaagh!

But many thanks for trying to help, LA! Much appreciated! Best, David

LA Keys
      Participant

Well,

Given that you tried just about everything and that you had some “response” while playing with the jack it seems to me that you may just have a defective expression pedal…

sad

LA

dslee
      Participant

That seems like a logical conclusion.. 🙁 Tho annoying, as bought new, and the Audio M expression pedal took some tracking down as a ‘recommended’ one by Eventide!

I guess best way is to take one of the Stomboxes to a shop, and get them to sell me an expression pedal but I insist that they demonstrate that it works! I’ll have one last fiddle, looking at the H9 controller manual, tho!

Thanks again! David (but interested if anyone else thinks they can fix me up! 🙂 )

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You say "if I gently withdraw the TRS jack some 3-4 mm, it starts to work" – this suggests a bad plug, cable or socket.

You also say "I don't see "Use expression pedal, Aux switch, or both" – this only applies to H9. The Factors have separate Exp and Aux sockets, so on your MF you don't need to make this choice.

dslee
      Participant

Thanks Nick – well, that clears up the H9 control software mystery!

It seems unlikely that this is a bad socket, as this occurs on all 4 stompboxes. It doesn’t seem to be a ‘cable waggle’ issue; could it be that the original moulded jack is wired wrong, or badly??

I’m reasonably handy with a soldering iron, so a next cheap step might be to refit the expression pedal with a new stereo (TRS) jack…

Thanks! David

PS, whilst you’re on…I’m intrigued – it it possible to control more than one stombox at a time with the H9 controller software, with a single USB cable, by connecting subsequent stomboxes to each other with midi cables?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.