Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) support. Any News?

Home Forums Products Rackmount Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) support. Any News?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      Sonic Nomad
      Participant

Hi,

Any news on the "forthcoming"  Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) support?

Will this be released and if so is the any timeline?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Still on course for the end of the month.

There is a possibility of about a week's delay to incorporate some late breaking improvements.

Sonic Nomad
      Participant

This is good news.

Don't suppose there's a OS update coming soon for the H8000 FW as well?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

There will be an OS update to support the new drivers, but it will not have significant extra functionality.

What would you be looking for in a new OS ?

Sonic Nomad
      Participant

Well several SP2016 presets would be great! Big Smile
      And a killer reverb that works well with say pizzicato string instruments.

On a more serious note though nothing really for the OS.
      But an up to date OS X VSIG app and OS X Routing App would be very welcome.

IDeangelis

Nomad

SP2016 verbs are a secret even to us! You can try any mid size verb without any modulation…as a rough start….

Verbs for pizzicato…. the trick here is to have short (few ms.) or no predelay and a moderate size, to avoid hearing reflections in the tail. Couple of seconds decay…..you can try many verbs on your unit.

best

I

Sonic Nomad
      Participant

Italo,
      Thanks for the handy tips.

I so suck at tweaking Reverbs!

Sonic Nomad
      Participant

Come to think of it a cool OS feature I'd like to seewould allow the user to select four effects and combine them into one "Multiple Machine" preset. 

So if I'm about to mix a song and I'd like a plate verb on i/o 1&2, a room verb on i/o 3&4, a mod delay on i/o 5&6 and a hall verb on i/o 7&8. or any other combination. 

A series mode would also be great to allow several presets to be placed after each other to quickly create a custom "Multi Effect". 

Having this feature as a sort of "wizard" to help create these custom presets out of existing ones would definitely take take the H8000 to the next level for me. As this would help me stay in the creative flow. 

Hope you understand this.

IDeangelis

Ok…so try these steps:

-if the verb preset offers diffusion and reverb, cut the verb level to lowest setting and only tweak diffusion. Many reverbs have diffusion in series AND parallel to verb, so cutting the verb will still make you hear the room. If diffusion is only in series to verb, you'll hear nothing…then raise verb level and lower its decay to about 0.1 sec. Notice how diffusion size makes the walls closer or more distant and diffusion itself will smear reflections or make them distinctly audible, provided some generous milliseconds settings for the diffusor delays.

Once the room is up to your liking…. move on to the verb! Add decay amount just about your taste. Verb size can make the ambience wider/bigger or smaller…like stretching the reverberant space about the audio source.

Last..BUT VERY important is eq!  Long time ago some quality researches in natural reverberant spaces supported the evidence of no frequency above 4000 Hz in a verb. You can try this…or you can try anything else you may like, depending on what you feed to the verb. Cutting some low end may help with bass_ish sources and pianos.

After years of work with these structures I have come to the conclusion that there is no verb if diffusors are not properly and realistic_ally tweaked. That's where the space is made.

As Sun Ra used to say: "SPACE IS THE PLACE!"

Tweak on, man!

;-))

I

IDeangelis

Ok! All of tis is already in your H8000, Nomad.

I created a few banks (w/lots of presets in them) just for this. check Bank 10 DUAL MACHINES and Bank 32 MULTIPLE MACHINES.

The first has presets with 2 stereo FX in each. These are very complete and extended fx, not just…a chorus!

The second bank has presets with 3 or 4 or 2 stereo and 2 mono fx in each.

Given the proper routing and interface with your recording rig…you got it!

Then…if you set a series routing in the H8000, you can load any 2 of these presets (unless they are monolithic!!!) and have a series processing of A > B.

To create a MACRO, that is a ROUTING+2 PRESETS loaded at the same time, you can first create and store your Routing(s), then load one you need, load the presets you like…THEN store a new SETUP. The unit will ask you if you want to store the 2 presets too..to be reloaded when the SETUP is recalled.

Isn't this a style of life?

😉

I

Sonic Nomad
      Participant

Wow.. Italo, I just learn't more from your little explanation than from all the articles in magazines and other sources. Thanks again.

I'll post my feature request for a Multi Machine (parallel) & Multi Effects (series) Wizard in another thread in the hope that it won't get lost.

Sonic Nomad
      Participant

Italo,

Using ADAT i/o I often use my Eventide H8000 as a virtual rack of four "hi end" effect units with Preset 3218 Virtual Rack 1 a lot with the H3000 dual Shift, 2290 TT
      1210 st chrs/flanger & PCM70 Hall but what if say I  wanted to replace the 1210 with a plate verb and the PCM 70 with another Hall type or even with something totally different. Short of having to use VSIG to do this. I pretty shure that Eventide users would like to be able to just select a different preset for that "slot" with just few key strokes from the unit itself.

I understand the logic behind the macro of routing and 2 presets but it's just not the same.

Also I can understand that as a featur request it might be quite a daunting task to implement and/or just add without a possible re-write but who knows.

Perhaps a simple software application could do this?

Does anyone else feel this could be a useful feature?

IDeangelis

Yeah! That's something we discussed long time ago.

It would take a new architecture (and probably platform) with 4DSPs, to keep fx size and quality as they are now. Having then SLOTS where one could load any of these single FX would make the final trick. It's definitely a very useful and quickway to work, I agree.

Ah the future!

😉

I

Sonic Nomad
      Participant

Yeah, should have thought about the fx size issue… hmmm

Gives a reason to be excited about the H16000 FW Geeked 

ThreeFingersOfLove
      Participant

Italo,

thanks a lot for sharing your tips on reverb design! Maybe we should compile them to some document. I'd like to send a reverb based on nested all-pass filters. It's called "Gardener reverb" – but maybe the H-8000 has it already.. 🙁

Regards,
      Yannis

IDeangelis

Reverb tweaking <> Reverb design

2 very different things!

Attachments have been enabled. You should be able to post a description of the algorithm and attach the sigfiles using the OPTIONS tab 8check at the bottom of this tab, when opened).

Enabled attachments are files of max 256k,  with the following extensions:

zip cab jpg gif png mpg mpeg avi wmv wma mp3 ra rar rm sql txt sif sig

please try!

Best

I

SPOTS

Was it not the way the Ensoniq DSP4 was working?
      You had different possible scenarios of inputs/outputs, size of FX, signal routing (series/parallel) and choose anything from the preset library that fit your need.

IDeangelis

Yes…BUT there are a number of BIG differences:

using multiple FX slots severly impact/diminishes the size and quality of fx on the DP4.

Eventide uses a true open platform, so each FX is a dynamic entity in terms of amount of DSP and System resources used by it. To really keep quality at max, without compromise and "shrunk_down" fx versions, you'd have to use slots that correspond to DSPs.

The point is that if today you like 4 of those awesome presets in your H8000, having each one a big fx, you need a processor w/4 DSPs to make them run at the same time.

Of course we could pre_cook a number of smaller/simpler fx to stuff wherever they are needed…but I have a feeling it's not really what you, folks, are after when thinking Eventide, right?

😉

I

SPOTS

I think you are right, it's not what we may be looking after when we think Eventide… but I believe it could be useful though… building up tracks with "lower quality" FX that still give a clear idea of what it's gonna sound like at final stage… then when it's time for bouncing we can use the full DSP power for each single track, one at a time. I believe that is something I'd be using quite often.

IDeangelis

What about "building up tracks" WITH the same quality as you have now?

I

SPOTS

That would work if the takes are final. In my case, when I build up a sequence/song, I keep editing my MIDI tracks all the time. Having to bounce the tracks again every time I make a change would be a real pain. But maybe you were thinking of another way to make it possible?

Sonic Nomad
      Participant

IDeangelis:

To create a MACRO, that is a ROUTING+2 PRESETS loaded at the same time, you can first create and store your Routing(s), then load one you need, load the presets you like…THEN store a new SETUP. The unit will ask you if you want to store the 2 presets too..to be reloaded when the SETUP is recalled.

Isn't this a style of life?

😉

I

When saving the new setup my machine does not ask if I want to store the two presets???

IDeangelis

It will ask you after you press SAVE. Works fine here.

I

Sonic Nomad
      Participant

I tried again and nothing. hmm….

IDeangelis

David

are you sure you are on the SETUP area instead of ROUTING?

I

Sonic Nomad
      Participant

er…. oops!! Embarrassed

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.