MacBook Pro USB does not recognize H9

Home Forums Products Stompboxes MacBook Pro USB does not recognize H9

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      dreamlink

Maybe I'm missing something? H9 Control app loaded onto my MacBook Pro doesn't see my H9 when connect via USB. Wants to go into Demo mode. Tried reloading control, rebooting and different power up sequences but to no avail. Bluetooth works great on the iPhone and iPad but I'm stumped by this USB option. Seems like the Mac is missing a driver?? All software versions, Mavericks, H9 & H9 Control, have the latest install. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Could be a hardware or computer problem.

Try a different Mac and see if it is the same. If it is, try a different cable. If that fails, your H9 may have a USB hardware problem and you should contact support@eventide.cpm.

dreamlink

Thank you for the quick reply! I did try 3 different USD cables. Should have mentioned it but forgot, sorry! Unfortunately I'm not near my Mac and won't see it for another 6 weeks. I could try a friends Pro in a few days. Hopefully it's not a hardware malfunction in the H9! 

dreamlink

Well the H9 is good! Tried it on a friends MacBook and it was recognized! Have to debug mine. It's an '09 and still works fine. Any suggestions other than buying a new MacBook? 🙂

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Not much I can suggest, The H9 uses a class-compliant MIDI driver that is part of the Mac OS. You could try looking at Core-MIDI or see if other MIDI devices work. If not, you probably need a new OS installation – it is broken in some way that is beyond our abilities to diagnose. Sorry.

dreamlink

I email the following to the support address you gave me….

"Hello,  My H9 can't be found by H9 Control via USB on my MacBook Pro. I tried the H9 on a friends MacBook and it worked fine. I just checked System Information on my MacBook at it sees the H9 under the USB section. I've downloaded and reloaded H9 control twice. I've rebooted the computer twice. I believe I have followed H9 power up and plugin procedures. Any ideas?" 

So for some reason the H9 Control app can't see the H9 (via USB, not a MIDI connection) while the MacBook can. The good thing, it's a software issue and not hardwear!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

When it "sees" the H9 under MIDI, can you describe what you see, giving all visible text ?

dreamlink

The issue I'm having is connecting by USB NOT MIDI. Again H9 Control does not accept the H9 connection while I can "see" that it is connected to a USB port in Mac System Information.

gkellum
      Participant

Could you open up the Audio MIDI Setup app on your MacBook, click on the Window menu, and click on Show MIDI Window?  Do you see your H9 appear there as a MIDI device?  If it does, you could try connecting to it directly.  In H9 Control when the no devices found dialog pops up, if you select the option "Manually select a device", you can choose a MIDI device there to connect H9 Control to.

Incidentally, what else do you have connected to your MacBook? We have heard from one or two users who had a lot of other devices connected to their Mac, but after they disconnected some of their other devices, H9 Control found their H9 without any problems.

dreamlink

I have tried disconnecting other USB devices and have connected directly to the USB port on the MacBook and no change. However I haven't tried the MIDI route but will try it. I'm away from my computer for a few days and will keep you posted. Tnx to you both for your suggestions! 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I was unclear – when you connect by USB, the H9 will appear as a MIDI device. The same applies whn you connect by actual DIN5 MIDI.

It might be helpful if you try both and tell us what you see under CoreMIDI.

dreamlink

I'm not very familiar with MIDI so this will be a chance to do some exploring. I'll let you know what happens in a few days. Tnx again!

dreamlink

I have it now! Had to set MIDI manually when starting up H9 Control. It's a work around but at least I can get in there and manipulate the presets, etc. I did try this a few times but can't remember if the USB drop down boxes appeared with the USB option or not?? I did consider that but then again I'm not proficient with MIDI. I was assuming the DIN connecters for MIDI only.

Tnx for your help! 

gkellum
      Participant

If a device is connected over USB normally H9 Control will just auto connect to it.  The only case where you'd need to manually connect to it would be if it appeared as a MIDI device with a name we weren't expecting it to have and that almost certainly isn't the case for you.  That only seems to happen on Windows XP.

By the way H9 Control isn't auto-reconnecting properly to devices that are manually connected this way when it's closed and reopened.  That should be fixed in the next release though which should come out later this week.

gkellum
      Participant

There's a new version of H9 Control out that should auto reconnect properly to an H9 when connected via MIDI.  It also has support for Bluetooth on Mac OS X and Windows.  So, instead of connecting over MIDI, you could connect to your H9 over Bluetooth on your Mac by going to the Devices menu in the Mac menu bar and selecting "Connect via Bluetooth".

http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivision/Support/Stompboxes/H9.aspx

dreamlink

Update… loaded the new Mac version a few weeks ago and it all works as it should! Tnx for the help!

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.