Making an octave preset that defaults to expression toe-up?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Making an octave preset that defaults to expression toe-up?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      terich
      Participant

Hey there! 

I use an expression pedal to control a Whammy-esque octave up / octave down. It defaults to octave down / heel position. However, I often need to quickly switch from one preset back to whammy but I want the octave UP (toe position on the expression) but I can’t seem to figure out how to do this. The ribbon element on the iPad is disabled when the expression pedal is connected. 

Is there a way to do this? I want a preset that defaults to toe-up on the expression pedal but otherwise behaves identically.

Thanks!

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Which algorithm are you using?

terich
      Participant

PitchFlex

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Just so I understand correctly, you're on your PITCHFLEX preset and you move your expression pedal to the Octave up position. Then, you leave that preset for another sound, but then, you go back to PITCHFLEX and want the sound to pick up where it left off, at the octave up position. Is your expression pedal in the toe position as well?

terich
      Participant

I’ll add some context to my setup. I have a bank of midi stompboxes that send a signal to summon the effects i need in my H9s. When I activate the Pitchflex preset I have created, it starts out on 1 octave down. In a lot of cases this is what I want. But I have a few songs where I need the up octave as soon as I click (e.g. I don’t want to have to hit the expression pedal too.)

Basically I want the same present but I want it to have the octave up activated when I load the preset. Right now it always loads to the octave down position.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

The thing to keep in mind, is that the algorithm doesn't take stock of where the expression pedal is until it is moved. The only way to get PITCHFLEX to give you the same pitch when you come back to it is creating a preset where the HEEL position is set to start at your original preset's TOE pitch. But, as soon as you move the expression pedal, it reverses the direction of the pitch control (because you already started in the higher octave). If all you need is to hear the pitch where you originally left off, this works. But if you need to continue using the pedal after going back to PITCHFLEX this is not going to work, unless you can deal with it functioning in the opposite direction.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

I was able to do it using MIDI. I connected my expression pedal to my MIDI controller and assigned it CC#0.

1) I programmed Button 1 on my controller to send a program change to my PITCHFLEX preset.

2) i programmed Button 2 on my controller to send a program change to the same preset, but it also sends CC #0 of my expression pedal with value 127.

Now, every time I press Button 2, it will load the PITCHFLEX preset but in the toe position. My expression pedal still works the same as before.

Try this and see if it works for you.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

I forgot to state that you need to assign CC#0 to the H9's expression pedal MIDI mapping. On H9 Control you can find it under the "Pedal Settings" tab, "MIDI Setting", then "Assign MIDI CC messages to pedal functions". Look for "Set expression pedal value (aka HotKnob value) and assign in CC#0.

terich
      Participant

Oh that’s smart. Gotcha. So… I would need my midi controller to send the toe up signal with the program change? Sadly I don’t think my midi controller does anything but program change, but that’s good to know

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Yes, one button press on your controller needs to send two commands, the program change and the expression value of 127, which corresponds to the toe up position.

Which controller do you have? I’ll try and see if it’s possible.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

According to the Molten Voltage “Master Control” manual, it does not send CC information. Sorry, my method won’t be possible with this device.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

The controller I use the most is the Morningstar MC6mkII. But I also have the Disaster Area Designs DPC-05 and the Musicomlabs EFX-MKV. Based on your picture, the MC6 would look great on your board and it's super easy to use.

terich
      Participant

LOL I totally forgot about this post but I have a Morningstar MC8 now and can totally do this

terich
      Participant
      joecozzi wrote:

Just so I understand correctly, you’re on your PITCHFLEX preset and you move your expression pedal to the Octave up position. Then, you leave that preset for another sound, but then, you go back to PITCHFLEX and want the sound to pick up where it left off, at the octave up position. Is your expression pedal in the toe position as well?

This would work too, but I was specifically thinking it would also be fine if I could load the preset with high octave by default.

terich
      Participant
      joecozzi wrote:

The thing to keep in mind, is that the algorithm doesn’t take stock of where the expression pedal is until it is moved. The only way to get PITCHFLEX to give you the same pitch when you come back to it is creating a preset where the HEEL position is set to start at your original preset’s TOE pitch. But, as soon as you move the expression pedal, it reverses the direction of the pitch control (because you already started in the higher octave). If all you need is to hear the pitch where you originally left off, this works. But if you need to continue using the pedal after going back to PITCHFLEX this is not going to work, unless you can deal with it functioning in the opposite direction.

I don’t need the pitch to be where I left it, I just want the effect to start in the TOE position instead of the HEEL position. And I’m fine to create a new bank and new preset for it, I just want two options: starting the algorithm in octave down / HEEL and starting it in octave up / TOE. Doesn’t have to be the same MIDI signal or pedal or channel, just need the same algorithm with two different starting points, happy to trigger them separately.

terich
      Participant
      joecozzi wrote:
      Yes, one button press on your controller needs to send two commands, the program change and the expression value of 127, which corresponds to the toe up position. Which controller do you have? I’ll try and see if it’s possible.

I use the Molten Voltage “Master Control” with the extra footswitches.

terich
      Participant
      joecozzi wrote:
      According to the Molten Voltage “Master Control” manual, it does not send CC information. Sorry, my method won’t be possible with this device.

No worries, thanks for trying! For the record, what controller are you using?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.