Mapping user presents to MIDI program change receive map

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Mapping user presents to MIDI program change receive map

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      JaiRamana

I’m not finding what I need in the manual or forum exactly so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I’m frankly very frustrated.

All I can seem to do using the control app is to select factory presets from MIDI.  Certainly we can’t be limited to just that?

So how do I assign any given preset to create my own edited MIDI program change receive map?

Thank you in advance!

Kirk

gkellum
      Participant

You didn't mention what product you were using, but the H9, the Factor pedals and Space all work the same in this respect.  The pedal has one preset list of about one hundred presets.  So, you assign your presets to particular preset list positions, and then you can use the MIDI program change receive map (if you want) to map particular program changes to particular presets.  But you don't really need to use the MIDI program change receive map for this.  You can manage different preset lists in the control app and just move your presets around in different lists instead of changing the mapping of MIDI messages.

JaiRamana

Thank you for the quick reply.  Sorry I wasn’t clear, I bought a new Eventide H9 Max and I’m trying to use it controlled by a Boss ES-5.

I’m sure it’s all very easy once one has sufficient knowledge. I just seem to be missing pieces of it and so I’m getting nowhere.  

The ES-5 doesn’t seem to give any options for MIDI control PCs other than 1-127 numerical.  All my H9 patches have the various letters for various types.  So this alone is one of my obstacles to understanding.  

I saw on a video that there is a way to change the patches to numerical.  But that was on a desktop version of the app.  I’ve only been able to get a bluetooth connection with my iPhone, not my mac desktop nor my macbook pro.  So I can’t seem to use the full functionality of the desktop version.  

I keep striking out.  Can’t find any videos that deal with my issues in sufficient detail.  

What I’d love to have is some real step by step help here if you can offer that?

For example:

You say I can “assign (my) presets to particular preset list positions, and then you can use the MIDI program change receive map for this.”  I know I can set up different lists and have done so.  However, as before, they have letters in them.  Can you give me a step by step how to assign, for example a user present from my list on my phone to the MIDI map? Say #1 or 001 on the map?  That would be so helpful.  

You go on to say, “But you don’t really need to use the MIDI program change receive map for this.  You can manage different preset lists in the control app and just move your presets around in different lists instead of chaning the mapping of MIDI messages.”  

Am I to take that to mean that I can still select those patches with presets on my Boss ES-5 for live performance without the MIDI program change receive receive mapping?  If so, can you give me a step by step example how that would work?  

Help here in detail would be most appreciated.  

Thank you.  

Kirk

bohan
        Eventide Staff
        JaiRamana wrote:

I saw on a video that there is a way to change the patches to numerical.  But that was on a desktop version of the app.  I've only been able to get a bluetooth connection with my iPhone, not my mac desktop nor my MacBook Pro. So I can't seem to use the full functionality of the desktop version.

Can you explain what was the issue when you tried to connect to your H9 on your Mac or MacBook? Any steps with screenshots will be helpful to us to help you on this issue.

bohan
        Eventide Staff
        JaiRamana wrote:

You say I can "assign (my) presets to particular preset list positions, and then you can use the MIDI program change receive map for this."  I know I can set up different lists and have done so.  However, as before, they have letters in them. Can you give me a step by step how to assign, for example, a user present from my list on my phone to the MIDI map? Say #1 or 001 on the map? That would be so helpful.  

You go on to say, "But you don't really need to use the MIDI program change receive map for this. You can manage different preset lists in the control app and just move your presets around in different lists instead of changing the mapping of MIDI messages."  

Am I to take that to mean that I can still select those patches with presets on my Boss ES-5 for live performance without the MIDI program change receive mapping?  If so, can you give me a step by step example how that would work?

It seems that you're very confused about MIDI, and the hierarchy of presets and preset lists. 

First, I'm gonna talk about presets and preset lists. In H9 Control, there is a "Presets" screen and a "Preset Lists" screen. Under "Presets", you can see and edit all Factory  and User presets. But remember, all these presets are local on your phone (or pad/PC/Mac). Under "Lists", you may see and edit all your local User lists and the preset list on your H9. There are 99 presets stored in the H9. This is the list that you want to edit and assign to MIDI control. There are two ways to edit your H9's list.

1. In "Presets" screen, open your user preset, and click the "Save" button from the top toolbar. Then you can choose where to save this preset. Click your H9 (by default, H9-***** your H9's serial number), and select the preset index where you want the preset to be saved. See attachments 1 & 2.
        2. Or you can do this in the "Lists" screen: Click your H9's icon on the left to go to its list; click the preset that you want to change; choose the user preset you edited that you want to add to the unit's list, click save. See attachments 3 & 4.

Now you should be able to edit the list on your H9. Now let's talk about MIDI. For guitarists and pedal users, normally there are just two types of MIDI messages that need to be considered: CC messages and PC messages. In your case, you just want to switch presets using your pedal controller. So you just need to take care of MIDI PC messages. H9 and H9 Control are super flexible and easy to use in term of MIDI mapping. If you click the "Pedal" screen in H9 Control, and go to "MIDI Settings", then "Program Change receive map", you will see the preset list on your H9 is already mapped to certain PC messages by default (see attachment 5). Now what you need to do is simply assigning those MIDI PC messages to your preset in your Boss ES-5. For example, if you want a preset on your ES-5 to load the preset 1 in H9, you need to assign MIDI PC 0 to that preset on your ES-5. However, if you have more questions about setting up ES-5, I would be willing to spend some time helping you out, but I don't own an ES-5 so BOSS people may have better answers for you.

Tdavito103161
        Participant

hello,

I am attempting to create presets and assign program changes with 4 Eventide Factor pedals using H9 Control on a windows pc.

modfactor,
        pitchfactor,
        timefactor,
        and space.

I have 10 presets on each pedal that I put in the first 10 preset slots.

midi controller pedals I am using: Rocktron Midimate, midi out to

midi in on Rocktron Patchmate Loop8 Floor. midi out/thru to

midi in on Eventide Factor pedals, linked together(midi out/thru) .

I want to set each Eventide pedal on a different midi channel (channels 2-5). the PatchMate will operate on midi channel 1. So I want to have my gear set up on 5 different midi channels. I have set up the Midi Mate to broadcast on each channel and recall different presets from each device for each Midi Mate preset. I am not really sure how to go about setting this up….

using H9 Control, I want to create presets and set up program changes with my 4 Eventide pedals.

Any information that could help me set this up with the Eventide Factor pedals would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

JaiRamana

As to the question about what is happening with bluetooth on the desktop apps with my Mac desktop and the lap top, I select the H9’s signal from the bluetooth devices listed.  (Note, I have to restart the H9 to get the H9 to show up in the list.  I have not chaned the bluetooth name, so it is my serial code (19187 if I recall).  

I get the message “connecting” but then nothing happens, pin wheel just keeps spinning.  No dialog box for the Pin to be input comes up.  Eventually it times out and gives an error message.  

At first I thought it was that I was using my old mac desktop.  So I tried on my wife’s new macbook pro.  Same result. I turned off my phone thinking that since I paired to it first, that may be the issue (and it may still be?) but I still had the same result, no pin dialog box ever comes up and it eventually errors out.  

As to the post regarding MIDI receive mapping, I’ve used MIDI before, but the letters in the presets threw me off.  And frankly they still do.

I tried to do some things on the control app to verify the help response, but I had to use demo mode because I wasn’t with my H9 physically, so naturally the MIDI change receive map was not populating with the actual patch names, so I will try again once I get home with the actual unit.

Thanks for the help.  To be continued…

bohan
        Eventide Staff
        JaiRamana wrote:

At first I thought it was that I was using my old mac desktop.  So I tried on my wife's new macbook pro.  Same result. I turned off my phone thinking that since I paired to it first, that may be the issue (and it may still be?) but I still had the same result, no pin dialog box ever comes up and it eventually errors out.  

Yes, H9 can be only connected to one device. Please try connecting to it again when your H9 is available. And take some screenshots so I know which window you are talking about. Please try to connect to your H9 in H9 Control, rather than the Bluetooth window from the System Preferences on your Mac.

JaiRamana

Hi,

Please note, my phone was not connected via bluetooth when I made the attempts.  To clarify, I was only concerned that my phone being in the vacinity at all was causing an error so I turned it off to remove all doubt, but I was not on the app on my phone and had closed it out entirely even attempting to get on the desktop versions.  And for the record, I did try to pair through the app, not on the computer’s bluetooth.  I did the attempts in-app.  After it failed a couple times I tried doing the computer route also, but still was not able to pair with the desk top or laptop.  

As to getting the MIDI program change map working for me with my own presets we have success, thank you!  I am now able to switch patches from the ES-5, once I’ve set them up and saved them to the H9 (SN is 29187, not 19 btw), and selected where they fall in the map (PC#).  

I want to compliment you all on making it easy to select wet/dtry 1, 2 or stereo for each patch as well.  This is brilliant and easy to use. I am running a 2 amp set up and it’s so nice to be able to easily choose how I want the patch to be, wet/dry or stereo, and since most the patches have a way to mix the wet and dry it really gives us great choices in the sounds we’re getting for different situations.  Totally jazzed about that!

Now I just need a core unit (or two) to compliment the Max and I’ll be set!

Question on that….I can run any Max algorithm on a core unit, I understand, but the Max has to be present, correct?  Or can I actually save patches to the core units I buy?

Thanks again.  

gkellum
        Participant
        JaiRamana wrote:

Question on that….I can run any Max algorithm on a core unit, I understand, but the Max has to be present, correct?  Or can I actually save patches to the core units I buy?

No, the Max doesn't have to be present and you can save presets with all the algorithms on your Core.  As long as you have a Max registered to your Eventide account, you'll be able to use all of the algorithms.  If you resell the Max to someone else, then you'll no longer be able to.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.