MetaEffects – Pair of H9s …

Home Forums Products Stompboxes MetaEffects – Pair of H9s …

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      brock
      Participant

… Or an H9 and H9 Core, or any ET stompbox with an H9/Core, or two 'Factor pedals.  There a few massive, but interesting threads on The Gear Page that I found inspiring: The Eventide H9 Owners Thread; The Eventide Owners Thread ….. Part 2; etc.]

Of course, effects have been chained together for decades; series & parallel. But the extensive, common feature set of the Eventide line make for some stellar combinations with multiple devices.  In my case, I'm using a PitchFactor toward the head of the signal chain, and an H9 near the end.  It didn't take long to come up with a dozen or so 'MetaEffects' that combine the features from two distinct algorithms into a 3rd customized 'algorithm'.

Does anyone have any favorite combinations using two Eventide devices?  I'm going to post several of mine in this thread, and try to stick to a format that can be easily duplicated.  Something like:

A brief description of the 'MetaEffect' combination.

Preset A – Algorithm / Device

[F]actory Preset Name -or- User custom preset (with settings description)

Preset B – Algorithm / Device

[F]actory Preset Name -or- User custom preset (with settings description)

Routing: Mono or Stereo.  Series or Parallel.

Expression, Aux, or MIDI control (if required)

brock
      Participant

Here's a good place to start, using two 'stock' algorithms from the H9 package.  I described a "voice-switching" technique for the PitchFactor in this thread.  That used an ADR III to split a mono signal to stereo with an autopanner.  Here, the panning follows the stereo pitchshifting.  Note that many stereo combinations can be summed to mono before and/or after the 'MetaEffect', and still retain the combined characteristics.

Pitchshifted trills alternate between channels at the set Speed.  Changing the Shape parameter defines the transition smoothness from side to side.  Complex patterns can be created with S-Mod and D-Mod.  Pitch intervals can be delayed.  Scale-constrained trills are possible by substituting a Diatonic or QuadraVox algo for the H910 H949.

Preset A

Preset B (in series)

brock
      Participant

This combination adds regeneration to the QuadraVox algorithm.  Preset A forms a picked arpeggio pattern in any key or scale.  Preset B can be any delay algorithm. Here, the Tape Echo provides some feedback for the dotted 1/4 and 1/2 delay times.  The added complexity overlaps the 'fingerpicked' pattern back onto itself.

Preset A

Preset B (in series)

brock
      Participant

This combo is a bit more exotic.  The Harmodulator envelope bends pitch down & up octaves over delayed time.  The magnificent UltraTap algo adds a buildup of additional downstrokes that begin just after the bends. Varying your playing technique between legato, staccato, chords & single notes can lead to a variety of rhythmic effects.

Preset A

Preset B (in series)

brock
      Participant

Slight variations on a single algorithm – then loaded into two devices – can extend the functionality of the algorithm.  With an octave down & a fourth below in one instance, and a fifth & an octave above in the next, four voices with different delay times can be spread out in a sequence.  It's another take on the pseudo-picking theme using dual H910 H949 algorithms.  Added feedback regenerates the 5ths & octaves upwards and downwards.

Preset A

Preset B (in series)

brock
      Participant

Think TremoloVerb here, with some twists.  The Crystals shimmer-like effect is slightly detuned, with some added reverb.  The reverse delays are spread out in time, and fed back to an extent.  The UltraTap chopper slices up both the dry signal and the trailing 2-octave up atmosphere from the Crystals preset.

Preset A

Preset B (in series)

brock
      Participant

I knew that I missed at least one TGP resource: Eventide H9 (SPACE, PitchFactor, TimeFactor, ModFactor) Settings Thread.  Lots of useful, single presets to be found there.  What I hadn't realized is that I never finished posting the MetaEffects pairs that I had uploaded much earlier.  More to come …

Preset A

Preset B (in series)

Envelope control over the pitch glides to unison (from up & down one octave).  Simultaneous envelope control over the tremolo chop rate.  The combined effect will be diluted if it's placed post-compressor.

The HarModulator provides a pitch – attack transient, while the TremoloPan slows down on string decay.  Leslie-like rate slicing follows the initial pitch sweeps.  It's also possible to "catch" the glides part way with sharp, staccato input.

brock
      Participant

This is one of my favorite "identical preset" pairs to load into 2 Stompboxes.  The first Crystals instance reverses the input; the second reverses its input once more.  It's a wonderful mix of dry, reversed, and flipped-forward-again delays that are slightly detuned.  Subtle at 25% Mix; increase to 50% for a stronger effect.  Unique, almost "random" delays, courtesy of the Crystals delay buffer configuration.

Preset A

Preset B (identical preset in series)

KCStratman
      Participant

Nice work Brock, some very cool combinations. I especially like the crystalchopper and doublereversecrystal. Very interesting sonic textures, thanks for sharing!

brock
      Participant

KCStratman:

Nice work Brock, some very cool combinations. I especially like the crystalchopper and doublereversecrystal. Very interesting sonic textures, thanks for sharing!

Well, I just had a short novel written in response, but I lost all of that to the Ozone.  I'll just post the Short Phrase Looping Technique variations that I derived from the "doublereversecrystal" presets above.

Preset A

Preset B (in series)

davebrubaker
      Participant

I’m just getting started with three H9s controlled by a Boss ES-8 switcher. Starting to organize which pedals hold which presets to create some sense of structure. The potential for experimentation is kind of mind blowing. To realize that Brocks posts are 4 years old makes me realize that I’m in for a long journey. Thanks for the inspiration!

brock
      Participant

This one kind of ‘died on the vine’.  So many possibilities, in serial, or parallel device routing.  I’ll dig up those images for you.  Soon as I can.  I believe they might have disappeared with the new forum restructuring.

davebrubaker
      Participant

Thanks Brock. I’m really excited about the power and flexibillity running three H9s with the ES-8. My board’s only been wired up for a week, so I’ve barely scrtached the surface. Trying to be disciplined about it, so I’m taking the time to dedicate certain types of effects to each pedal, depending on where they might sit in the chain. My wife’s already getting jealous of the pedalboard because I’ve been spending so much time with it. I’ll post the results of my experiments once I get into it a little more.

If you get a chance to dig up those missing images I’d be grateful, but if not, no worries.

Enron
      Participant

I’ll have to take some pictures of my setup. I used my two H9’s for reverbs. Since I beleive reverb is the biggest DPS hog, using two reverbs together is the best way to get the most of of the H9’s processesing power. I highly enjoy using Shimmer and Blackhole together.

brock
        Participant
        Enron wrote:
        I’ll have to take some pictures of my setup. I used my two H9’s for reverbs. Since I beleive reverb is the biggest DPS hog, using two reverbs together is the best way to get the most of of the H9’s processesing power. I highly enjoy using Shimmer and Blackhole together.

I’d be interested in seeing those.  I’ve used reverbs in parallel before, but I don’t recall ever running them in series.  Maybe a room ambience, followed by a larger reverb, with some pre-delay.

I suspect you’re not using them to lengthen the tails (BlackHole mentioned)?  It must be more about combining the textures.  Would that involve more subtle wet/dry mixes?  Combining two sets of – relatively tame – sizes and decay times, to form a Gestalt whole?  Separated EQ carving in each ‘verb, to span the frequency range?  I must try this.  My first thoughts involve creating contrasts:  bright/dark; large/small; forward/inverse, …

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.