Middle switch stops working randomly on 6 day old ModFactor!!!!!

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Middle switch stops working randomly on 6 day old ModFactor!!!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 34 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike Bernier

Hey guys,

Just bought the ModFactor last Saturday. 
      Love it.  But two days ago while using it, the middle stomp switch
      stopped responding.  I tried everything including shutting it down for
      a bit, but nothing worked.  I continued to use it and then randomly
      about ten minutes later the second switch started working again.  The
      same thing happend today.  I'm so excited that I spent $400 on this
      thing and 6 days in its giving me this kind of problem….   

Has this happened to anyone else?

Suggestions?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sounds like an intermittent switch – apologies, but this can happen to the best of products.

You should contact support@eventide.com to get it resolved.

Mike Bernier

Do you work for Eventide? 

I already sent an email to them. Hopefully they can resolve the issue quickly. 

I only posted to see if others are having the same issue.

Thanks

joeyray

Just today I emailed support with the same Problem. I too noticed the middle switch not working correctly from day one but, then it would work alright. Then it didn't. Seems I always had to push hard on it to get it to respond. My unit is over a year old. Well a few months back I went to new shoes that are very soft on the bottom and I thought that the shoe was to soft and wasn't operating the switch properly. This weekend I had to get down on my hands and knees and turn the fucking thing off. It's just plain sticking. Off/on. Dosen't want to work. The others are working fine.Like I said I noticed it from day one that it was contrary. Seem ed like I had to push on it extra to get it to work right. Well it's dead now.

I reprogammed my favorite settings to the other switch for now.

To top things off the unit went into some strange very low frequency unpleasant ocillation in the middle of a blues song. I thought the bass players was hitting all his strings at once going nuts or something but it was my amp. I thought it had blown a tube or worse. Nope good ole Timefactor freaking out and it wasn't even switched on. Unplugged it and plugged it back in and it quit for a few minutes then started the weird *** again. So I repeated the unplugging/plugging again. Same results. Then the band got a break. I repeated the before mentioned and same results again only after I switched out of the program that was in it's memory mind you it wasn't on at the time, no red light, did it finally get back to normal operation.

This thing is a little monster at times

TIMEMONSTER

made by FrankenTide

All kidding aside I love the pedal

It truly is a timemonster

Very powerful pedal.

Monstrous!

in summary my middle switch has been bad all along.

I will replace it and all will be better than ever.

Eventide,Devil just send me the switch or give me the part number and I'll solder that baby in.

Joey Ray

joeyray

mine has done the same thing from day one

now a year later it finally died all together

Switch is definitely bad

Contacting eventide support trying to get another one

Joey Ray

oyarsa
      Participant

I had to return the first Time Factor I bought due to an intermitent problem with one of the switches.  All is stable with the replacement unit though……..

Just a thought…..Idea

joeyray

Eventide is sending me some extra switches free of charge.

I will do the repair myself.

If I damage the unit during the repair it will void my warranty if not all will be well and warranty will still be good and I'll have some extra switches.

That switch has been troublesome from day one. It finally gave up the ghost.

The thing I love about the timefactor is you never have to bend over and touch it during a show.

If you could only see the readout in the sunlight. (That's the only Complaint)

I'll let you know how the repair goes.

Joey Ray

joeyray

The repair went perfect.

If you need a quick fix  for switch prblems.

email me

joeynorepect@roadrunner.com

RelicBert

My middle switch giving trouble sometimes, sometimes not.

Did JoeyRays fix, easy to be done. Looks like the switch working without problems now. Have to wait and see what happens in time . . .

But why is it the middle switch? Doesn't look different from the other switches . . .

robiox
      Hi Joey!

Could you send me information about how to order
      and install the switch?

Best Regards

Roberto

your email address is wrong
      embrionic
      Participant

My pedal went back to Eventide, was returned quickly and so far so good all switches working great.

joeyray

joeyray

replied on

22 Sep 2009 3:29 AM

The repair went perfect.

If you need a quick fix  for switch problems.

email me:

joeynorespect@roadrunner.com

email is now correct

What did it cost you if anything?

Trazan

I've had problems with, especially, the middle switch on mine since day one too…Are you guys talking about the switch being completely "dead" at times, or is it that it double triggers? It seems that mine double triggers and thus ends up doing nothing.

embrionic
      Participant

my switch was intermittent, i never had double triggers, just no triggers.  It would fail about one out of every ten presses, whether hitting it hard or soft.  If your unit is under warranty you really should just contact eventide and get it back to them for the upgraded switches. They were fast on emails, I sent the unti in, they had it about a week and got it right back to me.  All told it was just under two weeks round trip.

Mine seems to be working great, all three switches were replaced with a newer version switch, and unless I am imagining it, they feel more responsive, faster.

joeyray

Tarzan,

If you are able just take that thing apart and clean all three switches with alcohol

CLICK here to see disassembled TimeFactor

Click Here to see disassembled Switch

This is too easy

I cleaned mine months ago and have had no problem since

Now for my email

email me

john beddoe

yup, exactly the same problem for me too and my pedal is only 1-2 months old. Its frustrating to have to send it to USA for repair as i live in Australia and use it 2 times a week for gigs!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Apologies – we have now fixed the problem but this does not help people who bought units previously.

If you are handy (or have handy friends) with a soldering iron, you might want to contact support@eventide.com and ask them to send you new switches.

john beddoe

I would like switches sent to me please! Especially as i live in Australia and cant be without the pedal for too long. I'm competent with a soldering gun. I've tried emailing support but i keep getting a message that it can't be sent (the message).

Trazan

"I've tried emailing support but i keep getting a message that it can't be sent (the message)."

Yeah, I got the same Daemon-response. It seems like the emails have been delivered now though.

bhaberman
      Participant
      Eventide Staff

Hi John, we received your email and our support technician has responded.  Let me know if you did not receive it.  Thank you!

Trazan

I just received some switches in the mail. However….from looking at
      the back of the circuit board there seems to be two legs on those
      switches? The switches I received have four legs and they do not seem
      to line up with the solder holes on the circuit board. Did I receive
      wrong switches? Or am I supposed to remove two of the legs and try to
      seriously bend the two left in position…? Haven't desoldered the old
      switches yet, but this it what it looks like to me 😉

joeyray

This is a picture of a new switch and the right switch.

I encounter no problems when installing it.

You have to use a de-soldering tool because it is a double sided solder joint.

The solder traces are fairly durable but, you could lift one if you aren't very careful.

This is not a job for an amateur.

I highly recommend popping the top off the switch and cleaning it first to see if this won't fix your problem.

It did for me and no problems with it since.

If any one wants to call me I can walk you through this.

Of course eventide may not even post this.

They seem to have a problem with videos and pictures.

But if they post this my number is:

740 351 0402

USA

or email me at:

joeynorespect@roadrunner.com

Joey Ray

Trazan

That one looks like it'll fit. The ones I got looks like this:

Could someone from Eventide confirm that this is the correct/wrong switch?

achaput

Trazan:

I just received some switches in the mail. However….from looking at
      the back of the circuit board there seems to be two legs on those
      switches? The switches I received have four legs and they do not seem
      to line up with the solder holes on the circuit board. Did I receive
      wrong switches? Or am I supposed to remove two of the legs and try to
      seriously bend the two left in position…? Haven't desoldered the old
      switches yet, but this it what it looks like to me 😉

Hello,

You have to cut off the plastic legs to have the switch fit.

joeyray

I'm sorry

this switch is out of the Time Factor

Joey Ray

Trazan

achaput:

Hello,

You have to cut off the plastic legs to have the switch fit.

But, the switch I got has four contacts, in very different places than the two contacts on Joeyray's switch. My circuit board seems like it'd fit Joeyray's type…so I'm not sure how I'd get these in there.

joeyray

OOPS!

This switch is for a TIMEFACTOR

I'm sorry if I caused any confusion

Only trying to help

Clean them switches first

It's so easy to do!

I don't know if the switches are the same for Modfactor and PitchFactor

Joey Ray

joeyray

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1csp-U407y0:550:0%5D

I just called support

201 641 1200

then I listened to menu and then pushed zero (0) for operator

The person I spoke to said the switches were all the same in all the Factors. Then they changed their mind and said there was a change at one point. That they had had some trouble with some switches.

So at this point I'm going to assume that the switches are all the same and that person didn't know the full story on the switches and neither do I but, I do know this. If you pop the top off the old switches and clean them with alcohol and rotate the little plate around the switches will work like new again.

I just now popped the top off of one and cleaned it and put it back together.

It took less than 2 minutes!! WOW!

Turn the POWER OFF before working on unit!!!

Use a very small screwdriver and pry the button out of the switch…easy.

Clean all shiny parts.

Reassemble.

Works now!

You are crazy if you don't try this.

It has worked for me and others too.

Click here for Cleaning Video

Good Luck

Joey Ray

bhaberman
      Participant
      Eventide Staff

Trazan, it appears you've received incorrect switches.  The picture above with *two* terminal contacts is the correct switch. 

Please send me an email at bhaberman@eventide.com, thank you.

bhaberman
      Participant
      Eventide Staff

All, We've had a bit of confusion, but I've verified 100% that the switches above with the FOUR contacts are the correct footswitches in current use. 

Sorry for any confusion.

EdMcKenna

Best, most helpful post I have run across in these threads!  Thank you!!

Reckedtrek

I had problems with the middle switch on my out of warrantee timeFactor. I emailed Eventide anyway. They had me send it back as well as my same era ModFactor, even though the MF was not having an issue. I paid shipping to them in NJ. They replaced all 3 switches on both boxes (6 total) free of charge! …despite the fact that both units were past warrantee. They had a bad bunch of switches on the units earlier on, and made things right. THAT is customer service, ladies and gentlemen. I had both units back in a week total TAT (I live on the east coast).

ANY company can get a bad bunch of switches… but a good company stands behind its products, and Eventide sure has. Thumbs up to you, Eventide!!!

bhaberman
      Participant
      Eventide Staff

Thank you for your kind words Smile 

Reckedtrek

bhaberman- no problem! You guys backed up your gear and I think it should be said. I worked in customer service for over 6 years. People are more than willing to complain to their friends, forums, etc… about something going wrong, but rarely will they take the time to say/post anything when something goes right.

Hi Mike,

I'm a new owner of a Modfactor, great pedal.

I've been reading the posts regarding the middle switch. Alot of people seem to have problems with the "middle" switch. Since all three switchs are the same, I would think that the right  most switch would wear more because its constantly used for cycling through all of the banks. Is there a technical reason for the middle one causing issues?

Thanks,   David

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.