MIDI bug in H9 firmware H9_5.0.1?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes MIDI bug in H9 firmware H9_5.0.1?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      JCR
      Participant

Since firmware H9_5.0.1 the H9 has a problem handling midi data received from an external device (iPad). If I send multiple midi messages from forScore into the H9 only the first command is executed, the rest is ignored. If I want to activate preset 1 (Bias Tap Tremolo in my case) and set type to Bias and Depth to 42%, I send C000, B01700 and B01836. In firmware H9_4.8.0 this worked fantastic and my whole setup is based on this behaviour. But since the update to H9_5.0.1, required for running the Looper algo, only the first midi command is executed by my H9, the other midi commands are ignored!

I went back to firmware H9_4.8.0 to be able to remote control my H9 this way, unable to run the Looper though… I hope this can be fixed easily?

Thanks in advance

gkellum
      Participant

JCR:

I went back to firmware H9_4.8.0 to be able to remote control my H9 this way, unable to run the Looper though… I hope this can be fixed easily?

That first message you mentioned where you're activating preset 1: that's a program change message or that's a MIDI CC message that's toggling the active / bypass state?

I've compared the latest release to 4.8.0[1], and the MIDI behavior did change.  4.8.0[1] handled correctly being sent a program change and two CC messages whereas 5.0.1[3] doesn't. This is a tricky case though b/c a fair amount happens when a preset is loaded. We'll look into it though…

Another option would be saving all of these settings as a preset and just load the preset.  Is there a particular reason why you don't want to do things that way?

By the way as I mentioned in this other thread we've started working on allowing H9 Control to create a virtual MIDI port that you can use to route data from forScore to your H9 with. (http://forum.eventide.com/cs/forums/p/9494/44912.aspx#44912)  I bought forScore to try that feature out with and so far so good.  I was impressed by how well designed forScore is.

JCR
      Participant

gkellum:

That first message you mentioned where you're activating preset 1: that's a program change message or that's a MIDI CC message that's toggling the active / bypass state?

To set a preset by forScore I am using a midi program change message Cn. If I only want to select a preset one can select a programchange in forScore. But if you want to select a preset and set some parameters you need to use the Hexcodes option in forScore, which uses raw midi data. This is a bit more complicated but much more powerful!

If using Hexcodes, changing presets is done by sending midi Program change (Cn) as
      raw midi data. If I want to select preset 1 for a score I’ll let forScore send
      C000 (Prg change on channel 1 (C0, first byte) and preset 1 (00, second byte).
      Preset 1 is set, now I want to set parameter 1 to 50%, so forScore is set to
      send a Control change (Bn) message: B01640 (chn 1, param 1 (22, = 16 hex) and
      value 50% (= 40 hex)

In forScore the midi send window looks like this:

C000

B01640

gkellum:

I've compared the latest release to 4.8.0[1], and the MIDI behavior did change.  4.8.0[1] handled correctly being sent a program change and two CC messages whereas 5.0.1[3] doesn't. This is a tricky case though b/c a fair amount happens when a preset is loaded. We'll look into it though…

Maybe the extra added midi parameters to control the looper has something to do with it?

gkellum:

Another option would be saving all of these settings as a preset and just load the preset.  Is there a particular reason why you don't want to do things that way?

I have setup my H9 with a set of basic presets which are very
      usable. But with tremolo, delay or modulation one wants to use different
      settings. To make a preset for each variation is not practical. One
      would end up with way to much presets. I have a set of 28 presets already to choose from. Making variations for the most of them is not workable…

gkellum
      Participant

JCR:

I have setup my H9 with a set of basic presets which are very
      usable. But with tremolo, delay or modulation one wants to use different
      settings. To make a preset for each variation is not practical. One
      would end up with way to much presets. I have a set of 28 presets already to choose from. Making variations for the most of them is not workable…

Alright, fair enough.  We'll look into it…

JCR
      Participant

Alright, fair enough.  We’ll look into it…

Downloaded latest firmware v5.2.0[1] today. I love the extra midi options you guys added, but I still can not send a program change and two CC messages to my H9’s. Only the program changes are handled, the CC messages are still ignored! Is there any chance the MIDI input buffer behaviour is restored as it was in the pre v5 firmware. Back than it worked fine…

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.