MIDI Control unit placement for Eventide Space & Line 6 Pod 2.0

Home Forums Products Stompboxes MIDI Control unit placement for Eventide Space & Line 6 Pod 2.0

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      foreg

Hi,

I'm controlling the Eventide Space and the Line 6 Pod 2.0 (waiting for the Strymon Timeline) with a PEAK FCB4N Midi Controller. This controller allows 4 PC and 8 CC msg per preset.

My question is actually not so much on the subject of programming the units. Its on the order of the effects units is patched with the midi cable. 

Some how when I place the POD in front of the SPACE, the SPACE will not react to any incoming program changes, but when I place the SPACE in front of the POD both units receives program changes from the MIDI Controller. 

Can someone explain to me the reason for this? I'm concerned because of the arrangement on my pedalboard will take more space if I patch the SPACE before the POD 2.0.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! MANY THANKS!!!

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      "Can someone explain to me the reason for this?"

Disclaimer:  I don't own a Pod 2.0, but I didn't see any way (in the online manual) to enable a soft THRU setting.  That is, whatever comes into the MIDI In jack can be passed on THRU to the MIDI Out jack.  The reason that your alternate routing works is that (I suspect) you have SPACE set to [utility] -> MIDI -> OUTPUT -> THRU (rather than XMT).

With SPACE first, the Pod is at the end-of-the-line for the MIDI signal.  The MIDI OUT isn't needed.  If the POD goes first, the MIDI signal stops there (internal to the POD).  Again, wait for verification from an actual Pod user, but that's my guess.

Quote:
      I'm concerned because of the arrangement on my pedalboard will take more space if I patch the SPACE before the POD 2.0.

I'm wondering if your pedal layout can remain the same, using the working MIDI routing, and the addition of a longer MIDI cable (SPACE MIDI Out -> Pod 2.0 MIDI In jack)?

badmelonfarmer
      Participant

Hi there,

this is due to the way the POD is handeling the MIDI in OUT or THROUGH when it goes out of the POD and into SPACE.

Do you have Space and the POD on different MIDI Channels?

Can you set the POD's MIDI output to THRU rather than OUT? Because if you have it set to OUT it usually means that the MIDI commands that are incoming from the previous device are not sent out, unless it is set to THRU.

If you don't want to change the MIDI routing and assuming the POD does not send any commands to the space (eg timesync), you could look at getting some sort of MIDI splitter that takes a single feed from the PEAK controller and splits the connections into two …one cable goes into the POD and the other cable goes into the Space.

This would be fine, unless there is some interaction between the two, eg timesync… then you get into MIDI merge boxes.

foreg

WOW !!! appreciate the quick answer!!! 

got it!! 😀 yes i probably have to find another way in routing. I don't think the POD has the thru function. 

many thanks!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.