MIDI controller to trigger H90 hot sawz

Home Forums Products Stompboxes MIDI controller to trigger H90 hot sawz

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      ryakell
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Is it possible to use a keyboard style MIDI controller to “play” hot sawz like a monophonic keyboard? I used to have the novation bass station and maybe the h90 can replicate that for me coupled with a midi controller. I love this pedal so much. It’s like one of those huge open world video games that just goes on forever with what is possible. Thank you Eventide.</p>

brock
      Participant

The H90 doesn’t recognize MIDI Note input, so a ‘dumb’ MIDI controller keyboard won’t work.  HotSawz generates its own sawtooth oscillator(s) from mono audio input.

Something like the Bass Station does work, using its audio out for processing, and MIDI Out for CC control over HotSawz parameters.

It works very well with simpler waveforms as an input, for ‘stacking’ synthesizer voices.

ryakell
      Participant

I thank you for the reply, that makes sense. I bet even a cheap Casio keyboard would generate some cool stuff when using it the way you described. Thanks for the great idea. I don’t have the bass station anymore. It fell off too many stages in the 90s😄

brock
      Participant

Just about anything (monophonic) works very well.  I find that even some limited polyphony can be forgiving.  Some of my best results have been from simple sine or triangle waveform input; something with an amplitude envelope.  Easier to detect the fundamental frequency without a lot of harmonics.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.