Midi Expression Pedal

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Midi Expression Pedal

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      tater01
      Participant

How do you use a midi expression pedal with the factor stomboxes? I have a Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller with two expression pedals on it but can't get them to control the stompboxes parameters just like the expression pedal does. I can link midi cc to control one parameter via the utility menu. but cannot get the midi expression pedals to work just like a normal expression pedal. What cc or program change is the stompboxes looking for in order use the midi expression pedal?

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      I can link midi cc to control one parameter via the utility menu.

You're almost there.  Go to the same system area – MIDI: RCV CTL.  Look for the PDL entry as the destination.

Quote:
      What cc or program change is the stompboxes looking for in order use the midi expression pedal?

Any CC#; no Program Change numbers supported here.  If you're sure that the FCB-1010 is already transmitting and the expression pedal(s) are enabled, you can skip the convoluted Behringer programming process.

If you already know the CC#, enter it next to the PDL > cc#  entry.  Or tap the right footswitch again in this system section to get to the LEARN area, and move your MIDI expression pedal.

tater01
      Participant

Thanks Brock got it now. Just have to program each preset in the behringer individually, lame. But at least I got it to work. Thanks.

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      Just have to program each preset in the behringer individually, lame.

If you're a Windows user, you might want to look into one of the free editors, such as this one.  If you have the UnO chip installed, there are editors for that, too.  It makes life a little easier when you're setting up any number of presets.  Note: Turn off the MIDI Merge function when you're uploading / downloading from the FCB1010.

peskatore
      Participant

I had a similar problem. Using a Yamaha MFC10 with a built in expression pedal. Those instructions did the trick! Now, I'd like to use the MFC10 to replace the 3 external Aux switches…

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      Now, I'd like to use the MFC10 to replace the 3 external Aux switches…

I couldn't get to the MFC10 manual without "signing in".  I did read the MFC Setup List document, and it seems to indicate that the MFC10 switches can only be programmed to send MIDI note values.  The 'Factors receive MIDI CC values, so it doesn't appear to be possible (without an external MIDI translator converting note numbers to CC values).

peskatore
      Participant

I believe the MFC10 can send CC values. I'd just have to program them into each foot switch. If so, do you know what CC #'s are attached to the 3 Aux switches?

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      what CC #'s are attached to the 3 Aux switches?

Any CC number from 0 to 99 can be used for MIDI control.  A Continuous Controller message has two parts, though: a controller number, followed by a controller value.  If you're using a continuously variable controller – such as a knob, wheel, or expression pedal – you might have CC1 (modulation) as the controller number, and the pedal will send a value somewhere between 0 and 127.  The value depends on the current position of the expression pedal.

Switches are going to be a little different.  You can still pick any CC number, but a switch will only have two states: On, or Off.  The 'Factor pedals will consider any controller value between 0-63 as "Off", and any value between 64 and 127 as "On".  It's going to depend on your MIDI pedal whether it just sends an "On" value, alternates between "On" and "Off" with each press of the switch, or perhaps sends "On" when it's depressed, and "Off" when it's released.

As I said earlier, I'm at a disadvantage on exactly how the MFC10 works.  But it can't hurt to try.  In the same system area where you programmed your expression pedal – MIDI: RCV CTL – look for the FS1 / FS2 / FS3 entrries as destinations.  These will give you the footswitch functions opposite of the 'Factor pedal mode that you're in [Bank mode functions in Play mode; Play mode functions in Bank mode].

Of course, the AUX SW system area can give you many more options than the 'normal' pedal switch functions.  Same thing in the MIDI system area.  If you want a specific function tied to the MIDI switch [Bank Up, Bank Down, Tap, etc.], just rotate the encoder knob to customize your setup.

As detailed above, if you already know the CC#, enter it next to (for example) FS1 > cc#  entry.  Or tap the right footswitch again in this system section to get to the LEARN area, and tap your MIDI footswitch for the 'Factor pedal to recognize it.  If LEARN doesn't work, you may have to go back and check your MIDI channels, OUTPUT setting, or the MFC10 transmission setup (both the continuous controller number and value).

If you have your expression pedal working, then your MIDI routing is already where it should be.  Just treat your MFC10 switches as if they're expression pedals with only a "heel" and a "toe" position.  There are other adjustments you can make (range limits for KB0-KB9), but that can wait.  Let me know how it works out for you.

peskatore
      Participant

After much frustration with the Yamaha MFC10 (mainly thickness on my part…), I was finally able to figure out how to assign MIDI CC numbers to the foot buttons. Using the "learn" mode, I got the Pitchfactor to see the buttons. Works like a charm… The Yamaha is overwhelmingly capable. But having this breakthru is inspiring me to conceptualize more setup possibilities with the MFC and Pitchfactor. Lots of fun and interesting music….

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      The Yamaha is overwhelmingly capable.

I looked a bit more into the Yamaha MFC10 in the interim.  What a killer controller, and such a good match for the deep capabilities of the 'Factor pedals.  And it's expandable, too.  The PitchFactor reacts with very fine resolution to the 'right' ("double-precision") pitchbend message, so I'll be curious to hear about your progress with this pedalboard.

Happy to hear about your breakthrough.  I think that you'll find that all of the hard work pays off great dividends over the long haul.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.