MIDI from H9 to iPad

Home Forums Products Stompboxes MIDI from H9 to iPad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Rezzy777
      Participant

Hi,

I know that the H9 can receive MIDI, but is it able to send MIDI as well?

I have OnSong installed on my iPad and I was hoping I could use the MIDI from my H9 to flip through pages of OnSong.
      I really don’t want it vice versa 😉

Does anybody have some experience with this? Many thanks in advance!

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      Rezzy777 wrote:
      Hi, I know that the H9 can receive MIDI, but is it able to send MIDI as well? I have OnSong installed on my iPad and I was hoping I could use the MIDI from my H9 to flip through pages of OnSong. I really don’t want it vice versa 😉 Does anybody have some experience with this? Many thanks in advance!

This can only be done through MIDI adapter or USB adapter cable. In that case, you just take H9 as a normal MIDI device, which can send out MIDI PC messages when you switch presets by pressing the right footswitch.

Rezzy777
      Participant

Really? What’s the difference between wired and Bluetooth MIDI?
      (I’m sorry, I’m quite new to MIDI)

And how can I disable the default setting of each FS? I don’t want to switch presets when I’m just flipping pages 😉

Thanks again!

bohan
      Eventide Staff

H9 supports Bluetooth for H9 Control connection but it doesn't support Bluetooth MIDI. It can receive MIDI messages wirelessly if you set up correctly in H9 Control but it cannot send out MIDI messages wirelessly.

H9 can transmi MIDI PC messages only when you switch presets. You cannot have the H9 do nothing but only send out MIDI. Sorry, H9 is a pedal but not a MIDI controller.

Rezzy777
      Participant

Wow, that’s a very clear answer, thank you so much!

But if I really want to use Bluetooth, is it an option to connect a CME WIDI MASTER to the MIDI OUT of the H9? Or doesn’t that make a difference at all?

And what about the BARN3 OX9, is that capable of just sending MIDI instead of also switching presets?

What do you think?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

We have not yet tested the Widi with the H9, but expect it to work fine.

Note that early H9s do not provide the power the Widi needs (but see other posts about a fix for this). Later ones will be fine.

The Barn3 is a simple (but useful) switch so does not send MIDI.

Rezzy777
      Participant

Ah, that’s a pity. So no solution there as well. Thanks anyway for replying so quick and clear!

Rezzy777
      Participant

So to bother you again, I just had a new idea 😉

I also own a Line 6 Helix LT which can actually connect to my iPad and send MIDI

(therefore the Helix is also able to flip through the pages in OnSong), but it’s all connected through a USB cable.

Since I don’t want the connection between these 2 devices to be wired, I just thought of another solution:

How about if I send a MIDI Command from my Helix via the H9 to the iPad?

Will that be a reliable connection? What do you think?

Rezzy777
      Participant

The serial number of my H9 is 27203, is that okay?

Rezzy777
      Participant

Just wanted to let you know that I now have a great MIDI connection between my Line 6 Helix LT, my H9 and my iPad.

– LT to H9 for switching Presets of the H9
      LT via H9 (THRU) to iPad for switching songs in OnSong.

I haven’t been able to test this thoroughly and in a live situation, but thus far I am excited that everything seems to work as expected with the help of my new CME WIDI MASTER! 🙂

Rezzy777
      Participant

…and the great help of all of you guys off course! 😉

Thank you so much for helping me out here!

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      Rezzy777 wrote:

Well Helix is the same as H9, which doesn't support Bluetooth MIDI.

You'll need something like these to work with your Helix.

https://www.cme-pro.com/widi-jack/

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDBT01–yamaha-md-bt01-bluetooth-wireless-midi-interface

Rezzy777
      Participant
      bohan wrote:
      Rezzy777 wrote:

Well Helix is the same as H9, which doesn't support Bluetooth MIDI.

You'll need something like these to work with your Helix.

https://www.cme-pro.com/widi-jack/

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDBT01–yamaha-md-bt01-bluetooth-wireless-midi-interface

Got it. Is it possible to put any of these into the MIDI OUT of the H9? And which one is better, do you have any experience with those?

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      Rezzy777 wrote:
      Got it. Is it possible to put any of these into the MIDI OUT of the H9? And which one is better, do you have any experience with those?

What's your H9's serial number. You may want to look at this post: https://www.eventideaudio.com/community/forum/stompboxes/h9-modification-midi-power

I have tried the yamaha one before, but I cannot guarantee anything nor can I recommend either one.

If I were you I may go with https://www.cme-pro.com/product/widi-master/ as it's newer. But again, I don't guarantee and you should do more research if you are sure this is something you want.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff
      Rezzy777 wrote:

Anything after 16273 is good, so you will be OK. I plan to try out the Widi next week.

Rezzy777
      Participant
      nickrose wrote:
      Rezzy777 wrote:

Anything after 16273 is good, so you will be OK. I plan to try out the Widi next week.

Oh that’s great!
      I just ordered mine! 😉

Thanks again!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.