MIDI help please!

Home Forums Products Stompboxes MIDI help please!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Gav RL

I’m sure this is a really boneheaded question with a very simple answer, but I just need someone to spell it out for me as midi bends my head a little.

My device midi signal chain is as follows:

Ableton > Space > H9 > MIDISolutions quadra thru > Moog MF104m & Pigtronix Infinity looper.

What id like to be able to do is the following:

Receive midi clock data to my pedal board via the Space from ableton. Have presets for each song we play live on the Space. Easy so far. Now is where I get a bit lost…. I’d like to send program changes to the H9, so essentially I can partner presets for each song with the space (I.e selecting black hole preset on space loads crystals on h9 etc etc). I want both pedals to be governed by the master midi clock being sent by ableton. THEN! I want the H9 to only send out the clock data, not the program changes, as they’d send the infinity looper crazy.

This all sounds possible to me, but I can’t get my head around how… So my question is:

IS it possible, and if so, how do I need to configure the Space and the H9?
      – I realise this requires a bit of a lengthy response, but any help would be gratefully received.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff
      Gav RL wrote:
      I'd like to send program changes to the H9, so essentially I can partner presets for each song with the space (I.e selecting black hole preset on space loads crystals on h9 etc etc)..

The Space will not send a Program Change when you load a preset by a Program Change. We should probably change this, but the thinking was that it might confuse things further down the line, and that this should be handled by the pedalboard.

Gav RL wrote:
      I want both pedals to be governed by the master midi clock being sent by ableton.

Sounds reasonable – make sure that the Space is in one of the THRU modes.

Gav RL wrote:
      I want the H9 to only send out the clock data, not the program changes, as they'd send the infinity looper crazy.

You should probably deal with this by setting the looper to a different MIDI channel, so it doesn't see the Program Changes. Your ability to do this will depend on how sophisticated your pedalboard is.

Gav RL

Thanks Nick. I don’t receive program changes to the Space, just clock data. I physically load the song presets on the Space. Does this mean it’s possible? – looks like XMT MAP would do it? (My H9 is in the post to me, so haven’t been able to test this!) I was thinking I’d set the Space to thru, and XMT map, the H9 to RCV Map, and to thru for the midi clock?

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        Gav RL wrote:
        Thanks Nick. I don't receive program changes to the Space, just clock data. I physically load the song presets on the Space. Does this mean it's possible? – looks like XMT MAP would do it? (My H9 is in the post to me, so haven't been able to test this!) I was thinking I'd set the Space to thru, and XMT map, the H9 to RCV Map, and to thru for the midi clock?

Alas not. The XMT map only works when you load programs from the switches. As mentioned earlier, it will not send a Program Change as a result of receiving a Program Change. We should change this….

Gav RL

Right now I’m confused. What I’m saying is that I load a preset with the foot switches on the Space.

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        Gav RL wrote:
        Right now I'm confused. What I'm saying is that I load a preset with the foot switches on the Space.

Sorry – my fault. I had assumed that you were using MIDI from Ableton..

In that case, you can set up the XMT and RCV MIDImaps so that you can load an H9 preset when you load a Space preset. But, if you want (as you do) to pass the MIDIclock, it will also pass the Program Change messages, so you should set the Space and H9 to the same MIDI channel, which should be different from the one your looper uses. Then. I think, you'll be good to go.

Gav RL

Thankin’ you. Looking forward to it turning up now. As an unrelated side issue, given that I’ve bought both the Space and the H9 new and am yet to claim any, that I should have coupons for 4 free algorithms if I connect them both to the control app at the same time?

gkellum
        Participant
        Gav RL wrote:
        I should have coupons for 4 free algorithms if I connect them both to the control app at the same time?

You should have 2 coupons for the Space and one for the H9 if you connect them both to the control app at the same time.  (So, 3 free algorithms…)

Gav RL

Ah! How come only one for the h9? – same price as the space! Tut tut 😉

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        Gav RL wrote:
        Ah! How come only one for the h9? – same price as the space! Tut tut 😉

I think that you get two for the Space because you have already bought its algorithms. The one for the H9 is purely a gift, so not comparable.

Gav RL

well, it’s turned up and it’s incredible. Round of applause. So far I’ve got the preset changed mapped as I’d wanted, prompted by the Space. Not had a chance to run it all on Thru yet contolled by Ableton, but it’s occured to me whilst I’ve been manual reading, that rather than write all the program changes on ableton too, I could just use Merge and send clock data only from ablteton now that I have the preset changes working already?

Once again though, amazing pedal. Could spend months just tweaking and creating presets.

Gav RL

^ well, the above theory was sound, but sadly as soon as program changes were introduced, the midi clock was massively unstable, rendering it useless. Oddly, the same is also true if the program changes are sent by ableton and my Space is set to Thru instead of Merge. It seems I’m destined to not be able to sync program changes between my two eventides live at all, which is kinda crap. The clock is as solid as a rock as soon as I ditch the program changes.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.