MIDI Preset Switching Question

Home Forums Products Stompboxes MIDI Preset Switching Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      mferrand

Hey All,

I have a basic question about switching presets using a MIDI controller.  I am using a MorningStar MC6.

If you switch presets manually, the preset number flashes until you hit the ‘Active’ switch.  This engages the preset.  I am trying to do this thru MIDI.  The preset changes just fine BUT it automatically engages.  I would like to have it flash until I step on the ‘Active’ switch.

Is there a way to do this?

Cheers, Mike

gkellum
      Participant
      mferrand wrote:

I have a basic question about switching presets using a MIDI controller.  I am using a MorningStar MC6.

If you switch presets manually, the preset number flashes until you hit the 'Active' switch.  This engages the preset.  I am trying to do this thru MIDI.  The preset changes just fine BUT it automatically engages.  I would like to have it flash until I step on the 'Active' switch.

Well, if you use MIDI CCs to trigger incrementing or decrementing presets, you can either choose to have the presets increment (or decrement) and load automatically, or you can choose to have them increment (or decrement) and remain in the pending state.

You can configure this in H9 Control by going into Pedal Settings, going to MIDI Settings, and then to Assign MIDI CC messages to pedal functions.  You can configure it on the H9 itself as well;  the user manual describes in detail how to do so.

mferrand

Thanks…

I want to increment (or decrement) and remain in the pending state.  I will give this a try through H9 Control.

Cheers, Mike

mferrand

O.K. – I tried to find a way to load and have status ‘pending’.  Is it done with the PR+ or PR-1?

[PR+] Increment PReset number without loading it

[PR-] Decrement PReset number without loading it

Cheers, Mike

gkellum
      Participant

Yes, I'm not used to configuring this directly on the H9, but according to the user manual on pg 36, PR+ and PR- increment and decrement without loading:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.eventide.downloads/Product+Manuals/H9-UserGuide.pdf

mferrand

O.K – Maybe this can’t be done.  One thing I love on my H9 is that I can be playing through one preset, use the right swtich to scoll up to another and not have it become active until I hit the left footswitch.  The PR+ or PR- will not necessarly work for me as my presets are not next to each other.  For example, I may want to go from preset 91 to preset 95.  Right now I have my preset range from 90 to 99 so it is easy to tap the right footswtich through the range.  I was hoping to use my MIDI controller to select ‘nonadjacent’ presets without having them load.

Cheers, Mike

jasperhoiby
        Participant
        mferrand wrote:

O.K – Maybe this can’t be done.  One thing I love on my H9 is that I can be playing through one preset, use the right swtich to scoll up to another and not have it become active until I hit the left footswitch.  The PR+ or PR- will not necessarly work for me as my presets are not next to each other.  For example, I may want to go from preset 91 to preset 95.  Right now I have my preset range from 90 to 99 so it is easy to tap the right footswtich through the range.  I was hoping to use my MIDI controller to select ‘nonadjacent’ presets without having them load.

Cheers, Mike

Hey Mike,

I realise this is an old post but I’m in exact the same position. Have spent hours trying to get my midi controller to be able to turn a preset on and off. Did you find a way to solve the issue? 

Best, Jasper

camn
      Participant

a) you should be able to tap PR+/- 4 times, just like the right footswitch.

b) There is also a lot to be said for just putting your patches in the order you are playing. Don’t be afrad to duplicate them in multiple preset slots. 

obviously, if you are more improv, its hard 🙂

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Jasper, you can save the presets on your H9 in bypass mode, so that when your MIDI controller recalls it, it will be called up in bypass. You can then engage it on the H9 itself.

If you want, you can dedicate a button on your MIDI controller to send a CC message to the H9 to activate or bypass it, but you’ll have to assign a CC# to the “toggle between Active & Bypass” function in the H9. There’s a couple you can experiment with actually. You’ll find them on H9 Control in the “Assign MIDI CC messages” in Pedal Settings.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.