Midi Question

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Midi Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Dario

There would be a way to send midi notes with the H9 or the Pitchfactor?

Let me know,

Thanks.

brock
      Participant

No, only CC0-CC99 (continuous controller messages) for the knobs or aux switches.  In addition, it can receive a MIDI Pitchbend message.  If I remember correctly, MIDI notes are passed through the devices with OUTPUT=THRU.

Now you've piqued my curiosity:  What would be your application for transmitting MIDI notes?

With another piece of external hardware (event processor), you could convert CC messages to MIDI notes.  It'd be awfully difficult to zero in on a single MIDI note value with the knob(s).  And the aux switches might only transmit two alternating notes (guessing 0 & 127, although I haven't tried this).

Dario

I will satisfy your curiosity: I'm planning to buy the Adrenalinn III pedal, it has an internal Apreggiator Sequencer, BUT It loops the same 2-bar note sequence regardless of what chords you play.

To transpose these sequences in real time, I would need of a midi keyboard. In fact by pressing any key below or above the middle C midinote will allow me to transpose in realtime these sequences.

My plan was to send out midi notes from the midi out of the Pitchfactor to the Midi in of the Adrenalinn III. But, unfortunately I see that I can't do it  with the PitchFactor or the H9 Sad

That's all, 😉 bye

brock
      Participant

Very familiar.  I have an ADR III (set to i-o) splitting out to stereo, with a PitchFactor and H9 downstream on the pedalboard.  I have quite a few options for transposing those resonant filter sequences, but most often it's a switch sending a MIDI note from my foot controller [FCB – 1010].

Dario

Hi Brok, talking about the Adrenalinn III, you said : " I have quite a few options for transposing those resonant filter sequences….", I'm curious, can you tell me more?

Thanks

st.bede
      Participant

I have a Kieth McMillian Soft Step 2. (Before that I used a FCB 1010 for a long time and I had no problems with it. I did use it mostly in the studio). The softstep 2 is almost perfect. Small, (so far) sturdy, amazingly powerful. The programing is a bit difficult but once you get the hang of programing the softstep, it is logical. There has been a few issues that I did not like but so far I have found way to accomplish me demands set up in the eventide pedals. All the foot triggers on the SoftStep function really well but I have a bit of trouble with the nav pad. I believe that a different pair of shoes would sort that out.

st.bede
      Participant

I should of though of this and (maybe it has been brought before), it would be cool if it was possible for Eventide to be able to both recieve midi and messages from the USB H9 control at the same time. If that is not possible maybe a tab in the H9 control app could somehow allow for a choice between midi or USB.

What happens is I program a preset in a Eventide pedal and then to program the SoftStep I have to unplug the USB. This stifles experimentation and creativity a bit. However it just makes it harder to fine tune between my midi control and the Eventide pedal.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

st.bede:

it would be cool if it was possible for Eventide to be able to both recieve midi and messages from the USB H9 control at the same time

Sorry – not possible. There is essentially only one port, which can be used for either MIDI or USB. When the product family was designed we had expected the USB only to be used for updating, and had not anticipated it being used for real-time control.

st.bede:

maybe a tab in the H9 control app could somehow allow for a choice between midi or USB

Better news here – H9Control can work over MIDI. Leave the USB unconnected, then hit the  "Manually Select a Device" button.

brock
      Participant

Aside to st.bede:  KMI makes some innovative controllers.  I've been very close to going that route on a number of occasions.  I think that I stick with the FCB 1010 because it's so big (and built like a tank).  Easier to "play" sets of PitchFactor harmonies, Looper control, etc.  Hard to miss in the heat of the moment.

Dario:

Hi Brok, talking about the Adrenalinn III, you said : " I have quite a few options for transposing those resonant filter sequences….", I'm curious, can you tell me more?

Thanks

I'll try to be brief.  Sometimes, I go with what you mentioned: triggering from a MIDI keyboard.  In the home studio, I have a lot of them, and live – I'll often bring a 49-key synth or 25-key controller with me.  And I already mentioned the the go-to process: Sending MIDI notes from the FCB 1010 foot controller.  I build a few one-off DIY MIDI boxes, so I have a few of those set up for specific tasks.

Nestled in with my rack effects, I have an 8-channel MIDI router.  Away from home, it's hooked up to the basics:  rack effects, pedalboard, etc.  In the studio, it's hooked up to everything else.  I can send MIDI notes from a hardware sequencer, drum machine, computer DAW sequencer, or rack FX device.  Everything is sync'ed together, and directed through the MIDI router.  I might have a drum machine pattern or hardware sequence programmed with just a few MIDI notes, and Start/Stop that from a footswitch.

I briefly mentioned the Event Processor above.  It has it's own Router channel.  So, I can fold that processing into any point in the MIDI system.  It does a lot of things, but one way to use it is to convert one type of MIDI message to another.  In this case, it would be a MIDI CC value to a specific MIDI Note number.  That little device really opens up the options.

Here's something that you might want to try.  When I first got the AdrenaLinn III, I recall controlling the 'arpeggiator' base note with a MIDI footpedal.  If you route a continuous MIDI controller to the Mod FX Frequency, you can change the 'arpeggiator' base note without sending it MIDI Notes

There are two options: Pedal 1 and Pedal 2.  The Source sets your MIDI CC input.  The Destination is what you want to control (MFr).  The Amount adds or subtracts to the current ADR III setting (default: E), and can scale or narrow the range.

One thing to keep in mind if you 'daisy chain' MIDI devices.  The AdrenaLinn III MIDI Out doesn't pass through all MIDI messages.  Even when it's set to i-o, I believe that it will only send the MIDI Clock pulses through that MIDI Output.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.