MIDI–USB vs DIN5

Home Forums Products Stompboxes MIDI–USB vs DIN5

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      sethster
      Participant

Is there any way to tell the H9 pedal which connection to use for MIDI ?  Seems like USB overrides DIN5 when its connected, and this can be rather inconvenient.

Thanks,

Seth

gkellum
      Participant

Well, you could always unplug the USB cable before launching H9 Control and then plug it back in after connecting via MIDI.  But if you want to connect to it via MIDI, why is it connected at all via USB?

sethster
      Participant

Well I am running H9 Control on my computer and, since I cant find any way to use Bluetooth, I have to use the USB port to connect to the H9.  At the same time I’m using the DIN5 connector on the H9 to talk with a Ground Control Pro. So I have to unplug the USB before the H9 listens to the Ground Control.  Very inconvenient.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Given that hardware restrictions mean that you can only use either USB or DIN, it is easier and more intuitive to control it by plugging or unplugging the USB than it is to struggle through the already large system menu.

Your complaint may be based on the above restriction – when we designed the hardware we expected the USB to solely be used for updates. We only decided to allow it to support MIDI to enable it to use existing drivers, so this is really a lucky bonus.

sethster
      Participant

Just in case it wasnt clear, in my particular case I dont need USB to support MIDI. I’m using USB only because I’m running H9 Control on my computer (Macbook Pro) *and* I cannot find a way to activate Bluetooth so that H9 Control (on the MacBook) can talk to the H9 pedal. I understand that Bluetooth is supposed to work, but I havent been able to successfully pair the computer to the H9 pedal. And yes, I have read and followed the instructions to the best of my ability. And yes, I can successfully run H9 Control on my iPhone using Bluetooth.

gkellum
        Participant
        sethster wrote:

Just in case it wasnt clear, in my particular case I dont need USB to support MIDI. I'm using USB only because I'm running H9 Control on my computer (Macbook Pro) *and* I cannot find a way to activate Bluetooth so that H9 Control (on the MacBook) can talk to the H9 pedal. 

Well, maybe, we should concentrate on why that isn't working.  This would be the first time I've heard of someone being unable to connect to an H9 via Bluetooth from a Macbook Pro.  You said you followed the instructions.  So, I assume you've already seen this section of the H9 Control manual:

http://ftp.eventide.com/ljdl/www/H9ControlUG/H9ControlManual_ConnectingOnMacOSX.html#Connecting_to_MacOSX

At what step in the process are things not working?  You said you can't pair.  Could you make a quick screenshot (Command + Shift + 4) of the screen you're seeing just so I know where exactly you are in the process?

Have you been able to connect any other devices to your H9 via Bluetooth like an iOS device?

sethster
      Participant

Well thanks for the response but I just went and got an iPad to solve the problem.  Works great that way.  WRT the computer, I was able to initially pair with the pedal sometimes, but the connection would immediately drop. 

gkellum
        Participant
        sethster wrote:

WRT the computer, I was able to initially pair with the pedal sometimes, but the connection would immediately drop. 

That's strange. That happens with the H9 right next to the MacBook Pro?  Are there any other sources of RF interference in the room?  (If the iPad is able to connect, I guess not.)  

You might want to try resetting the system settings of your H9;  that can clear up strange Bluetooth problems sometimes.  If you power it up with the right footswitch and the HotKnob switch in the upper left hand corner pressed, that will reset the settings.  This will wipe out any changes to the system settings you've made, but it won't affect your presets.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.