Mild, intermitten shock from strings when using H9

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Mild, intermitten shock from strings when using H9

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      cookiemonsk8ter
      Participant

I get a mild shock that feels a lot like static every 5 minutes or so when I am using the H9 I just bought. It didn’t come with the original power supply, but I have used it with two different power supplies with the correct voltage that are center pin positive on two different outlets in my house and the same thing happens. The pedal seems to function normally with no hum and the display lights are consistent. I am playing in the same kinds of clothes I play in when just using my spark and mustang lt, and it only happens when using this particular pedal.

Could there be some kind of wiring issue with the H9 even though there don’t seem to be any other symptoms with the functionality?

cookiemonsk8ter
      Participant

I also used one of those 3 pronged outlet testers and it is saying the outlet is set up correctly.

I don’t recall this issue when testing the H9 out at the shop, but I was wearing shoes and a hoodie may have been covering my arms.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

You should use the official power supply if you are having this sort of problem, as another power supply may be the cause.

That said, the H9 expects to be connected to a properly grounded system (it’s an effect pedal, not a system controller). If you are feeling shocks, it suggests that you have a grounding problem in your setup – this is very unlikely to be caused by the H9, but either way, you should fix it immediately – it is dangerous.

You may need professional assistance here. What I used to do was to connect an AC voltmeter between the guitar strings and the AC center ground pin – if this shows more than about 1 volt you should call an electrician.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

“could you possibly be willing to clarify the part about the ac center ground pin”

By that I means the ground pin on the wall socket you are using. If your electrics are old, you might want to try to multiple ground pins to be sure they are all connected. Be sure to get the right pin …

cookiemonsk8ter
        Participant

I ended up getting a backup battery power strip and plugged into that instead of any outlets from my home and the same thing is happening. I also tried another compatible power supply through the battery, which makes 3 different compatible power supplies, including a truetone with a cl6 converter, so I am fairly certain the issue is with the pedal. I tried plugging cables into the input and output on the pedal and not plugging into anything else and can feel it. I did buy the power supply from the Eventide shop, but I am not very optimistic.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.