Misha: mode change shifts octave of tone row?

Home Forums Products Eurorack Modules Misha: mode change shifts octave of tone row?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      darrenji
      Participant

Hi,

I’ve been experimenting with Misha, for use in a specific mode-related project, and I’m confused about how mode changes work.

Let’s say I set D for key and major for scale, and record a tone row that simply ascends the scale from D in a single octave.

When I play back the tone row, it does what I expect, I hear the notes of the scale in order, ascending.

When I hold down the Scale knob and change Ionian to Dorian with a single click to the right, D stays at the top of the solfège wheel.  Around the solfège wheel the F# changes to F, and the C# changes to C.  So the half-steps are where I expect for the mode, but the octave of the C has also shifted down, so now the C is the lowest pitch in the set.

Is there a way to preserve the D home/starting note, and the octave range of the tone row, but only change the location half-steps?

Thanks!

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff

Hello-

What you describe is a known issue, which we hope to address soon.

In the meantime, here is a workaround, which should simulate what you are after: attached below are the additional 6 modes of the major scale written as scala files (you can use the included “Major” scales as the “ionian” mode. You can copy these onto the SD Card in the MISHA/scl folder, and then, using Setup/Scales/Add via SDCard you can load these, say, into your U1 user bank so that you have U1-1=Major, U1-2=Dorian…U1-7 = Locrian. Then, when you switch among these scales it should work just as you like. (I.e., you will be moving from scale to scale in the U1 bank, rather from mode to mode on the Major scale). Let me know if you need any help doing that and how it works for you, thanks.

https://etide.io/Y5oW3

darrenji
      Participant

Fantastic!  Thanks!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.