Misha Sequencer options

Home Forums Products Eurorack Modules Misha Sequencer options

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      RPGould
      Participant

Big fan of Misha, have been really having fun with it. I would like to know of there are plans to allow to record sequences in a more ‘traditional’ way… i.e. repeating notes, using more or less notes than there are in given scale, more steps (maybe up to 256?? ok, 64 is fine…), etc.

That would be a really cool addition to the functionality of the modules, and I am sure that you guys would figure out other amazing sequencing and playability features….

samchillian
      Eventide Staff

Thanks for writing and glad you are enjoying the unit.

I realize this isn’t quite what you are asking for, but with the current functionality of the unit, you can kind of ‘cheat’ the number of notes limitation by first creating your tone row in a scale that has a sufficient number of notes in the scale, and then once it begins playing you can change the scale to the one you would prefer to hear the pattern in.

In fact, if you want 256 notes, in theory you could create a scale with that many notes to start with(!). But there may be a limit (below 256) on the number of notes allowed in a scale – I’m not sure, off-hand. Anyway, this is kind of a workaround for the number of notes limitation.

Similarly, there is currently a way to hear repeated notes, though technically they wouldn’t be in the tone row. Once you are playing back your tone row, you press and hold User 4(+) and then press “0”. This creates a repetition in the ‘play sequence’.

Anyway we do have plans to expand on the sequencing capabilities, and what you are requesting has been asked of us before, so we’ll certainly keep it in mind for future.

Thanks

Leon

samchillian
      Eventide Staff

Just realized you wrote “more or less notes” than the number in the scale. Actually, as things presently stand you can create a tone row with fewer notes than total number in the scale: you do this by pressing play after you have played the number of notes desired, essentially stopping the tone row early. Let me know if that works for you.

Thanks

Leon

capsella
      Participant

Hi,

New Misha user here 🙂

If I hold + and add a note with an interval button, say 0, while the tone row is playing, it adds it after each note rather than at the end of the sequence as the manual suggests. Is there a setting I need to change to have it only add a single instance at the end? Or am I mis understanding the manual?

Adding to the Interval Button Sequence

If user 4 (+) is pressed and held, then pressing an interval button will cause that interval to be appended to the end of the interval button sequence. One can even add multiple instances of such sequence intervals.

samchillian
        Eventide Staff

Hello- thanks for writing

I can understand why in your example it seems as if it’s adding a 0 after every note- and actually it is, but technically the 0 isn’t being added to the tone row. Allow me to explain.

There are really two sequences going on. The first is the tone row, which you’ve recorded. Once recorded, the tone row itself cannot be altered- you can change how it’s played back in various ways, but there is no way to add new intervals to it.

The other sequence is called the “interval button sequence” and it specifies how you are navigating your tone row. By default, when you first record your tone row you hear it just as you recorded it, advancing one note in the sequence you recorded each time. In this case, the “interval button sequence can be represented as {+1}

The best way to really understand this is to turn your clock off in the clock screen (and have no pulse coming into the clock jack). Then record a tone row. Just as when the clock is on, when you have filled up the tone row you will transition from record mode to playback – the red Rec light will go off and the green playback one will go on – but with the clock off nothing more will happen. That is, it will not start playing the tone row by itself. Now press “+1” repeatedly- this advances you through the notes you’ve recorded in the order you recorded them, just as you would expect. But you can also advance through them in a different order. For example you can go backwards through the tone row by repeatedly pressing “-1”, or go by 2’s (skipping every other note) by repeatedly pressing “2”. You could alternate pressing +2 and then -1 for example and hear a pattern related to what you’ve recorded but it will take longer to cycle, etc.

Now turn the clock back on – it should be flashing the “+1” repeatedly as you hear your tone row.  The interval button sequence is just a way to automate what you just were experimenting with manually above.  Let’s say you liked what you heard when you played +1, -2, +3 in a cycle. So turn the clock back on and while the tone row is playing, now using the method you described (press and hold user 4 plus an interval button), add the second two of those 3 intervals to the interval sequence (the first, “+1” is already in there). As you add them you will see that the lights light up to indicate which one is being “played”. This sequence can be represented as {+1,-2,+3}, and it just means that the next note in the tone row will be determined by where you are in the interval sequence; I.e, first you will move one forward in your tone row, then back two and then three forward and then that cycle will repeat. This is an interesting way to get complexity out of your patterns, depending on how those intervals – and the length of the interval button sequence – relate to the number of notes in the original tone row.

As I mentioned, as  far as what you are trying to do – add an interval to an already recorded tone row – at the present time we don’t allow the user a way to do that.

Let me know if that makes things clearer.

Leon

RPGould
      Participant

Glad to hear that you guys are considering alternative ways to work with the sequencer! Interesting suggestion, and will definitely give it a try. I guess what I was trying to say is that in addition to the already very interesting way Misha works, to also implement an option to have the sequencer work as a kind of looper where whatever you play using the interval keys gets recorded. So if I just wanted to play the same note twenty times and decide to end the loop there, that is what gets played back. Or if say I had C major pentatonic as my scale, and I play CCA C A A GGG CCC E C A C G A E C (leaving out one of the notes of the scale – or whatever) that is what gets played back.

Very excited to see what you guys come up with with future firmware (and new gear in general!!) !!

samchillian
      Eventide Staff

RP Gould-

Thanks- yeah we’ve heard something similar from other users. I realize that the tone row can be a little restrictive – in our defense we felt it was Misha’s unique contribution to the sequencer genre, and theoretically if you wanted a normal loop you could just loop the midi or audio coming out of Misha. But obviously it would be convenient to be able to do it optionally from Misha itself .

<span style=”font-size: inherit;”>Anyway I appreciate your taking the time to post here- we will definitely look into this for future releases</span>

Leon

capsella
      Participant

I’ve found I can get some good variety by sending a Euclidean trigger sequence in rather than a clock, just remember to set clock ppq to 1 (don’t ask how long it took me to realize that was why it wasn’t working at first 😉)

Ste75019
      Participant

Hi Leon, hi everyone, is it possible to create silent notes when recording a sequence ? Moments of silence ?
      🙂

thank you in advance

samchillian
        Eventide Staff

Hello – thanks for writing

So the way things currently stand, once a tone row is recorded, it can’t be altered

But you can see in my reply to RP Gould above (#167765 – December 16, 2022 at 9:11 am), you can alter _how_ the tone row is played back, including by inserting special events into the “interval sequence”. One of those special events is a rest.

To try this out, first read the reply I reference above, and then once a tone row is playing and you are on the play mode screen (where you may see “PRIME” at top left), then press/hold user 4 (“+”) and press the UNDO key (⎌). At first this will just play the tone row at half speed, basically, but as you add other intervals to the interval sequence (press/hold user 4 (“+”) and press the interval buttons (“+1”, etc)), you can get that rest to appear only occasionally.

Let me know if that at least gives you something of what you are interested in.

Thanks

Leon

Ste75019
      Participant

Hi Leon,

Thank you very much !
      It works 🙂

samchillian
        Eventide Staff

Great!

You know, actually, there are a few other options you might explore to get some rhythmic diversity in your sequence. What I described earlier is the only way to get rests Misha’s output if you are using the internal clock, or an external one – such as a clock in, or MIDI clock – which is regular.

But if you have the ability to send in pulses that are not regularly timed – say you send from a sequencer which has a rhythm to it, including rests, say – then you have a few options:

With a tone row playing black, you can send an irregular clock pulse – say from a sequencer – into Clock In.

You could send an irregularly timed series of gate signals into gate1, where you have that defined in settings, say, to advance the sequence by 1’s, or 2’s, etc.

Further, you can set up the pair of gate/cv1 such that the incoming voltage in combination with a series of irregularly timed gates plays the tone row in some creative order.

You could even follow that last suggestion and turn off the tone row and just ‘play’ Misha externally with such a sequencer, with whatever rhythm that sequencer has going.

Finally – those above suggestions relate to driving Misha from an some external device plugged into Misha’s Clock In.  I haven’t mentioned MIDI, because MIDI Clock is intended to keep linked equipment in sync, and is therefore regular; however, I’ve been told that software/plugins exist to send irregular MIDI Clock, which could be another way to introduce some irregularity to the rhythm.

OK – hope that helps. We are always curious to hear what people are doing with Misha, so post links if you have any music you would like to share

Thanks

Leon

dave999z
      Participant

Any ETA on new features for Misha?

I’m having fun with it for the moment but I suggest Eventide needs to push more functionality in a firmware update sooner rather than later if this module is to be a success. As it stands it’s very hard to justify the hp.

First, need to implement independent sequences (and clocks or at least clock divisions) for CV1, 2, and 3 (beyond just chord mode).  This is critical.  Is this being worked on?

Then it would be great to have two of those sequences running while being able to use the interval buttons to manually play/perform the third CV out.

Also, an interesting technique from serialism is the orchestra in the aggregate (rather than each section independently) adhering to the tone row. For example, if there could be three separate CV note outs (routed to three separate instruments/timbres/oscillators), on three different clocks or trigger sources, and have the tone row assigned the next ordered pitch consecutively to whatever voice (CV) “fires” next, that would be very powerful. That’s what comes to mind first when I think of New Viennese serialism, which is what this module is going for, no?

samchillian
        Eventide Staff

Hello dave999z-

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately I cannot provide a timeline for any updates at the moment.

Leon

avoc
      Participant

I just bought the Misha and Eventide really nailed it. First time in all my Eurorack years that I can really improvise tonally with jazz musicians in a live situation.

But: Please please please add some more random/probability functions to the sequencer. If I can only have one wish:

– change to a random chord on every puls of the external clock (This would give us a much more interesting second/third voice leading)

Unfortunately Eventide just did a huge price drop on the module, usually this means they will stop the production, doesn‘t it?

samchillian
        Eventide Staff

Hello-

Glad you are enjoying the unit

Actually if I understand you correctly, the functionality you request is already in there, if you can split that clock and send it simultaneously to two places: clock in and X t/g In.

With those two cables connected, then go to settings/ cv in x:

range: make sure your range matches whatever is sending the clock

linking: unlinked (T)

trigger function: key mapping

Trigger mapping:

num 1:

type: chords

action: random

No other settings matter here

if you really want one chord per clock then you really should go into setup/clocking/ext clock PPQ and set to 1

I just tried this and it seems to work

you could also have it increment/decrement along the 9 chords

In that CV In menu you will see also you have other ways of varying the sequence

Let me know how it goes for you

Leon

avoc
      Participant

Great, thanks – I will try this out asap.

Then I can have another wish – which would really open up the live playing ability:

– Choosing the playback modes (prime/reverse/random…) via CV. Then I could play the Misha with my joystick

samchillian
      Eventide Staff

Well I’d recommend checking out the options in that key mapping menu- all those modes of playback are in there.

However in this case I think you’d need to connect another cable.  You’d connect the clock to X t/g in as before and then connecting X Cv in to your joystick should allow you to pick one of 11 different functions depending on its position

For this usage you’d want

linking: linking (T, CV)

trigger function: key mapping

Trigger mapping:

num 1: prime

num 2: retro

etc

anyway, experiment and see how it works for you

Leon

avoc
      Participant

I did check it out – an you are right: there is everything I want 🙂 Such a powerful infrastructure for composing.

But honestly, maybe some examples in the manual would help people getting excited. At the first glimpse it is not very obvious how much you can do with this module.

samchillian
        Eventide Staff

Thanks – noted, regarding your idea for more examples in the manual. I think you can see that the list of possible triggers is pretty comprehensive, so it’s understandable that a user might not realize all the possibilities available.

avoc
      Participant

Is there a possibility to get a trigger signal from Misha after a whole row is played? This way I could route this to a Trigger input and change the playmode everytime a row is completed automatically.

samchillian
        Eventide Staff

Right now we don’t have a way to send a signal once a tone row has been played; however, you may be able to take advantage of the “Play Once” feature in some manner to do something similar.  (It’s in that same menu, under the Special category).  So you could then send a pulse in to both set that off and change the play mode – it’s tricky though since you’d have to get the timing of the pulses just right if you want it to sound seamless. I haven’t yet tried this myself – let me know how it goes for you

Leon

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

If you have an external clock divider module, that would be a good way to accomplish changing the playmode every time the sequence is completed. Misha will send a trigger for every pulse, if you send that trigger output from Misha to the clock divider, then you will only have 1 pulse for every X amount of triggers depending on the clock divider settings. Then, send that back to one of Misha’s trigger inputs to change the play mode (or something else!).

pelang
      Participant

Is there a way to control min note and max note with midi or CV ?

There is a lot of power playing with the note range….

btw: deep and excellent module !

samchillian
        Eventide Staff

Hello-

Unfortunately, there isn’t a way for you to do that with MIDI or CV . It’s a very good idea though – and yes, changing note range is a powerful tool –  so we will log that request for a future update

it’s not quite the same, but if you know what key/scale you plan to be in, you could achieve this by creating different presets, each with a different note range. But I realize that’s not as general-purpose as you would like

Leon

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.