Mission Engineering SP-H9 expression pedal AUX switch not working

Home Forums Products Stompboxes Mission Engineering SP-H9 expression pedal AUX switch not working

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      lmcwilli
      Participant

Connected devices

Using a TRS cable,, connected  SP-H9 expression pedal to an Eventide H9 Max Harmonizer   Firmware: 5.9.0.2

H9 Control software v 4.0.1 running on Windows 10 laptop USB connection

Problem

The AUX switch has no effect.

H9 Configuration

Use Expression Pedal, Aux Switch, or Both is set to Both

Aux Switch Mappings: Performance Switch set to Foot Switch 2 (Ring)

Test Results

Using Digital Delay 1.. and 2, the expression pedal appropriately varies the effect level from 0 to 100 . But the performance-configured AUX switch has no effect on the Repeat. The red light on the pedal turns off when the switch is depressed.

Also tried Aux Switch Mappings Tap Tempo set to Foot Switch 2 (Ring). Result: Switch does nothing.

Suggestions?

Thanks 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff
      lmcwilli
      Participant

Yes.

I’ve tried the following configurations:

Use Expression Pedal, Aux Switch, or Both is set to Both

Aux Switch Mappings: Performance Switch set to Foot Switch 2 (Ring)

Alternatively, tried Aux Switch Mappings: Tap Tempo set to Foot Switch 2 (Ring).

Expression pedal worked but switch had no effect.

Tried above configurations on another H9 device. Even tried after a factory reset. Tried a different TRS cable. Same result.

Tried a Mission Engineering Line 6 pedal (connected to the H9 with an insert cable). Same result.

lebihanj
      Participant

This is James from Mission Engineering. The release notes for H9 Firmware version 5.9.0 indicate Eventide have made some changes to the AUX switch detection code. It appears this maybe causing some incompatibility issues with the switch function in the Mission SP-H9. We are in contact with Eventide Support and will see if we can find a resolution. In the meantime, if you have a Mission SP-H9 and wish to use the AUX switch function, we recommend using the Direct Updater and reverting to firmware version 5.8.5 which does not have the incompatibility issue.

lmcwilli
      Participant

Hi James,

Firmware does seem like a promising candidate for the problem cause. I’ll go back to v 5.8.5.

Tx

lmcwilli
      Participant

No joy with 5.8.5. Will try 5.2.

BTW, the attached screen shot shows AUX sittings after a factory reset. Which of these settings should be set for assigning Tap Tempo to the expression pedal AUX switch?

lmcwilli
      Participant

Went back to firmware v 5.4.1(7). Result Toggle Tuner and Performance Switch AUX settings work. Next, I’ll try v5.6.0(0) and see if it works.

lmcwilli
      Participant

Firmware test results: v5.6.0 is the most recent firmware version that supports the SP-H9 AUX switch. v 5.8.2(0) and newer don’t work with the SP-H9 AUX switch.

lmcwilli
      Participant

Re-tested v5.8.5. It DOES work with the SP-H9 AUX switch (I think a reboot was necessary)

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

It would appear that the voltage thresholds may have changed in 5.9.0.

We'll look into it, and, if this proves to be the case, will produce a minor update to fix it.

This problem probably only applies to the Mission pedal, so users of other switches need not worry.

apalazzolo
      Participant

I have been running 5.8.5(1) with an SPH9 and have had no problems.  

I did not update H9 control to 4.0.  I can only guess that my firmware would have been updated if I had and that is how I avoided  the problem identified by lmcwilli. 

mmperry1
      Participant

Same problem with Mission Engineering SP-H9 expression pedal AUX switch not working using Firmware: 5.9.0.

Had to revert to 5.8.5 to get it to work. Let us know when minor update is available… thanks!

vignesh
      Participant

I have the same issue.  The external aux switch is no longer working with the SP-H9 with the new firmware update.  I have to go back to the old firmware.  Please fix the issue as soon as possible. Thanks!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Hi all

We are testing a new version of H9 code which will fix this. We hope to release it in the coming week.

aljen
      Participant

Almost a year later, it still looks like this “feature” was not fixed yet. At least, my new SP-H9 does not toe-switch at all, neither with the built-in switch nor with an external one (btw, the same switch works flawlessly using an Y cable, along with a cheap Thomann exp pedal).

The Thomann 12 Euro cheap fantastic-plastic hat other flaws, like in a way creative “non-linear characteristic” so it is not really an alternative. 🙂

Please tell me it’s just me and there is already a fix out there. I like the Krankenhaus / Zahnarzt look & feel of the SP-H9 very much – but if the form doesn’t bring up the function, I’ll have to send this pedal back.

aljen
      Participant

PS. I am glad to amend my previous post. After downgrade to firmware 5.8.5, the switch still did not seem to work. However, an attached external (Boss) switch did. So I alredady presumed the hardware was out of order.

Making the long story short, the Mission toe switch in this pedal obviously needs to be pressed really firmly. 🙂 Think about kickdown in the automatic gear shift of your car and you’ve got the idea. I was confused at first, because if you simply rock the pedal into toe position, you notice sth like soft resistance, which you easily can take for switching. But you have to go beyond this to actually hit the switch. It’s sth you have to get used to first. I write this just FYI in case other people run over the same “issue”.

best regards

Thank you aljen, I also did not understand how hard you had to hit footswitch. Not a huge fan of the Mission pedal or their instructions.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.