Home Forums Products Stompboxes Mixing link questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      bohan
      Eventide Staff
      magnum wrote:

I tried 2 mics direct through a preamp to DAW= Dead silent

Then I tried the same mics just running through the Mixing link and noticed a high noise level, and as I said the sound of the mic was affected. It became more dull and sounded like a cheaper mic.

I tried the reverse polarity button but it didnt change anything. I was using the correct power adaptor. Im running it at low gain. Im running out the correct FX output into the FX and back. The noise doesnt sound like something's broken. It just sounds like the pedal adds a bunch of hiss.

What kind of microphones are you using? Are they dynamic or condenser? 

What is the "preamp" you mentioned in your post? MinxingLink works as a preamp, so did you add more gain on your audio interface?

We need more info about your setup. If the green LED blinks and the red LED doesn't light whiling using the microphone, it means the input gain is fine, and there must be something wrong on the output part, which could be either your audio interface (another preamp?) or your DAW's setup. 

I would suggest you use a pair of headphones to test your setup rather than your DAW. Because that's more like the way you are going to use MixingLink in your tour. You may just plug your headphones in the headphones jack on the MixingLink.

magnum

Hi, First time poster here. Love the Eventide gear.

I recently bought a Mixing link to attempt some live vocal FX.

Im setting up for a tour so I thought I’d check the sound of the unit on my DAW first.

I noticed the Mixing Link really colors the sound of the mic and adds a lot of hiss/noise to the signal even without the FX engaged. I wonder if I’m doing something wrong or if this is fixable problem.

I tried 2 mics direct through preamp to DAW= Dead silent

Then I tried the same mics just running through the Mixing link and noticed a high noise level, and as I said the sound of the mic was affected. It became more dull and sounded like a cheaper mic.

I tried the reverse polarity button but it didnt change anything. I was using the correct power adaptor. Im running it at low gain. Im running out the correct FX output into the FX and back. The noise doesnt sound like something’s broken. It just sounds like the pedal adds a bunch of hiss.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the Mixing Link being noisy and sucking tone?

Thanks,

Mavin

JWaltz
      Participant
      Hi Mavin,

Can you give us some more details on your setup?

How is the mic gain switch set? If this is in HI gain mode (switch in OUT position) you are adding over 20dB of extra gain on the input

which will add noise.

How are you interfacing to the DAW? set XLR out level to LINE (switch on bottom of MXLNK) if you are going to a balanced line input on the DAW.

There are other ways to interface to the DAW as well, depending how you want to use MXLNK. The TO FX output jack can support balanced or unbalance signals,

the same is true for FROM FX input jack.

jwaltz

eventide

magnum

Thanks! I tried turning the UA preamp I was going into down and turning up the mixing link preamp and the noice is gone!

You guys are great.

For live use in different venues each night should I set the set XLR out level to LINE on the bottom of the pedal?

Normally I think the FOH would run the mic inot a preamp, should I ask him not to?

Any hints for using the Mixing link in a live setting would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for all the wonderful gear. 

bohan
        Eventide Staff
        magnum wrote:

For live use in different venues each night should I set the set XLR out level to LINE on the bottom of the pedal?

Normally I think the FOH would run the mic into a preamp, should I ask him not to?

Yes, you should use LINE level XLR out. Just tell the sound guy that your output is balanced DI/LINE level. It can go to the FOH mixer directly.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.